Author Topic: Heath Ledger - the grieving thread  (Read 629955 times)

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Heath Ledger dead - grieving thread
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2008, 09:39:21 pm »
I can't get this off my mind. I don't even know what to say. I was driving and heard it on KGO Newstalk 4PM news. I'm just grateful I was stopped at a light when I heard the announcement. This will be on my mind for a long time. I'm so sad at the loss of such a young and talented life.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2008, 09:40:50 pm »

I'm not coping with this either Kerry!

I've just lied to a work colleague, who asked if anything was wrong. I told her I thought I may be getting a cold. I'll go have a bite of lunch and a nice cup of tea. I always feel better after a nice cup of tea. It'll wanna be a f***ing brilliant cup of tea to make me feel better this time, though. I think I'll go home early this afternoon. It's impossible for me to concentrate on anything anyway. Thank goodness for BetterMost. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't come here to connect with lmy fellow-Brokies. Reading your posts has helped. Thanks for listening, guys. I'm such a mess right now. I just need to be here, with you all, right now.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2008, 09:42:19 pm »
{{{{{Roux Wishes Kerry}}}}} People are in chat if you want to come and talk or just sit and listen.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2008, 09:49:30 pm »
{{{{{Roux Wishes Kerry}}}}} People are in chat if you want to come and talk or just sit and listen.

Thanks Shasta. I popped into the chatroom earlier but wasn't familiar with the protocol so exited. I'll try again.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2008, 09:51:05 pm »
They've updated his IMDb page..... There's that date now..... Hate it!

It's my first day of holiday and I'm leaving tomorrow. Don't feel like it a bit! It's nice to be here with everyone..

I still can't believe it's true. Damnit!

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2008, 10:01:16 pm »

(Full moon at Tent Scene 1)

I'm afraid I'll always think of Heath at the full moon now.  

I'm drinking an Australian shiraz in his honor, and crying intermittently.

There are two rented films sitting on my TV right now:  "Ten Things I Hate About You"  and "A Knight's Tale":  I had a Heath film festival this weekend.  As as a confirmed Gyllenhaalic, I came late to the Heathen table.  

I'll never forget the first twenty minutes of "Monster's Ball" where the seeds of Ennis were sown.  And, Leslie coming all the way down to Boston to see "Candy".  

And this fall, seeing the sneak preview of "I'm Not There" in NYC with Todd Haynes in attendance, the day after seeing Ang and James.  

So much you may have achieved, we'll never know....

Offline BelAir

« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2008, 10:07:34 pm »

chat is not working well for me, not sure if it is a my computer problem, or maybe it's just at capacity...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2008, 10:11:19 pm »
Oh gosh, I just started thinking, I don't live all that far away from where Heath lived actually, in the city and Brooklyn.

I was always thinking someday I would see him walking around somewhere in the city, and I would have a great story to tell everyone here.

I can't believe now that it will never happen.

I can't believe that it is all real.

I live two blocks from the place he and Michelle bought in Brooklyn.  When I got off the subway just a bit ago, I walked past it.  I'd seen a guy with a big video camera near the subway station and figure he was there shooting something related to Heath's death.  Was surprised that there weren't more paparazzi around.  I only noticed a handful.  There were a couple standing around the nursing home across the street, and I thought I saw a few on the house side of the street.  I was on the other side of the street and passed a couple with cameras.  I noticed they watched me as I passed.  That felt like the longest two blocks I've ever walked because I was trying to get home before I started crying.  The subway ride felt long too.  At one point, I thought I was going to throw up. 

I got a notion to go by the place in Manhattan where he died, but there doesn't seem to be a point to it.  Besides, I don't want to have to deal with the hordes of people probably there.  I might go by tomorrow on my way into work.  Maybe the next day. 

I saw him once in my neighborhood.  He was pushing Matilda in a stroller, and we met up at the corner of the street.  He was dressed way down, t-shirt and sweat pants and had on sunglasses.  His hair was in something of a fro, bedhead.  I didn't recognize him at first, but I noticed he was tall and attractive and tried to be subtle about checking out this cute guy.  It wasn't until we went our separate ways that it hit me who he was.  I turned around for another look and felt pretty giddy. 

I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it, but whenever I would walk by his and Michelle's place, I would always look at the house, glance in the windows as I passed, hoping for a glimpse, notice the empty water cooler bottles, the bags of recycling set out, what kinds of cars were parked nearby.  This past year, the house was painted a nice shade that looks gray in some light, green in others.  Before, it had been an ugly, dull yellow.  I thought about leaving a note on the door telling them how great the new color was. 

I told myself that it was stupid for me to be all starstruck, that I was not special to them the way they were to me.  Just walk on by and deal with your life and business.  But I would still look.  It made me happy.  Maybe that's one reason why his death has hit me so hard. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2008, 10:12:51 pm »
chat is not working well for me, not sure if it is a my computer problem, or maybe it's just at capacity...

I can't get in either at the moment... keep trying.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2008, 10:14:46 pm »

I was in a store at a cash register buying things that don’t really matter when I heard the news.  They had the radio on and I heard the name Heath Ledger, so I listened wondering what he was up to now.  The only thing I heard was “Heath Ledger, dead at twenty-eight.”

I stood paralyzed, an old man standing at a cash register, trying very hard not to cry about someone he didn’t even know.  It must have shown because the clerk asked me, “Are you all right?”  I shook my head, took my change and left wondering why he was dead so young, and I was still alive.

I grew up on borrowed heroes.  Wondering how they’d react if they knew  who I really was, what I really was.  It took half a century before I saw someone who would give me a voice.  Someone who, straight or not, understood well enough what I had gone through to be able to show the world.  Someone who could be my real hero.

I will miss him.