Author Topic: Heath Ledger - the grieving thread  (Read 629910 times)

moremojo

Re: Heath Ledger - the grieving thread
« Reply #360 on: January 23, 2008, 04:55:47 pm »
Peter Finch won a posthumous Oscar for "Network".
I stand corrected. Do you know if Finch was also nominated posthumously?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #361 on: January 23, 2008, 05:04:09 pm »
I stand corrected. Do you know if Finch was also nominated posthumously?

Peter Finch died on January 14, 1977. If the timing then is similar to the timing today, it would mean he died about a week before the nominations were announced. He died of a heart attack so his death wasn't expected. It is likely that the Academy knew of his nomination at the time of his death but didn't change it.

With Heath, it would be a very different situation since the movie hasn't even come out yet. But it still might be possible.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #362 on: January 23, 2008, 05:09:13 pm »
I got a call from Meryl and John a couple of hours ago.  They were at 421 Broome Street.  Here are two pics John took there.

Hm, I haven't gotten them to load to Photobucket yet.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #363 on: January 23, 2008, 05:15:23 pm »
My parents told me someone who died and that it's something I won't want it to hear. I expected it to be Britney (I am fan of hers), but when I saw "Heath Ledger 1979-2008" I was mortified.

I felt really numb after that, and I couldn't muster anything to say about it. I went back and looked through all my Brokeback Mountain pictures. And I cried myself to sleep.

I didn't expect this. I had no idea. I wish it never happened, and it's so hard to accept the fact that he's dead.

Hi Stitchy... longtime no see - good to see you even in these horrible times

xx
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Heath Ledger dead - grieving thread
« Reply #364 on: January 23, 2008, 05:23:43 pm »
I'm pretty sure that he cannot be nominated for or receive an Academy Award posthumously.

I don't have or know the official Academy Awards rules, but to my knowledge, there is not an official rule that one cannot receive a posthumous nomination or award in the general categories.  They may not be terribly keen on it, but I don't think it's forbidden.  James Dean was nominated posthumously for both "Giant" and "East of Eden." 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline BennyBoy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Brokeback Newbie
Re: Heath Ledger dead - grieving thread
« Reply #365 on: January 23, 2008, 05:23:52 pm »
I'm pretty sure that he cannot be nominated for or receive an Academy Award posthumously. The nomination he did receive for Brokeback Mountain was a well-deserved honor and a real achievement, even though he didn't win.

Of course, Jake is still here (and Michelle too, for that matter) to carry the overdue-award torch forward in their own careers.

I'm a bit of an Oscar guru..there are only a few categories that state that a person cannot be voted post-humously.  Honorary Oscars being one of them. 

However the Academy is reluctant to vote a deceased individual because they believe that it should affect the career of the artist. 

Peter Finch is the only actor to ever win an award post-humously (his wife accepted it for him) however many writers and composers have done so.  Bernard Herrman was awarded for Citizen Kane and Sidney Howard who wrote Gone with the Wind also won after he had died.
I want to know God's thoughts... the rest are details. - Albert Einstein

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #366 on: January 23, 2008, 05:27:18 pm »
Sure he could.

I would think that at the very least they would do some kind of tribute, outside of the usual montage they do of celebrities who've died during the previous year. I mean, big stars die every year, but usually not stars who are so young, so active, and so much at the height of popularity.

That is, if there are writers and if there's a ceremony.

Offline BennyBoy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Brokeback Newbie
« Reply #367 on: January 23, 2008, 05:35:18 pm »
I would think that at the very least they would do some kind of tribute, outside of the usual montage they do of celebrities who've died during the previous year. I mean, big stars die every year, but usually not stars who are so young, so active, and so much at the height of popularity.

That is, if there are writers and if there's a ceremony.

God I would hope that they would at least mention it outside of the usual montage since it happened so close to the ceremony.  Even if they just took part in a moment of silence...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #368 on: January 23, 2008, 05:41:25 pm »
Welcome to Bettermost Forgotten Spirit! I'm sorry it is on such a sad occasion, but we sure are glad you're here with us! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline BennyBoy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Brokeback Newbie
« Reply #369 on: January 23, 2008, 05:46:35 pm »
Welcome to Bettermost Forgotten Spirit! I'm sorry it is on such a sad occasion, but we sure are glad you're here with us! :)

Thanks David...I'm Ben by the way...