Author Topic: Heath Ledger - the grieving thread  (Read 629930 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Ledger - the grieving thread
« Reply #540 on: January 25, 2008, 12:33:05 pm »
I want to cut everyone slack in how they immediately handle shock and grief.  I have never been a bar and club person, but I sure see that some are.  I imagine she was just trying to feel better, and that it had nothing to do with disrespect for Heath.

Good point.

Part of my way of handling this for the first two days was to eat too much ice cream and surf Google News.

Don't let the tabloids get ahold of this juicy tidbit!  ;D

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #541 on: January 25, 2008, 12:49:36 pm »
Still, you had me laughing at this: I was even looking forward to defending him when he got old, bald and possibly Brando-fat and embarrassing.  (Of course, by then I'd be at best, a senile old man in Depends trying to feel-up disgusted orderlies, but that's beside the point.)  ;D

Thanks Meryl, I thought it was pretty funny myself.  I had just watched Away From Her I guess that's why I put that in, one of my biggest fears is being stricken with dementia.

I also appreciate the words of support from everyone else.  I feel so much better today, still sad, but healthy sad.  I could actually look at the EW cover with the gorgeous Heath photo, and smile.  I think I might even get it framed.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #542 on: January 25, 2008, 01:14:52 pm »
The point is that the right thing to do if one finds someone not breathing and in cardiac arrest, is to call 911 and start CPR without delay, and to don't stop till the ambulance arrives.

For people who are in an "I want to do something" mode, getting trained in CPR (or getting re-trained, if you're like me) might help. (It might help with the grieving, and it might mean that you'll be able to make a difference for someone else someday.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #543 on: January 25, 2008, 01:23:27 pm »
For people who are in an "I want to do something" mode, getting trained in CPR (or getting re-trained, if you're like me) might help. (It might help with the grieving, and it might mean that you'll be able to make a difference for someone else someday.)

Good idea, Mel. Where's the best place to look for local classes? And how many hours of training are required?

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #544 on: January 25, 2008, 01:33:17 pm »
Good idea, Mel. Where's the best place to look for local classes? And how many hours of training are required?

I think it's a six-hour course or so? I suspect Leslie or another health professional knows. It includes infant CPR and restricted airway training, too.

Groups that teach classes:

American Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/courses/
American Heart Association: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3011764

CPR is also covered in first aid, wilderness first aid, and wilderness first responder classes. One of the times I took it, it was taught by a nurse who was part of the local volunteer ambulance squad. Another time, it was taught by the head lifeguard at a beach where I worked. But I think the Red Cross and the AHA make it easy to look for classes on the web. For anyone in a small town, the local emergency service groups (fire, search & rescue, etc) probably would know.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #545 on: January 25, 2008, 01:40:14 pm »
Thanks, Mel! I always meant to take infant CPR when my sons were small. But like most of my ideas, it never come to pass.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #546 on: January 25, 2008, 02:09:47 pm »
Anyone else thinking that the Memorial Service that is supposedly going to be held in Los Angeles is going to be the Paps' wet dream?  :-\ I wonder how they wiill manage keeping that sufficiently private and dignified. I hope that it doesn't turn into a loud disrespectful media circus....

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #547 on: January 25, 2008, 02:11:48 pm »
Los Angeles = loud disrespectful media circus....
I don't see how it will be anything but.  :-\
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #548 on: January 25, 2008, 02:33:03 pm »
Anyone else thinking that the Memorial Service that is supposedly going to be held in Los Angeles is going to be the Paps' wet dream?  :-\ I wonder how they wiill manage keeping that sufficiently private and dignified. I hope that it doesn't turn into a loud disrespectful media circus....

If you're looking for a private and dignified memorial service, one will be held in Denver on February 9, officiated by our own RodneyWY! Check out the Grieving Forum for all the details or go to http://www.heathandjackie.com/.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Nikita111

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #549 on: January 25, 2008, 02:47:04 pm »
Heath is dead. Do you f!cking understand!!!!!!!!!!!

you are chatting some nonsense. where is the grief?