Author Topic: Heath Ledger - the grieving thread  (Read 629958 times)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Heath Ledger - the grieving thread
« Reply #680 on: January 28, 2008, 02:16:52 am »
I even looked for guidance, of how Ennis dealt with Jack's death, to help with dealing with Heath's.

Wow!
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Frank H

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #681 on: January 28, 2008, 08:52:25 am »
For all who grieve for someone they love - whether or not they knew them in this life. And wonder "Why...?"

The last sentences of the novel "The Bridge of San Luis Rey" by Thornton Wilder:-

"But soon we shall die...and we ourselves shall be loved for a while and forgotten. But the love will have been enough; all those impulses of love return to the love that made them. Even memory is not necessary for love. There is a land of the living and a land of the dead and the bridge is love, the only survival, the only meaning."

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #682 on: January 28, 2008, 10:41:45 am »
For all who grieve for someone they love - whether or not they knew them in this life. And wonder "Why...?"

The last sentences of the novel "The Bridge of San Luis Rey" by Thornton Wilder:-

"But soon we shall die...and we ourselves shall be loved for a while and forgotten. But the love will have been enough; all those impulses of love return to the love that made them. Even memory is not necessary for love. There is a land of the living and a land of the dead and the bridge is love, the only survival, the only meaning."

This is really thoughtful and appropriate. Thank you Frank H, for posting it.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #683 on: January 28, 2008, 12:14:09 pm »
It's been a strange week.

This time one week ago I was getting ready to go downtown to the cinema, to watch "I'm not there". Came back home after seeing the film and at once checked in here to write a glowing review in the Heath Heath Heath thread, especially happy and impressed with Heath's acting. All was right with the world as I gushed and raved.

:-\

Today I'm feeling a little numb, actually, it's been such an intense week and I've cried - and been online - for so much time. Trying to come to terms and to make sense. It still somehow seems to me as if this week has to be based on some alternate reality fictional tale that will be revealed to be just that - pure fiction. And yet......

At the same time I've got too much of a rational streak to not know that it's very real. Very final.  :'(

I chose one of contemporary women's tried-and-true ways of managing grief today  ::) - I went shopping. Came back home with a pair of God-awful striped socks (stripes of black, white, orange, purple and lime green!). I'm sure Heath would have approved. They're ready for tomorrow. And I also stumbled across a small silver yin/yang charm necklace - I'm wearing it now, and I think it reminds me that though Heath is gone, Jack and Ennis and their story will continue to speak to me just as intensely as before, and much of that is thanks to Heath.   :-*

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #684 on: January 28, 2008, 12:24:29 pm »
What a beautiful post, Mikaela. It really touched my heart.
Yes, one week ago the world was still round for us Brokies.

I was looking for striped socks last Saturday (found a pair) and came across a striped scarf. Purple, mind you. I bought both. Nobody will notice, since I've always loved stripes and own many striped items of clothing. But I know, that's enough.

Yesterday, I looked at some old pics of my husband and me (12+ years old) and in almost every pic I wear a striped T-shirt  ::) Even looking at old family pics reminded me of Heath yesterday.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #685 on: January 28, 2008, 12:38:06 pm »
((Chrissi)) and ((everyone))

Thank God we've got each other! I can't imagine just dealing with this all on my own.  :-\

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #686 on: January 28, 2008, 12:44:02 pm »
((Chrissi)) and ((everyone))
Thank God we've got each other! I can't imagine just dealing with this all on my own.  :-\

Yes, I don't know how I would have coped without having been able to keep a virtual vigil with all of you.

(((( Brokies ))))

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #687 on: January 28, 2008, 02:12:27 pm »
What beautiful thoughts and words have been expressed here.  Thanks, everyone.  They help.  I've been avoiding TV, newspaper and magazine reports.  For some reason I can't explain, I don't want to see them or hear them, so I appreciate being able to come here just to hang out sometimes.

And I'm glad to see those that found their way here and are being comforted, also.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #688 on: January 28, 2008, 02:12:48 pm »
Kerry, please try to think positively about this.  We all know Heath wanted to be in a town where he could be just another Joe.  He didn't want to stand out with a posse of friends in popular places.  Maybe he liked doing these things alone.  He wasn't completely isolated.  Someone commented how he let his food go cold while text-messaging.  He was obviously talking to someone.  I myself take myself out to dinner and lunches quite regularly.  I don't even have an ipod or cell phone.  I just have a book and I'm perfectly content.  I enjoy being a 'regular' in places that know what I want to order the minute I come in the door.  I can't speak for Heath of course, but some people are naturally loners and it isn't a burden at all.  It's much easier to be one in a large city than a small one.   

I sure can relate completely to what you are saying delalluvia. I feel sometimes that one of my big attractions to Heath was the fact that I do think he liked doing things alone which is very much like myself. I feel he was somewhat of a loner although of course I am not sure about it. I know I heard he liked to walk around the city by himself just fitting in, just being regular. And I understand what you mean that some people are naturally loners and it is no burden at all. That is me, that is the way I am and I never have had the desire to change that. I think one of the reasons I liked New York City so much is just what you say, it is much easier to be a loner in a large city than a small one. And the funny thing is that I have absolutely no problem just striking up a conversation with someone, spending a while with them, and then going back to my live while they go back to theirs. I have met so many interesting people that way. If I were with a group and were not a loner I would have never had the chance to talk or meet these people. I heard on the news that Heath loved to walk down to Washington Square and either watch, talk or play chess with the people there. They had no idea who he was and he liked that idea. I remember when I heard that I thought you know what I could see myself doing that exact same thing.

moremojo

« Reply #689 on: January 28, 2008, 02:52:15 pm »