Author Topic: Heath Ledger - the grieving thread  (Read 632005 times)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Heath Ledger - the grieving thread
« Reply #700 on: February 01, 2008, 09:02:37 pm »
I decided to watch my BBM DVD today.  I cried more than I've ever cried when I've watched it (in theaters, at home, or with friends).  I found myself crying most when I watched the intimate scenes of Ennis and Jack.  The tears really started flowing when they headed up BBM.  I expected to be really sad when I saw campsite number 2, because of Mouk's beautiful floral memorial i the snow - but I forgot about that scene of Ennis waking up to find his tent in the snow and that really got to me.

It's like fiction and reality have been combined into one movie.  All of a sudden there seem to be so many more significant parts of the movie with additional meanings.  Plus after having been to many of the filming locations this summer during the Alberta Pilgrimage, it all seems so much more real and I feel much more a part of it.

My partner, David, got home just as I was watching the credits, although we didn't see each other until after I finished watching it.  He said my voice sounded a bit strange and I told him what I had been doing.  I was grateful to him since he asked about my experience and we had a wonderful talk about the movie and Heath.  Although not really a Brokie, David said he's thought about Heath a lot these past few days.

It is hard to imagine how sad it will be to watch BBM with other Brokies next summer in LA.

I will end my rambling here.  Somehow words do not seem to be adequate.

Thank you all for your love and support during this time of such sadness.   :-*

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #701 on: February 01, 2008, 09:27:22 pm »
(((Pete)))

You're such a sweetheart.

I can't bear the thought of watching Brokeback again.  I hope someday I'll be able to.

No more beans!

Offline bec

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • myspace
« Reply #702 on: February 01, 2008, 09:35:40 pm »
I decided to watch my BBM DVD today.  I cried more than I've ever cried when I've watched it (in theaters, at home, or with friends).  I found myself crying most when I watched the intimate scenes of Ennis and Jack.  The tears really started flowing when they headed up BBM.  I expected to be really sad when I saw campsite number 2, because of Mouk's beautiful floral memorial i the snow - but I forgot about that scene of Ennis waking up to find his tent in the snow and that really got to me.

i put it on yesterday to watch and it's still sitting in my dvd player paused i could not finish the whole movie, made me cry to much, going to try and finish it later today.
i have watched a few of his movies in the last week and cried in most of them not so much at the movie but more that he is gone, but BBM was a bit of both which made it harder to watch.  :'(
Why so serious..............It's all part of the plan...........lets put a smile on that face

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #703 on: February 01, 2008, 10:00:12 pm »

It's like fiction and reality have been combined into one movie.  All of a sudden there seem to be so many more significant parts of the movie with additional meanings.  Plus after having been to many of the filming locations this summer during the Alberta Pilgrimage, it all seems so much more real and I feel much more a part of it.

Hi Pete,

Thank you for this wonderful description.  My experience watching BBM recently was very, very similar to what you described here.  Every emotion that we're used to experiencing while watching BBM was heightened and made more intense.  And, I completely agree... that somehow the scenes of intimacy between Ennis and Jack seemed even more intimate, private and powerful than they did in past viewings (it's hard to believe that's even possible... but that's how it seemed to me).  The motel scene was this way for me in particular.

And, you're certainly right about the scene of Ennis waking up in the snow.  That will forever be layered with meaning for BetterMostians now following the use of mouk's gorgeous photo in the condolence message.

Anyway, thank you for sharing this.

Hope you're doing well. :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 02, 2008, 12:12:27 am »

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #705 on: February 02, 2008, 05:44:42 am »
((Pete))

It's like fiction and reality have been combined into one movie.

I haven't seen it since. But that's how I feel just thinking about watching the movie  :'(

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #706 on: February 02, 2008, 05:51:50 am »
Yesterday was the first time someone in RL asked me about Heath. I was on the phone with my cousin's husband and he asked me if I had already heard about Heath. He said he and his wife immediately thought of me when they heard the news about Heath, because they know I love the movie so much. I'm really grateful to him for saying this.

mvansand76

« Reply #707 on: February 02, 2008, 06:46:55 am »

My partner, David, got home just as I was watching the credits, although we didn't see each other until after I finished watching it.  He said my voice sounded a bit strange and I told him what I had been doing.  I was grateful to him since he asked about my experience and we had a wonderful talk about the movie and Heath.  Although not really a Brokie, David said he's thought about Heath a lot these past few days.

It is hard to imagine how sad it will be to watch BBM with other Brokies next summer in LA.

Pete

{{{{{{{PETE}}}}}}}

I know what you mean, I was just saying in the HHH thread that I was watching Lords of Dogtown last night for the first time and I had to switch it off after an hour, because it hurt too much. I guess it's safe to say that I'm not ready to watch BBM yet.

Glad to hear your partner is supportive....

mvansand76

« Reply #708 on: February 02, 2008, 06:51:17 am »
Yesterday was the first time someone in RL asked me about Heath. I was on the phone with my cousin's husband and he asked me if I had already heard about Heath. He said he and his wife immediately thought of me when they heard the news about Heath, because they know I love the movie so much. I'm really grateful to him for saying this.

Yeah, I was wondering if people on here had similar experiences of people calling them and telling them that when they heard the news they thought of them. I got an email from an old co-worker who just said. "I'm so sorry, take care..." which was sweet, and then I got text messages that day from several people asking me how I was doing and that they thought of me when they heard the news.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #709 on: February 02, 2008, 08:29:52 am »

Pete

(((Pete)))

Good to hear you have good brokie husband too.

I've watched it again a couple of days ago. I posted this on another thread.

Well after I replied to Chrissi's post, I asked myself whether I would go to see it in the cinema if it had been on screen here currently. I think I would...

So, then I thought, what am I waiting for? It's not in the cinema, but I have the dvd. So, I put in the dvd and watched it again, this afternoon. I had the afternoon off, so I was all by myself.

And now, I'm glad I did. To be honest, I was dreading it a bit. But it was ok. I really got into the story as soon as Ennis got off of that truck in Signal. I hadn't seen it since we've been to Alberta last summer, so it was special to see the places we'd visited. I felt peace and warmth at the Dozy Embrace scene, just like I did when I stood there in July.

I cried at scenes I didn't cry about before. Hearing Ennis say 'Well, I guess I'll see you around then, huh' and Jack say 'Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it' was very emotional. It was tough watching the Alma and Ennis scenes...

But it wasn't very different that watching it all the other times. It was certainly intens, but I felt an even greater sense of appreciation for what a true masterpiece this movie really is. Because, this movie and Heath's Ennis, that's 'how come me end up here'. I owe you Heath.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'