Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1144379 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #260 on: January 30, 2008, 02:32:52 pm »

Yeah, but if you were going to do this, you might rather do it in an anonymous hotel, not your home.

And OTOH,  if you were to manufacture a tale about being picked up by a late celeb, and didn't know where he stayed in London since you'd never met him and that info wasn't very easy to google, your tale would likely be about a tryst in a hotel - one where you'd been before so you could give sufficient (false) story details if required.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #261 on: January 30, 2008, 02:35:09 pm »
I don't know what to make of the comments William Macy and wife Felicity Huffman said of Ledger. It's flattering at first, but then Felicity mentions the dark side...

"If he had done nothing but 'Brokeback Mountain,' he would be remembered for a long time," marveled Macy, who wrote and starred in "The Deal," which premiered yesterday at Sundance. "It was the most stunning performance I'd seen in a long time. My wife [actress Felicity Huffman] is from the West, and she couldn't believe his performance. It's shocking, it's sad. Felicity said it best: 'Sometimes, with talent like that, it comes with a dark side.' And I guess it got the best of him."

The comment about the dark side notwithstanding, it's nice to read such an appreciation for the performance from two such respected actors as Macy and Huffman.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #262 on: January 30, 2008, 02:50:16 pm »
Eric Roberts worked with Heath on the Dark Knight and gave his personal view of the "drugs question" as a recovering drug addict and alcoholic, and said he had no impression that there was anything wrong with Heath:

http://heathledgermemorialblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/beautiful-memorial-of-heath-by-eric.html

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #263 on: January 30, 2008, 02:54:16 pm »

:)  that was so nice and articulate, thanks so much, Eric :D
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2008, 03:30:50 pm »
I saw someone he worked with on "Candy" (I THINK the director...) on TV saying Heath worked very hard trying to learn how to act/think like a drug addict, and that the questions he asked about the character he was playing were not the questions of someone who had personal experience with drug addiction.

There's not many of us who by the age of 28 had not done drugs or gotten drunk to excess, even on a semi-regular basis. But that's very different from being an addict.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #265 on: January 30, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »
OK.... Now I'm just horribly depressed. This is so shitty. Some TV program called Entertainment Tonight or The Insider are actually battling with Perez Hilton concerning the legal rights to who will be first to show a video said to be showing Heath doing drugs and saying stupid things back in -06.

Just how low is it possible to sink? Selling that tape to the press... Bringing this forward and fighting over it, legal rights in hand - when he hasn''t even been buried yet and there's a family grieving.  I'm pretty sure Dante wrote of a special circle in hell for these people to enjoy themselves warmly with the Phelps family.  >:(

I don't think I'll venture outside of this Board at all.

(No I didn't go to any of their web sites to find out this - it's spreading even into places dedicated to honouring Heath.  :-\ )

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #266 on: January 30, 2008, 05:49:50 pm »
That's awful. And a sobering reminder of what our culture has become.

If I'd been a movie star in my 20s, and if everybody'd had video phones back then, I shudder to think of what would be out there.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #267 on: January 30, 2008, 07:10:16 pm »
OK.... Now I'm just horribly depressed. This is so shitty. Some TV program called Entertainment Tonight or The Insider are actually battling with Perez Hilton concerning the legal rights to who will be first to show a video said to be showing Heath doing drugs and saying stupid things back in -06.

I don't think I'll venture outside of this Board at all.

And the saddest thing about this silly fight over the video is that whether Heath did drugs doesn't really matter anymore. He's gone and nothing will change that. What matters are the good things he left behind.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2008, 09:04:09 pm »
Entertainment Tonight showed a teaser of that video tonight, promising more tomorrow.  Some Australian TV station, Channel 9, appears to have scored the exclusive on it.  ET had some doctor "expert" saying he'd seen it and it was "heartbreaking" and if even one life was saved by watching it, it was worth it.  ::)  The worst part?  They showed Heath saying something about how his girlfriend would kill him if she knew.  Then he must have been asked about his daughter, because he said "Matilda.  Matilda Rose."  :(  They wound up the piece by saying how that was all 2 years ago, and now he was (cue the shot of the body bag being wheeled out) DEAD.  :-\
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2008, 09:11:31 pm »
Entertainment Tonight showed a teaser of that video tonight, promising more tomorrow.  Some Australian TV station, Channel 9, appears to have scored the exclusive on it.  ET had some doctor "expert" saying he'd seen it and it was "heartbreaking" and if even one life was saved by watching it, it was worth it.  ::)  The worst part?  They showed Heath saying something about how his girlfriend would kill him if she knew.  Then he must have been asked about his daughter, because he said "Matilda.  Matilda Rose."  :(  They wound up the piece by saying how that was all 2 years ago, and now he was (cue the shot of the body bag being wheeled out) DEAD.  :-\

Geez, that reporting sounds just dreadful.  :o >:(

I have a horrible feeling we're going to have to endure some ramped-up tabloid-style sensationalized reporting for at least a little while to come.... If People and Us really run with the awful-sounding stories that they apparently have set to come out.
 >:( >:( >:(

It's almost like the tabloid/entertainment media has sort of moved out of a "respectful" mourning phase and are sort of giving each other a green light to start running with sensationalized/ scandal stories.  The whole culture of this type of entertainment reporting makes my stomach turn at the moment.

Poor Heath.  :(

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie