Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1144510 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #430 on: February 04, 2008, 12:55:18 pm »
The family plot ....
 :'(

I know, it,s awful isn,t it, when you read that. Poor Heath. This is just so bloody awful.  :'( :'(

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #431 on: February 04, 2008, 01:57:08 pm »
One thing I am really hoping is that they DO find a cause of death.  Because just about any cause of death is going to be better than not knowing what killed him.  That would just be one parallel too many for me.

That, plus "nobody to turn him over . . . "    :-\   :'(

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #432 on: February 04, 2008, 02:21:17 pm »
I keep reading that it is 'expected' he will be flown home this week.  Am I right in thinking that his body hasn't been released to the family yet?  It doesn't look like it, because I would have thought they would have taken him home by now.  Maybe they don't want to release him without the official cause of death being known.

The poor poor poor family, this is all just heartbreaking.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #433 on: February 04, 2008, 02:23:20 pm »
Heath's body was released to the family prior to the first memorial the Friday after his death, then flown to L.A., and if the Australian news is to be believed, was sent home when the Ledger family returned to Australia from L.A. - last night.  His funeral is expected to be this week in private in Perth.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #434 on: February 04, 2008, 04:09:15 pm »
I saw that awful copy of PPL MAGAZINE at the newstands today about Ledger's drug abuse.  I guess they couldn't wait. How awful..
=================================================
Nice story on CNN.com just posted

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/04/heathledger.perths.pride.ap/index.html

Ledger's hometown mourns its biggest star

PERTH, Australia (AP) -- Heath Ledger's hometown prepared Monday for the arrival of his remains, while locals expressed dismay at speculation in the media that the actor had used drugs.

Heath Ledger was "probably the highest-profile star who's ever come out of Perth," says a local film critic.

more photos »  Details of funeral arrangements for the late co-star of "Brokeback Mountain" have not been announced, but Ledger's family is expected to bring his body back to Perth this week. Family members have reportedly already attended two memorial services in Los Angeles.

The Australian newspaper reported Monday that Ledger will be buried next to two of his grandparents in a family plot in Perth. Ledger's publicist, Mara Buxbaum, didn't immediately respond to an e-mail from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Ledger died in his New York City apartment January 22 at age 28. Authorities suspect a drug overdose, but the cause of his death is still pending the outcome of toxicology tests. Police said several prescription drugs were found in the apartment where the actor's body was found.

Residents of this idyllic city located on the western Australia coast expressed sadness at his sudden death -- and outrage over rumors that he was a drug user.

"If a person dies, let him go in peace. All this rubbish they bring up about drugs and everything else, I think it's a lot of rubbish," said Margaret Byrne, a 58-year-old catering supervisor at Royal Perth Hospital.  Watch some of the unanswered questions regarding Ledger's death »

Much of that speculation was fueled by video footage showing Ledger at a Hollywood hotel party where drugs were being taken two years ago. "Entertainment Tonight" decided against airing the footage after a Hollywood publicity firm that represented Ledger mounted a protest that included several A-list stars.

"He was a great star for us. We don't have many stars from here," she said.

"I think it's disgusting how the media has played it out," said Justin Kestel, a 28-year-old travel agency manager who said he played field hockey against Ledger when they attended opposing secondary school teams.

Another Perth resident, Ian Bennett, said he was indifferent about Ledger's death and believed allegations of his drug use. "It's part of the scene," the food services attendant at Royal Perth Hospital said.

Perth journalists who covered Ledger said he was a huge source of pride.

"It's probably the biggest news we've had in Perth in a long time ... He's probably the highest-profile star who's ever come out of Perth and probably our greatest success story," said Shannon Harvey, film critic at The Sunday Times.

Harvey said Ledger returned to Perth to promote some of his earlier movies, but he tried to keep a low profile when returning to visit his family. Not that he seemed to be a natural at handling the press.

"He was not easy to interview," Harvey said. "It appeared he was uncomfortable with doing interviews and feature stories and having media and complete strangers prying into his personal life."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #435 on: February 04, 2008, 08:56:30 pm »
I just watched "Entertainment Tonight," and they had footage of some stars arriving and departing from Heath's memorial that was held on Saturday at Sony Studios.  They said that it was attended by around 1,000 people and lasted 90 minutes.  They showed clips of Heath's performances in many films, too.  Presumably, the family was there, since they were said to have left for Australia on Sunday.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #436 on: February 04, 2008, 10:01:22 pm »
Yes, 15 family members were there.  Michelle and Matilda were not.

Jake was not mentioned in any of the media accounts of that memorial.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline BelAir

« Reply #437 on: February 04, 2008, 10:15:09 pm »
Yes, 15 family members were there.  Michelle and Matilda were not.

Jake was not mentioned in any of the media accounts of that memorial.

I would suspect/hope that they are benefitting from more private memorials/services.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 04, 2008, 10:35:59 pm »

From today's (Sydney) Daily Telegraph re the return of the family to Australia:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23158508-5001021,00.html

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #439 on: February 05, 2008, 01:27:30 am »
Thanks, Kerry.  I thought I'd print the article here in case the link disappears at some point.

Heath Ledger's family fly home

Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Peta Hellard at LA Airport

February 04, 2008 12:00am

HEATH Ledger's family have begun their final journey back to Australia to bury the actor in his hometown of Perth. They are on a plane to Melbourne.
Ledger's father Kim, mother Sally and older sister Kate were among a family group of about 15 people who flew out of Los Angeles last night bound for Tullamarine Airport.

Their departure was conducted in a military-style operation overseen by the Australian Consulate, with police and private security staff jostling with a small group of waiting media.

A representative from the Australian Consulate oversaw the delivery and check-in of the group's luggage, two hours before the family arrived at LAX in luxury 4WDs.

Ledger's parents appeared exhausted and sombre as the family was quickly ushered straight through a security check-point.

Private minders shoved a photographer, smashing his camera against a wall.

The family's departure came a day after a large memorial service was held at a Hollywood studio.

Among those to join Ledger's family at the ceremony were his ex-girlfriend Naomi Watts and his A-list friends including supermodels Gemma Ward and Lily Cole, musician Ben Harper and screen stars Sean Penn, Josh Hartnett, Orlando Bloom, Portia De Rossi and Sienna Miller.

The family had been staying at the opulent Beverly Hills Hotel for more than a week after flying to the US following Ledger's death on January 22.

During the family's stay in Los Angeles - and Kim Ledger's visit to the New York apartment where the 28-year-old died - the group had constantly been surrounded by a fleet of private security staff.

Ledger's family are understood to be holding a private funeral for the Brokeback Mountain star and he will be laid to rest in the family plot shared by two of his grandparents at Perth's Karrakatta Cemetery.

His parents have chosen not to take up an offer from his old school Guildford Grammar for a funeral in its chapel in Perth's east.

It is unclear whether his former partner Michelle Williams and their two-year-old daughter Matilda will be flying to Perth for his funeral.

They both did not attend Ledger's memorial service two days ago.

The New York Medical Examiner's Office, responsible for conducting Ledger's autopsy, said the cause of death was likely to be released early this week - possibly as early as tomorrow.

The office is awaiting the results of toxicology tests.
Ich bin ein Brokie...