Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1144797 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #800 on: March 06, 2008, 05:54:52 pm »
Paul, I spent the last minutes starring at the bear in your signature (and not for the first time  ::)). You should do something about the bear situation  ;) :laugh: (Nah, don't; I like him)

I remember Heath said in an interview that working with a bear in that scene was very difficult. 

Now I see why...
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #801 on: March 06, 2008, 07:27:26 pm »
I read one page. It's like a badly written fanfic. A really badly written fanfic. Or I supposed this would be RPS (real people slash). Or RPF (real people fanfic). Whatever, it sucks.

L

Leslie, that's exactly what I thought of when I read Bruce's post - that it was like some pathetic RP-whatever-the heck-it's-called story.  Only it's being published in an actual (I use the term loosely) magazine and will be read by hundreds of thousands of people. I don't know anymore.  I really don't.  I'm not naive - I see bad things every day and I know the world can be a mean place. But I just don't understand this.  What is the point?  To make more money?

This actually depresses me. 

Louise, I hope you're right and that it does lash back on the magazine. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #802 on: March 06, 2008, 08:01:03 pm »
Leslie, that's exactly what I thought of when I read Bruce's post - that it was like some pathetic RP-whatever-the heck-it's-called story.  Only it's being published in an actual (I use the term loosely) magazine and will be read by hundreds of thousands of people. I don't know anymore.  I really don't.  I'm not naive - I see bad things every day and I know the world can be a mean place. But I just don't understand this.  What is the point?  To make more money?

This actually depresses me. 

Louise, I hope you're right and that it does lash back on the magazine. 

Marie

I thought about the one page I read as I was driving home and I realized I was right...it is "real people fanfic" (RPF) and it really is offensive. We had a lively debate on the fanfic board about RPS/RPF featuring Heath in the days/weeks after his death. I suspect the people who thought it was okay read/write RPF/RPS will find this article  entertaining--or something--but I thought it was truly tasteless. I can't imagine what people who aren't sensitized to some of the issues around RPF/RPS will think of it. Hopefully they will think it is dreadful and will express their displeasure to Esquire by cancelling their subscriptions. I would.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

yb

« Reply #803 on: March 06, 2008, 09:54:59 pm »
I haven't read it, so it's like a RPS but in a published magazine!  I guess nothing can surprise me any more. 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #804 on: March 07, 2008, 12:01:15 am »
Fantauzzo Misses on Archibald Prize:

Heath's portrait did not win the prestigious Australian Archibald Prize.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23334954-5001021,00.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline oilgun

« Reply #805 on: March 07, 2008, 12:16:27 am »
Fantauzzo Misses on Archibald Prize:

Heath's portrait did not win the prestigious Australian Archibald Prize.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23334954-5001021,00.html

"The Sydney painter said the painting was “one of the most personal works that I have ever made and not something I would ever show in a commercial context”.  No kidding!   :o

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #806 on: March 07, 2008, 09:26:02 am »
PORTRAITS of actor Heath Ledger and singer Neil Finn have missed out on the prestigious Archibald Prize, which went to another artist and her emotive piece.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,23335085-948,00.html
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 07, 2008, 10:48:23 am »

I just can't believe the Fantauzzo portrait of Heath didn't win the Archibald. I saw Edmund Capon, the Director of the Art Gallery of New South Wales, interviewed on television tonight and he said he has never seen such a close contest before, where the judges couldn't decide between a shortlist of 2 paintings, the portrait of Heath and the painting that went  on to win the Archibald (?instantly forgettable?).

Vincent Fantauzzo was also interviewed on this evening's television news. He is very young (cute too), so he'll have plenty of other opportunities to have many more attempts at winning the Archibald in future. And it must be remembered that of the thousands of entries, only about 40 paintings were chosen to be hung, which is a great honour in its own right.

However, having said all that, I simply can't believe the judges chose such a trite, inane work (it looks like a vacuous Hallmark greeting card illustration IMHO) over the truly inspired masterpiece by Fantauzzo. But that's just me. I hope to be able to visit the exhibition tomorrow and will be taking my camera with me. Watch this space for my photos.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #808 on: March 07, 2008, 10:53:25 am »
Vincent Fantauzzo was also interviewed on this evening's television news. He is very young (cute too), so he'll have plenty of other opportunities to have many more attempts at winning the Archibald in future. And it must be remembered that of the thousands of entries, only about 40 paintings were chosen to be hung, which is a great honour in its own right.

However, having said all that, I simply can't believe the judges chose such a trite, inane work (it looks like a vacuous Hallmark greeting card illustration IMHO) over the truly inspired masterpiece by Fantauzzo. But that's just me. I hope to be able to visit the exhibition tomorrow and will be taking my camera with me. Watch this space for my photos.

Actually, I would think there may be a lot of interesting art in that show...

...Heath's painting already got more publicity than the winner did, and that is a huge award in and of itself.  The only reason most of us even know about the Archibald award is because of Heath's portrait. 

It's so hard to make a career as an artist, I would hope all of the artists in the show get a good career bump for their efforts!
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #809 on: March 07, 2008, 11:03:37 am »
I read one page. It's like a badly written fanfic. A really badly written fanfic. Or I supposed this would be RPS (real people slash). Or RPF (real people fanfic). Whatever, it sucks.

My sentiments exactly. But can't you just hear the author protesting that "everyone must grieve in their own way....."    :P