Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1144353 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #1010 on: February 14, 2009, 05:53:03 am »
I find myself agreeing with what you say as well. I signed the petition because  I don't want to see another Joker too soon.  I suppose I am being selfish, and contradictory, but right now I can't help it.

Oh, that's perfectly fine. I also don't want to see another Joker soon. I don't think it's selfish and contradictory. Or if so, I'm happy to plead guilty ;).

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1011 on: February 14, 2009, 11:31:09 am »
Oh, that's perfectly fine. I also don't want to see another Joker soon. I don't think it's selfish and contradictory. Or if so, I'm happy to plead guilty ;).

I am in such a quandary over this one.If Heath had not dared to move boundaries and challenge the iconic joker of Nicholson, we never would have see his joker which most feel takes it to a whole new level. He will always now be the joker for me, just as he will always be Ennis . Does that stop someone else taking on the roles, I guess not, but they will never fill Heath's shoes.

I think Heath himself would have been disquieted about the petition. I am the same about the Oscars, bittersweet all over again.Wonderful if he wins but all just too late.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #1012 on: February 16, 2009, 04:05:59 pm »
Ledger family to accept Oscar
Email Printer friendly version Normal font Large font Daile Pepper
February 16, 2009

Kate Ledger will travel to Hollywood for the Oscars, at which her brother Heath (inset) is tipped to take out the award for Best Supporting Actor.
Photo: Tim Clarke

Other related coverage
Ledgers' high hopes for Oscar Knight of nights
Ledger takes out British Academy Award
Advertisement
Heath Ledger's family will accept the late actor's hotly tipped Oscar on Sunday if his posthumous award-winning streak continues.

Father Kim Ledger, mother Sally Bell and sister Kate Ledger will walk the hottest red carpet in Hollywood among the A-list crowd in anticipation of their late son and brother's likely Academy Award win for his portrayal of The Joker in last year's Batman blockbuster The Dark Knight.

Ledger is an almost unbackable favourite to take out the prestigious prize ahead of other Best Supporting Actor nominees Josh Brolin, Robert Downey Jr, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Michael Shannon.

The Perth-born actor's maniacal and ghoulish performance has so far won best supporting actor at the BAFTAs, the Golden Globes and the Screen Actors' Guild Awards, making an Oscar grand slam a virtual certainty.

The late star is also a strong sentimental favourite to win the award. Oscars host Hugh Jackman has thrown his celebrity weight behind his fellow Australian, while Hollywood stars, some of whom took extraordinary measures to help support Ledger's daughter Matilda following his shock death in January last year, have come out in droves to celebrate his star turn in the Batman flick.

A spokeswoman for Ledger's family said many family members would fly out of Perth for Hollywood on February 18, while Kim, Sally and Kate were confirmed attendees at the ceremony. Younger sisters Ashleigh Bell and Olivia Ledger would also make the trip to Hollywood.

It looked like all three attending the ceremony would accept the award on Ledger's behalf, but the family were still deciding on details including who would address the ceremony if he did win.

Last month, on the anniversary of Ledger's death from an accidental overdose of prescription drugs, his glamorous sister Kate told of the heart-wrenching journey the family had been on since the unexpected tragedy.

"To us (his family) it seems like nearly yesterday, and we are all still nursing broken hearts," Kate said.

"Like anyone who loses a family member, it has opened our eyes to the intense suffering and painful journey that is death."

His younger sister Ashleigh Bell said at the time that the family were proud and excited on his behalf.

"In Heath's words, he had 'the time of his life' portraying the Joker and said that 'it was the most fun he had ever had making a film'," she said.

The Dark Knight was the most successful comic adaptation of all time, with a global box-office take that has so far topped $US1 billion ($1.5 billion).

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/film/ledger-family-to-accept-oscar/2009/02/16/1234632719201.html

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1013 on: February 16, 2009, 04:41:03 pm »
The hurt just goes on and on. I feel so selfish grieving for someone I never knew, I cannot fathom the pain that his family are enduring. For a mother to lose a child, to me anyway is just the worst pain imaginable. It is wrong, the parents should go first. It is just all wrong, and what is worse, could have been avoided.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1014 on: February 19, 2009, 12:44:33 pm »

A three-piece sculpture in honour of Heath Ledger has been installed on the Applecross foreshore where he played as a child.

Ledger’s family picked a site at Point Heathcote Reserve for the polished concrete and marble sculpture by the internationally renowned Perth-based artist Ron Gomboc. Two pieces incorporating chessboards pay tribute to the actor’s passion for the game and a third piece, featuring a yin and yang design, reflects his spiritual beliefs.

Gomboc, a long-time family friend, said yesterday that the sculpture was a fitting tribute to Ledger, who used to relish playing chess at parks around the world when he had down-time from filming.

Ledger’s family have flown to the US for the Academy Awards on Sunday, when he is widely tipped to win a posthumous Oscar for his role as the Joker in The Dark Knight.

His mother, Sally Bell, issued a statement through the City of Melville saying her son would often walk to Point Heathcote with his friends and “truly loved it there”. She said few people knew that he was passionate about chess and was close to becoming a grand master.

His father, Kim, said the sculpture was simple in keeping with Ledger’s style and would give family and friends a place to visit to remember him.

Source: http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=125649

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1015 on: February 19, 2009, 12:57:34 pm »
...same topic, different article

HEATH Ledger's love of chess has been set in stone at a park on Perth's Swan River, where he played as a child.

Ledger's family have given the City of Melville, in Perth's southern suburbs, a polished concrete and marble sculpture in memory of the late actor, comprising two chess boards and a yin and yang symbol.

Ledger's mother Sally Bell said the family had chosen the site at Heathcote Reserve, overlooking the Swan River, because her son had cared about the environment and spent much of his youth in the Applecross area.

Ms Bell said he often walked to the park with his friends.

"He truly loved it there," she said.

"As far as the artwork is concerned, we feel it is in no way offensive to anyone and blends harmoniously into the surrounding environment.

"As for the chess theme, not many people know that Heath was passionate about chess and was close to becoming a Grand Master."

The sculptor Ron Gombac said the yin and yang design reflected Heath's spiritual beliefs.

Father Kim Ledger said Heath's friends and family now had a place to visit that was imbued with his presence.

"People who visit the site can remember him by using and enjoying the tables, as he would want them to," Mr Ledger said.

"We didn't choose anything elaborate as Heath wouldn't have liked that.

"He liked subtlety and was very laidback but extremely aware of who he was."

Visitors can use the sculpture to play chess as they take in views of the river and city. The work was installed on Saturday.

Ledger's family flew from Perth bound for Los Angeles yesterday to attend the Oscars and spend time with his daughter Matilda.

The Perth-born actor is widely tipped to take out the best supporting actor award for his portrayal of The Joker in The Dark Knight, the last film he completed before his death.

Ledger was working on The Imaginarium Of Dr Parnassus when he died, aged 28, on January 22 last year in his rented Manhattan loft apartment after consuming a deadly cocktail of prescription painkillers and sleeping pills. His death was declared an accidental overdose.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1016 on: February 19, 2009, 12:59:39 pm »
Two pieces incorporating chessboards pay tribute to the actor’s passion for the game and a third piece, featuring a yin and yang design, reflects his spiritual beliefs.

A little off-topic, but not so much: I know Amanda will be pleased to read this.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1017 on: February 19, 2009, 01:06:00 pm »

A little off-topic, but not so much: I know Amanda will be pleased to read this.

:D :D :D :D :D

Yep!  Sure enough!  I was just reading that part in the article about the yin and yang symbol.  I was just about to quote that part myself when I saw you beat me to it!  How wonderful. :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1018 on: February 19, 2009, 01:21:55 pm »
I was just very glad they didn´t erect a statue of him or anything. Can you imagine how much that would have made him cringe? :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1019 on: February 19, 2009, 01:24:57 pm »
What a beautiful tribute to Heath by his family, and how Brokebackian, too!  8)

This makes me want to visit Perth even more.  Now we have another must-visit location on our round of Heathworthy places to see in Oz.  And this park is a much happier stop than Karrakatta Cemetery, or even Cottesloe Beach.
Ich bin ein Brokie...