Author Topic: Phelps to picket (strong stomach needed)  (Read 53952 times)

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
Phelps to picket (strong stomach needed)
« on: January 23, 2008, 04:45:21 am »
Sorry to be posting this.

http://www.godhatesfags.com/written/fliers/20080122_heath-ledger-brokeback-mountain.pdf

I hope Heath is buried in Australia. If they decide to follow, the gay QANTAS flight attendants will give them a memorable trip.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Phelps to picket (strong stomach needed)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:48:54 am »
GOD DAMN THEIR ASSES TO HELL!!! >:(  >:(

I hope the Qantas flight attendants shove their ignorant asses off the airplane... over the Pacific ocean.... in shark infested waters.... at 35.000 feet!

Sons of bitches! >:(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 04:55:22 am »
This is SOOOOOOO ridiculous it sounds like a joke (albeit an extremely bad one) to me. Or like a fake that wants to show homophobes for what they are: bloody headcases!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:56:48 am »
I seriously think that being the Phelpses must be very much like being in Hell. Bad enough to be near such minds, but imagine inhabiting them - for life!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 04:59:12 am »
Ugh.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 05:20:05 am »
I'm so sick and tired of their crap. I knew this would happen. I knew they would jump right on it.

I wish someone would relocate them to some deserted island far away.... so they could hate on each other for once and leave the rest of us alone.

As a Midwesterner, you have no idea how ashamed they make me feel.

Sorry for the outbursts, but they disgust the crap out of me. And I KNEW they would jump on this news about Heath as quick as they heard it.

Bunch of FREAKS! >:(

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 05:44:36 am »
I'm so sick and tired of their crap. I knew this would happen. I knew they would jump right on it.

I wish someone would relocate them to some deserted island far away.... so they could hate on each other for once and leave the rest of us alone.

Sorry for the outbursts, but they disgust the crap out of me. And I KNEW they would jump on this news about Heath as quick as they heard it.

Bunch of FREAKS! >:(

David even though I live in the UK, fred phelps makes me SICK!!  >:( >:(He cannot be allowed to picket Heaths, funeral. If he does, then he should be arrested. Have these people no respect?  I hope they take him home to Australia and bury him there. I,m like most of you, I just can,t get my head round this. It,s just so incredibly sad. He was so young, handsome and talented. He had everything to live for. What a waste. :'( God bless you Heath.
Souxi. xxxxx

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 07:28:53 am »
Ok, is that Phelps or whatever for real???

Even though France is not the most open-minded of countries where homosexuality is concerned, the author of such crap would be considered in this country as "inciting to hatred", which is a crime here, and he'd be sued and prosecuted.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 03:58:08 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 08:10:38 am »
If they are allowed to picket -- if they have the gumption to show up -- I hope some Brokie contention in NY or wherever the memorial may be will mix up gallons and gallons of some vile concoction (waste), nothing lethal because we don't want any Brokies in jail (for long), and absolutely drench them from head to toe. They would deserve it and worse. I hope the picket does not come to pass.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 08:16:24 am »
That is absolutely disgusting. Oh my God, they are such vile people.

Let's talk about who is going to rest for all eternity in hell, shall we? It's not Heath Ledger, that's for sure.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 08:28:42 am »
Ok, is that Phelps or whatever for real???

Even though France is not the most open-minded of countries where homosexuality is concerned, the author of such crap would be considered in this country as "incitating to hatred", which is a crime here, and he's be sued and prosecuted.

Yes Isabelle I,m afraid he is. Him, and his followers are completely and utterly insane, IMO. The best place for them ALL is a padded cell, for a very very long time. They could soundproof it so no one could hear that lunatic ranting. They have NO respect for either Heaths memory or his greiving family and friend,s who all loved him very much indeed. I do hope they take him home to Australia and bury him there.
RIP Heath. God bless you, brown eyes.
Souxi xxxxx

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 08:49:06 am »
Well if it is any consolation, few people (and none of them rational intelligent adults) will be reading his flyer about Heath.

Now when Fred Phelps dies....  that news will be met with a crooked smile by the masses.   

And I wouldn't be surprized to find out he was a closeted Homosexual himself.   

I hope the Funeral director of Freds burial turns out to be gay and has Fred buried in a dress.  Better yet, with a large adult novelty item up his posterior.    He sure has been a pain in our asses.

Now that HAS made me laugh. It,d be great wouldn,t it. :laugh:

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 08:56:55 am »
When Fred Phelps dies, his funeral will make Woodstock look like a picnic.

He craves attention, that is what he is about, ignore him, don;t throw fuel on the fire.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 12:11:31 pm »
He sounds like a person with serious mental issues.  I can't believe he would find anyone to go along with this drivel! If he does, they've probably all been brain-washed!

moremojo

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 12:15:56 pm »
Pretty much everyone in his church are members of his own family. They actually constitute a very miniscule congregation, but they like to make a lot of noise, and crave publicity.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 12:24:42 pm »

They're from Kansas. Somebody should drop a house on them. Or blow one up over them. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 12:36:41 pm »
I am big believer in free speech and freedom of the press and all that but do we really need to give this MONSTER and his evil family yet another forum for their hateful and vile rhetoric by posting it in all it's repugnant and disgusting detail here at Bettermost.  Especially now aren't we already in enough pain without reading that filth.

:'(
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 12:55:38 pm »

What a miserable closet-case.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 01:10:18 pm »
I'm hoping that this is SO over-the-top tasteless and insensitive that it will backfire, turning rational normal caring people against that kind of monstrous attitude once and for all.

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 01:13:38 pm »
I can't fathom the idea that someone wpould picket anyone's funeral. What has happened to this world?
This is so tragic and pathetic it's unreal. God couldn't possibly agree with their motives. The thought of it is vile.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 02:02:41 pm »

I hope the Qantas flight attendants shove their ignorant asses off the airplane... over the Pacific ocean.... in shark infested waters.... at 35.000 feet!

Very well said. I could not agree more.

The creeps page would not load for me. That's a good thing I guess as I don't need to see that hate. I still know what would be on that site.

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 02:49:53 pm »
We should all go there to kick their pathetic asses and make sure they do not get anywhere NEAR the funeral!!!!!!

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 03:05:03 pm »
When Fred Phelps dies, his funeral will make Woodstock look like a picnic.

He craves attention, that is what he is about, ignore him, don;t throw fuel on the fire.

Exactly, he is an EXTREMIST and in the MINORITY with regards to his thoughts/statements, which should not be dignified with a modicum of a response. He might like to think he could picket the funeral, but I guarantee he wouldn't even be able to come close. Love far surpasses hate/evil.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 03:53:50 pm »
If they do try to go there, Australia probably won't let them in. I remember they once tried to go to the Netherlands to protest something, and they were refused entrance into the country. It made them furious too. They started saying Holland was a "fag country full of fags and fag enablers". A few years later they tried to go to Canada to protest the Canadian Parliament just after Canada legalized gay marriage. Once again they were not allowed to enter. So naturally they called Canada a "fag country" and blah blah blah.. ect. ect. ect....

It would teach them a good lesson to sit on an airplane for 18 hours, and all for nothing.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 04:05:02 pm »
This is the same group that picketed Jerry Falwell's funeral, saying he was too liberal or sumpn, right?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 04:10:34 pm »
Well, my thought was that while they might not get to Oz there is more than likely going to be a memorial service in either LA or NY.

They might try to picket that. But I think they'll be vastly outnumbered.. by fans for one...

and I'm sure the likes of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Guard_Riders and http://www.eatromaine.com/angel_action/angelaction.html will be there in force if asked.

tell you what, if you see them, give them a smack in the face from me.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 04:10:35 pm »
This is the same group that picketed Jerry Falwell's funeral, saying he was too liberal or sumpn, right?

It sure was. His daughter was there in all her mean glory.

Scott6373

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 04:11:28 pm »

Yes it was Clarissa.  They are even more vile in person.  We see the violence from Iraq, and around the world, but nothing has ever chilled me more than seeing and hearing them and walking through them.  Even the air around them was foul.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 04:13:48 pm »
Falwells funeral was a few days after the tornado destoryed Greensburg, Kansas. When I asked a meember of the group if they were from near there I was told the town was destroyed because they had a tavern open on Sunday.

Offline ProwlAmongUs

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Have a great day. . .
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 11:52:33 pm »
This is the same ilk who attended Matthew Shepard's funeral carrying hate signs. Phelps has a website devoted to promoting his vile hatred as well. Unfortunately, they get away with their antics in the US due to freedom of expression protections. Personally I can't imagine a more insidious and dangerous force loose in the country than people of this mindset. They're pure evil, promote gross intolerance, hatred and have no mercy, no pity. They feed on media attention. If they didn't get it, they would be deflated and hopefully dry up quickly, but that won't happen. All we can do is keep vigilant and try to peacefully counter their untruths and evil. It gives the US a black eye when this sort of hatred is given a public voice. Phelps ranks with Hitler in his fanaticism and ideology. The eyes of the country and the world need to keep a close watch on him. He's a boil on the side of humanity.
Nightmares may be products of our subconscious, but dreams are magic windows through which we see our desired reality.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 12:03:44 am »
Last night Lynne was telling me about people who dressed as angels who stood between the mourners and the picketers at Matthew Shepard's funeral, shielding the mourners with their large wings. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 12:10:59 am »
Last night Lynne was telling me about people who dressed as angels who stood between the mourners and the picketers at Matthew Shepard's funeral, shielding the mourners with their large wings. 

Yes, there was a group that dressed up and tried to shield the service for Matthew Shepard and I think the continue to serve in that capacity at funerals when there is a need.  I've also seen similar groups at Pride parades... shielding the parade route and especially near groups of angry protesters.

Also, I know there is a group of bikers that protect military funerals from the likes of Phelps... they try to bar the way to protesters groups such as Phelps.

The people who dress up in angel outfits and the bikers both have special names as groups, but I can't think of them right now.  They definitely seem like good people and very brave to stand right up to the likes of Phelps and similar groups.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 12:19:59 am »

Offline ennisjack

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 12:22:19 am »

David, would you really want to pollute the ocean with trash like that and possibly poison some innocent shark?
If ya can't fix it, ya gotta stand it; If ya can't stand it, ya gotta fix it; If ya can't do either one then ya either need some serious help or yer screwed

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 12:49:45 am »
I'm hoping that this is SO over-the-top tasteless and insensitive that it will backfire, turning rational normal caring people against that kind of monstrous attitude once and for all.

Let's turn this into a positive.

As Amanda has experienced, I too have experienced protesters, specifically at The AIDS Walk here in San Francsico.  Folks stood inbetween the protesters and us and encouraged us to ingore them and keep on walkin'...

This death is turning into a big deal it seems.  I was just talkin' to my mother, and she said a woman at her work this morning, who she doesn't even talk to often, asked her point blank: "Did you hear the news?" and my mother answered "Yes", and both of them knew exactly what they were talking about without even mentioning Heath's name!

Heath was not a tabloid celebrity like Brittney or Lindsay.  That's why I think people say he was not a "household name".  However, it's seeming that in his death, people are coming out of the woodwork.  They know who he was and the roles he played, and they know he was an excellent actor.  I think a lot of folks have seen Brokeback Mountain, more than we think, and have been touched by it, or at least acknowledge Heath did an outstanding job acting.  The thing with Brokeback Mountain though, continues to be that no one will talk about it.  The movie's theme itself continues to exist with the very same folks who watch it.  Society continues to tell them it's not ok to talk about it.  But seceretly to themselves, they understand the story and are touched, or at least acknowledge Heath's performance. 

With Heath's passing people are suddenly coming out with it that they feel bad the actor has died.  It's no secret he's known for the "gay cowboy" role, you would have to be hiding under a rock not to know of Brokeback Mountain or the name Heath Ledger.  And many folks have seen the movie.  Even those that haven't seen the movie have heard his performance was spectacular in it.... Folks just never discussed it, and now in his death, they are suddenly acknowledging him and who he was and what roles he played (and played very well), even if they still wont say the words Brokeback Mountain.

Now here comes Phelps with his anti-hate messages.  I think even the upmost Cristian folks in the world cringe at the "god hates fags" campaign.  That's a pretty awful thing to say, and by using HIS name and the word HATE together, I'm sure it doesn't sit well, even with folks who might be homophobic.  They are homophobic, but I don't think they think "that".

We have a world acknowledging Heath as a "good boy" (not a paparatzzi tabloid star) and a great actor.  Then this fool comes along and pickets his funeral.  It's going to backfire, and infuriate folks, just like the protesters infuriated me at the AIDS walk.  Futhermore, it is more publicity for the movie.  Phelps is essentially carring the movie's message in his hate and hate speech.  Those who have seen Brokeback Mountain will not tolerate it.  This may be the first time *they* feel the cold stab of hate and homophobia directed *at them* (for liking and understanding Brokeback Mountain).  Those maybe who haven't seen it might check the movie out (to see what all the fuss is about now), and once their done with watching it, because of Phelps hate speech, they'll understand Brokeback Mountain more than they might have without it, and perhaps have a differnet and more positive outlook on gays and lesbians now.  It's as if they need to see and hear and experience this hate, to understand what Brokeback Mountain is.

As much as I don't like the idea of saying it, I say "bring 'em on".  I dare him to do it.  It's almost a necessary evil.  We need this nut job to expose the true hate of homophobia and have it be in the media spotlight, shown to everyone world wide.  Hate and homophobia exposed, for the world to witness and experience first hand.  Perhaps then, the subject of homophobia and Brokeback Mountain, might not be such a taboo subject to talk about anymore....  perhaps.  Folks will have to make a decision on this subject: which side of this do I want to be on?  I really doubt folks will side with Phelps. 

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 01:28:29 am »
Good points, Eric.

injest

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 01:37:43 am »
it is interesting to compare Anna Nicole's death to Heaths and how it is being covered...he is being compared to the greats...like James Dean...which is pretty cool. Instead of the tripe they talked about with Anna..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 01:43:24 am »
  David, would you really want to pollute the ocean with trash like that and possibly poison some innocent shark?

Cruelty to animals. You're right. I doubt the sharks would show any interest in them anyway. And we'd still be polluting the ocean and that isn't too cool.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 01:48:39 am »

Eric, thank you for your amazing post Friend.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 03:21:37 am »
Great post, eric. I wonder if people will make the link between the homophobia of Phelps and the message of the film. On one of the IMDb threads, someone said something like "I'm proud to be a Christian and I hate BBM and its message of bisexuality [implying she hadn't seen it], but Phelps is not a REAL Christian. God loves gays and he wants them to change..." I find that almost as toxic as Phelps because its still threat-of-Hell crap. [I didn't think of that answer at the time and now i can't find the post.]

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 06:04:56 am »
Add mine to the approvals and appreciation for Eric's post.  Phelps and his little group are a bunch of nasty, ignorant, rabble-rousing, instigating turds.  Treat 'em like you would a cow patty in the pasture.  If you hate on them or give them much attention, you are like a waitress serving them exactly what they want to feed on. 

I disagree with those who see him as terribly dangerous.  The Wikipedia article on him, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_phelps, says that he has about 71 followers, 60 of which are related to him by blood or marriage.  They hate everybody.  I would think only the craziest, most disenfranchised people would give them much credence, though it is disturbing to see how many votes he's gotten in elections he's been a candidate in.  They are a rather small, insular group who come out and put on a big show, make a lot of noise, trying to get attention.  It's unpleasant, that's for sure, but what else do they really do?  They are so over the top, they are caricatures.  They're pitiful. 

Ignore them.  Turn the other cheek.  Bless their hearts.  But do not let them get to you.  Do not let their putting on a spectacle of their horridness bring out the horridness in you.  Easier said than done, but we all know we are better than them.  If nothing else, I feel sorry for him because he looks like that creepy preacher in "Poltergeist 2." 

If your dog pees on the middle of the floor during your dinner party, don't let that be a defining, ruining moment of the evening. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

mvansand76

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 06:11:11 am »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2008, 11:16:43 am »
That's what I was thinking, too, Eric.

In the Civil Rights Era, change occurred when white people -- even, eventually, most white Southerners -- were horrified by news stories and TV footage showing how really despicable the haters were. Who wants to identify with people screeching epithets at children on their way into school? Well, picketing funerals is on that same level of odiousness. Even the mildly or moderately homophobic will have to question which side they want to be on.

moremojo

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2008, 11:17:59 am »
it is interesting to compare Anna Nicole's death to Heaths and how it is being covered...he is being compared to the greats...like James Dean...which is pretty cool. Instead of the tripe they talked about with Anna..
After her death, some compared Anna Nicole to Marilyn Monroe, which I thought was absurd (if anything, Anna Nicole displayed a caricature of Monroe in the presentation of her public persona...and without, frankly, a smidgen of the latter's grace and talent).

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2008, 12:08:13 pm »

Well, God Bless your Mama, ennisjack, for bringing you into the world!  Your comment was the first thing that has made me laugh in days!  There is always something good to be said about the Sparkling Gay Wit.  I love it!   Poor sharks, indeed!  And I'll have something of my own to say in a minute, but I doubt I can top what you said so well, EJ. I was feeling pretty low until I came to this thread. Laughter... good medicine.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2008, 12:39:23 pm »
The Ir-Reverend Phelps has his ministry up-side-down and backwards.  He is suppose to make evil men believers of goodness, but in my case he has made a good man a believer of the evil in some Baptist ministers.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2008, 02:02:17 pm »
Saw this paradoy site mentioned on IMDB - thought you gys might need a smile http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/ also there is a www.godhateswbc.com too...

Yes, there was a group that dressed up and tried to shield the service for Matthew Shepard and I think the continue to serve in that capacity at funerals when there is a need.  I've also seen similar groups at Pride parades... shielding the parade route and especially near groups of angry protesters.

Also, I know there is a group of bikers that protect military funerals from the likes of Phelps... they try to bar the way to protesters groups such as Phelps.

The people who dress up in angel outfits and the bikers both have special names as groups, but I can't think of them right now.  They definitely seem like good people and very brave to stand right up to the likes of Phelps and similar groups.

*cough* see my post from yesterday ;)

Well, my thought was that while they might not get to Oz there is more than likely going to be a memorial service in either LA or NY.

They might try to picket that. But I think they'll be vastly outnumbered.. by fans for one...

and I'm sure the likes of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Guard_Riders and http://www.eatromaine.com/angel_action/angelaction.html will be there in force if asked.

tell you what, if you see them, give them a smack in the face from me.

Look at the second link - you'll see you're own little angels diy kit......

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2008, 02:12:03 pm »
Saw this paradoy site mentioned on IMDB - thought you gys might need a smile http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/ also there is a www.godhateswbc.com too...

Those are funny, Kelda. I particularly love the second one's "P.S. You're going to hell."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2008, 02:45:45 pm »
http://media.smh.com.au/?category=Breaking%20News&rid=34892

I'm not quite sure how this interview kept his cool - good on him.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2008, 03:06:10 pm »

Thanks for that Kelda.  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2008, 03:11:16 pm »
http://media.smh.com.au/?category=Breaking%20News&rid=34892

I don't believe the woman in that interview.  Un-fuckin-believable.
It made me sick to the stomach to listen to that tripe.

I love that the journalist told her outright what a twisted sick foolish woman she is.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2008, 03:17:44 pm »

Wow, that woman sounds like Elvira Gulch from The Wizard of Oz, except that compared to her Miss Gulch is Mother Teresa! She's a nutcase. I don't think there's any better advertisement against homophobia than listening to her.

I could have done without the interviewer dissing the U.S., the Midwest and even Topeka, though. (I've never been to Topeka, but I'm sure there are plenty of perfectly normal people there.) If Americans are such knuckle-dragging Neanderthals, how did Brokeback Mountain get made here in the first place?

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2008, 03:24:01 pm »
I could have done without the interviewer dissing the U.S., the Midwest and even Topeka, though. (I've never been to Topeka, but I'm sure there are plenty of perfectly normal people there.) If Americans are such knuckle-dragging Neanderthals, how did Brokeback Mountain get made here in the first place?

I thought he said it was people like her who give the US a bad name after she made the comment about knuckle-dragging Neanderthals who don't read the bible.  I don't know, I won't be listening to it again to find out...

All I know is that if Heath is in Hell as she claims, then she must live there to have such firsthand knowledge of who's coming and going.. ::)

Unreal.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2008, 03:33:19 pm »
I thought he said it was people like her who give the US a bad name after she made the comment about knuckle-dragging Neanderthals who don't read the bible.

Well, he went on to say Americans were seen throughout the world as something or other, and later said something mean about Topeka.

She does give Americans (and Topekans) a bad name. But it ain't their fault.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2008, 03:39:25 pm »
Well, he went on to say Americans were seen throughout the world as something or other, and later said something mean about Topeka.

She does give Americans (and Topekans) a bad name. But it ain't their fault.

True.

I think of the 11 children she says she has and it is saddening to think that they may actually adopt her views on life.  :-\

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »
Well, as luck would have it...I live in topeka...born and raised....and these nutjobs are such an embarrasment!!  every time they picket somewhere that i hear about, i send a letter to the newspaper and tv stations apologizing for our town.
I will do it here, before the fact.
The "reverend" Phelps and his livley band of supporters are all crazy.,..i swear...that woman you spoke of is probably shirley phelps, who has become the family spokesperson since daddy is getting so old. the whole family are attorneys..i kid you not...many many attorneys. they can slither out of anything. i was SO thrilled that they got their butts kicked in that East coast lawsuit. 
They stand on the street corners here in Topeka with their pornographic signs..i mean these idiots even think Santa is evil!!  they have a sign showins santa having sex!!  and they think gay people are the sick ones??? give me a frickin break!!   i will tAke my gay friends ANY day over the evil Phelps clan. and thats what it is, only the phelps family and their spouses and children in that "church". i don't think there are any outsiders at all that have stayed. it is 13 degrees here in Topeka today, and i can bet you there are phelps' standing on a street corner somewhere in this city, with their little homeschooled (mindwashed) kids, some really young, maybe 6 or 7, holding signs with pornographic pictures and words. just unbelieveable. those poor little kids.
i think the patriot guard are the heroes in the funeral situation. at the funeral of a falled soldier, the guard will stand shoulder to shoulder and shield the grieving family from their view and will sing or paly music to protect them from hearing the horrible things they say.
Topeka has been dealing with fred phelps and his seed for over 20 years. mostly we just try to ignore them. i have very mixed feelings about this. they sould be tormented, but THEY say it brings attention to their cause..and i would NEVER want to do that....my husband says that if he ever would be told that he had just a few months to live, he would go wipe them all out....that statement reflects the anger that most of us feel at their presence....
gaylee
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2008, 05:30:17 pm »
Hello maggiesmommy,

Thank you for that post. 
I can only imagine what the residents of your town must feel, especially with those creeps littering the street corners on a regular basis.
ugh.
I feel for the kids and what they may grow up to be...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2008, 05:49:56 pm »
Well, as luck would have it...I live in topeka...born and raised....and these nutjobs are such an embarrasment!!  every time they picket somewhere that i hear about, i send a letter to the newspaper and tv stations apologizing for our town.
I will do it here, before the fact.
The "reverend" Phelps and his livley band of supporters are all crazy.,..i swear...that woman you spoke of is probably shirley phelps, who has become the family spokesperson since daddy is getting so old. the whole family are attorneys..i kid you not...many many attorneys. they can slither out of anything. i was SO thrilled that they got their butts kicked in that East coast lawsuit. 
They stand on the street corners here in Topeka with their pornographic signs..i mean these idiots even think Santa is evil!!  they have a sign showins santa having sex!!  and they think gay people are the sick ones??? give me a frickin break!!   i will tAke my gay friends ANY day over the evil Phelps clan. and thats what it is, only the phelps family and their spouses and children in that "church". i don't think there are any outsiders at all that have stayed. it is 13 degrees here in Topeka today, and i can bet you there are phelps' standing on a street corner somewhere in this city, with their little homeschooled (mindwashed) kids, some really young, maybe 6 or 7, holding signs with pornographic pictures and words. just unbelieveable. those poor little kids.
i think the patriot guard are the heroes in the funeral situation. at the funeral of a falled soldier, the guard will stand shoulder to shoulder and shield the grieving family from their view and will sing or paly music to protect them from hearing the horrible things they say.
Topeka has been dealing with fred phelps and his seed for over 20 years. mostly we just try to ignore them. i have very mixed feelings about this. they sould be tormented, but THEY say it brings attention to their cause..and i would NEVER want to do that....my husband says that if he ever would be told that he had just a few months to live, he would go wipe them all out....that statement reflects the anger that most of us feel at their presence....
gaylee

Hi Gay!!! :D

I'm so happy you came back to Bettermost! I've/we've missed you!!

The two of us discussed Fred Phelps a lot on IMDb. Remember? As a Midwesterner, I feel very ashamed of that terrible church. It's just like someone said earlier, maybe Heath's death will be their undoing. Few people will tolerate them harrassing and badmouthing Heath and his family.

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2008, 06:19:36 pm »
wouldn't that be the sweetest revenge??  and Heath's passing would have brought about real and lasting change, just as his life and his role as Ennis did for me.
yes, i remember, David.....i've missed you too!!
g

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2008, 06:44:41 pm »
Maggie, thats really interesting to get your view on them as a person living near them - yes it was Shirley Phelps on the recording. Shes quite the woman isn't she?

And she calls her kids by numbers - child no 11 grandchild no 4 ect.

What makes me laugh is that was her oldest son not born out of wedlock? Yet she's not going to hell but all the other unmarried mothers are?

:-X give me a break.....!

(and Gay, yes lovely to see you - I ahve often onder how you wer and how your garden was - i remeber the great pictures - and that amaziong picture of your children telling you you wer going to be a granny)

Offline ennisjack

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »
Well, God Bless your Mama, ennisjack, for bringing you into the world!  Your comment was the first thing that has made me laugh in days!  There is always something good to be said about the Sparkling Gay Wit.  I love it!   Poor sharks, indeed!  And I'll have something of my own to say in a minute, but I doubt I can top what you said so well, EJ. I was feeling pretty low until I came to this thread. Laughter... good medicine.

So happy to be of service, Rayn. :)
If ya can't fix it, ya gotta stand it; If ya can't stand it, ya gotta fix it; If ya can't do either one then ya either need some serious help or yer screwed

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2008, 07:56:33 pm »
I've been watching the unfolding info on this weird Phelps clan in horror, disbelief and total disgust.... but also rather detached in relation to Heath's funeral, I must admit - because I figured they couldn't go to Australia and that would be that for their shameless hate-mongering.

But now that Heath's family has come to the States for the service in LA, I'm worried these despicable morons will actually show up and make good on their threats and make a horrible ugly distressing scene of it all. I mean, with the huge media attention this is getting, and all the celebrities that (probably) will be in attendance, this must be the Phelps maniacs' wildest dream come true.  :(

Isn't there any way to stop them? Can't they be held on charges of disturbing the peace, disturbing public order, child abuse (ref. what has been said here of the small children having to hold indecent posters and what not). Anything - to get them off the streets for that day?

I'm clutching at straws, here.

Is there nothing to do?  :'(

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 07:08:15 am by Mikaela »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2008, 10:58:32 pm »
I like the way you think, Mika.  What you described has the seeds of a screenplay for a great movie comedy.  ;D

Fingers crossed that the creeps won't get wind of the location til it's too late.  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2008, 02:34:30 am »
Hi Kelda!!  and here is the pix of that sweet little grand daughter & me!
i really like the terrorist idea...maybve Jack Bauer could be called on the take them down?? 
yes, LA will be a festival for them, and don't worry if they want to go "doen under" they will...they have more money than god since they are all attorneys...i hope the patriot guard shows up, or someone like them..maybe the hells angels...now wouldn't THAT bae a perfect irony!!??
i'm not sure about the laws out there, but here there is nothing to do..they keep JUSt within the law, which they know backward and forward....but one of these days, they WILL slip up, and that little chink in the armour will be all that is needed and someone somwhere will smell the blood, and it will be over....i pray for that day...they have spent alot of time speaking for god, i'd like for her to have her turn....
mm   

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2008, 04:27:16 am »
Reminder Before Rita Made Landfall

Hurricanes are not stopped by prayer and it’s

nothing to joke about, I know
still I cannot but recall
how after Katrina
some ministers blamed
The Big Easy‘s sinful history
for provoking God's wrath upon the city.
So as Rita turned for Texas,
knowing the damage could be Biblical
I said she was God's judgment
on the president’s home state
for the war in Iraq, the deaths of too many Americans
not to mention 100,000 Iraqi men
women, children who perished too.
An unreasonable, unkind
stupid point of view?  Yes,
and exactly the point: It is not
in the nature of Love
to curse the world with untimely death, disease,
disaster and war, “God is Love.”

You’d think his people would’ve gotten that by now.

From “Of One and Many Worlds”... Poetic Matrix Press with permission from the author.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2008, 06:30:00 am »
Poetry and Prayers are strong antidotes for situations like the one Mr. Phelps is trying to create and so with just the addition of Heath' s name to the prayer and editing out one one, I offer this one I found, written by John Donne, a great poet's words for the passing of a great actor.

Bring Heathcliff Andrew Ledger, O Lord God, at last awakening,
into the house and gate of heaven,
to enter into that gate, and dwell in that house where there shall be
no darkness nor dazzling, but one equal light;
no noise nor silence, but one equal music;
no fears nor hopes, but one equal possession;
no ends nor beginnings, but one equal eternity;
in the habitation of thy glory and dominion,
world without end. Amen.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2008, 07:09:45 am »
Hi Kelda!!  and here is the pix of that sweet little grand daughter & me!

Gay, I love your profile pic - its so cute!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2008, 10:11:04 am »
This is from The News, in Australia:

Aussie baptists denounce Ledger picket

January 26, 2008 12:12pm

Article from: AAP

THE Baptist Union of Australia has moved to distance itself from members of a US church who are planning to picket memorial services for Australian actor Heath Ledger.

The Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas said it would protest any memorial held for Ledger in the US because the 28-year-old actor supported homosexuals when he played a gay cowboy in Brokeback Mountain.

Baptist Union of Australia president Reverend Ross Clifford said Australian baptists were not associated with the Westboro church.

He said the thoughts and prayers of Australian baptists were with Ledger's family and friends in their grief and sadness.

"The intention of ... Westboro Baptist Church members to picket the memorial services is completely inappropriate,'' he said.

"Their statements are increasingly extreme and counter-productive.''

Westboro parishioner Shirley Phelps told Sydney radio station 2Day FM she would picket services.
"I'm going to picket him in two places,'' she told 2Day FM.

"I'm going to stand outside of any public memorial service that he has here.

"And then the other place I'm going to picket him is when they prop him up to worship his dead, rotting carcass further at the Oscars. I'll be right outside by the red carpet.''

The church has ruled out travelling to Australia for the funeral.

Ledger's family will hold a private memorial in New York today.

A public remembrance has also been proposed for Los Angeles in the coming days.

Details of any services in Australia have not been released.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23112354-29277,00.html
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2008, 10:38:35 am »
Westboro parishioner Shirley Phelps told Sydney radio station 2Day FM she would picket services.
"I'm going to picket him in two places,'' she told 2Day FM.

"I'm going to stand outside of any public memorial service that he has here.

"And then the other place I'm going to picket him is when they prop him up to worship his dead, rotting carcass further at the Oscars. I'll be right outside by the red carpet.''

The church has ruled out travelling to Australia for the funeral.

Ledger's family will hold a private memorial in New York today.

ugh.

Offline David

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2008, 10:50:40 am »

Isn't there any way to stop them? Can't they be held on charges of disturbing the peace, disturbing public order, child abuse (ref. what has been said here of the small children having to hold indecent posters and what not). Anything - to get them off the streets for that day?

I'm clutching at straws, here.

Is there nothing to do?  :'(

A lot of cities are facing the same problem with Phelps and some other radicals.       Phelps even pickets at the funerals of Veterans.    Many towns, cities and Veteran organizations have been trying to get laws passed to prevent any picketing or protests at funerals.

Freedom of speech has it limits.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2008, 10:13:13 pm »
So glad they have decided not to go to Australia.  Praise The Lord for that!

Offline KristinDaBomb

• My Blog
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2008, 06:08:32 pm »
I have hated the Phelps gang for a long time. Now I hate them even more. They are disgusting human beings and when I think of them still alive and Heath has died, it makes me sick.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2008, 09:53:55 pm »
As far as I know, the Phelps gang has been thwarted in regard to picketing Heath's service.  There was a private dinner and viewing Saturday night in Los Angeles for family and a few friends, and I've seen no mention that anyone was there to be obnoxious.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2008, 10:07:12 pm »
As far as I know, the Phelps gang has been thwarted in regard to picketing Heath's service.  There was a private dinner and viewing Saturday night in Los Angeles for family and a few friends, and I've seen no mention that anyone was there to be obnoxious.  8)

Let's just hope it stays that way! >:(

Thanks for the info, Meryl!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2008, 06:21:28 pm »
but they were at SAG last night?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2008, 06:27:48 pm »
but they were at SAG last night?

Yes, there was a mention of them in one article.  >:(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2008, 10:36:38 pm »
Informatively, the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras is launched on Feb 9 and the Parade (and Party) will be on March 1. Whaddaya bet Heath/Ennis will lead the parade, haloed, winged and chorused by hundreds of angelic cowboys?

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2008, 10:44:13 pm »
So glad they have decided not to go to Australia.  Praise The Lord for that!

Australia law probably wouldn't allow that type of behavior.  They'd probably get brained by a boomerang, or worse.
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2008, 03:30:37 am »
I Googled and found the church where Jason Sedillo is or maybe was the interim youth pastor and sent a thank you PM.  I say "maybe was" because one page of the website listed him as interim youth pastor, and another page listed someone else simply as youth pastor, like maybe the job got filled.  Who knows?  Hopefully they'll pass it on to him anyway.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2008, 04:04:13 am »
What a great thing to do, Elle.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2008, 04:14:20 am »
Court, you are a silver lining this week.  Big hug, Friend.

Anyone who has arrived at BetterMost in the last year may not know cmr107, but she is a swell, beloved Brokie and I love her!

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2008, 04:19:52 am »
she is a swell, beloved Brokie and I love her!

Right back atcha, friend.  :-*

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2008, 05:00:01 pm »
does anyone have a picture of that - I read about it but I'd sure as hell love to SEE it.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2008, 05:57:53 pm »
I haven't found any pictures yet from the night of the SAG awards, but here's a few images from past Phelps protests.

I think one of the saddest things is what they are doing to their children. Borderline child abuse in my opinion. I guess they are trying to insure the Phelps family legacy continues after Freddy and co. are six feet under.

OFFENSIVE!!!   OFFENSIVE!!!   OFFENSIVE!!!   OFFENSIVE!!!   OFFENSIVE!!!!   OFFENSIVE!!!   OFFENSIVE!!!  OFFENSIVE!!!

The following pictures may be offensive to some members!!

:o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o    :o   

moremojo

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2008, 06:05:47 pm »
You know someone in that Phelps clan has got to be gay themselves, or will come to know themselves as gay at some future time. Lots of folks speculate that Fred himself is a serious closet case, and I could certainly believe it, given the obsession he has with this one topic.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2008, 06:11:41 pm »
does anyone have a picture of that - I read about it but I'd sure as hell love to SEE it.

I'd loe to see a pic of HIm beside them with the RIP Heath sign though. That would be so good.

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2008, 12:02:11 am »
I swear. That church of theirs is a boil on the butt of humanity. Can you believe they are actually BEGGING Heath's family for information so they can go and picket the funeral? What a bunch of losers!

Thanks Verona for posting this!

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2008, 12:11:55 am »
You know someone in that Phelps clan has got to be gay themselves, or will come to know themselves as gay at some future time. Lots of folks speculate that Fred himself is a serious closet case, and I could certainly believe it, given the obsession he has with this one topic.
Yup, it's the only (ahem...) "sin" he's this concerned with. Oddly enough, we don't we see these loons threatening  actors who play murderers, rapists and child molesters... or devil worshipers.

Interesting, no?  :-X

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2008, 12:25:02 am »
Did you all notice their zip code?  I think THAT's what God thinks of Westboro Baptist Church.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2008, 12:34:49 am »
Did a gay website post their press release?  It's amusing to see the ads surrounding it.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2008, 12:41:21 am »
Did you all notice their zip code?  I think THAT's what God thinks of Westboro Baptist Church.

LMFAO!! Lord, I needed that laugh.

They have gone way beyond the realm of insanity now. "Tell us where to show up to disrespect you, your son and his memory in our trademark vile manner. It's what he would have wanted."

Oh, and of course they will spread their hatred from within "a respectful proximity."

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2008, 12:42:46 am »
Did a gay website post their press release?  It's amusing to see the ads surrounding it.  ;)
Why, yes. Yes they did.  ;)

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2008, 07:26:13 pm »

Us queers like to know our enemas. . . I mean, enemies. 

How pitiful is that letter?  Claiming to speak for Heath.  Just ignernt.  At least they said please. 

I say we get that guy who tried to pass himself off as Heath's dad to Tom Cruise and other celebrities to call ole Fred up and tell him that the funeral will be held somewhere in the back of beyond, send 'em on a wild goose chase.  Then, maybe that crazy crew will get lost and have to duke it out with dingoes.  I'd feel sorry for the dingoes. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2008, 12:42:29 am »

I say we get that guy who tried to pass himself off as Heath's dad to Tom Cruise and other celebrities to call ole Fred up and tell him that the funeral will be held somewhere in the back of beyond, send 'em on a wild goose chase.  Then, maybe that crazy crew will get lost and have to duke it out with dingoes.  I'd feel sorry for the dingoes. 

:laugh: :laugh:  This is great smellykelly.  It's nice to laugh a bit these days. 

But, just reading this... it strikes me... isn't it just incredible how surreal and odd this story about poor Heath has become?  An imposter posing as his Dad?  Tom Cruise?  Phelps?  Entertainment Tonight?  Etc.  How did it all come to this?
 ::) :-\

It will be nice when all the frenzy of media attention has finally moved along.  I yearn for Heath to be able to rest in peace at this point.
 :'(

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2008, 07:45:11 pm »
Just when you think this can't get any better:  :-X

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23145396-5012895,00.html

Well, let's see, if God hates Australia because an Australian actor played a gay man in a movie, then God must hate America -- hence, all Americans are going to hell -- because not only have any number of American actors played gay people, but also there are actual gay people here. As in every other country.

So in other words, I guess everybody in the world is going to hell.

Do they have the bed space down there? Will they have to expand? Will Satan raise all our taxes to pay for it? Will heaven suffer its own fiscal problems without any new patrons?

This raises a lot of questions.   ???

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2008, 07:53:44 pm »
God Hates America is actually one of the core principles of their, uh, "church."

Stay with me here... God hates [homosexuals], America supposedly condones homosexuality, so God hates America. Therefore anyone who represents America (such as our soldiers) is also hated by God. Heath played a homosexual, which God hates, so God hates Heath. Heath was Australian, and Australia loves Heath, so God hates Australia. It all makes perfect sense.

If you're INSANE.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2008, 08:13:41 pm »
But wait, if you go to the website in the article, look what happens. It's great, for real:  http://godhatesaustralia.com

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2008, 08:17:15 pm »
Well, let's see. Americans won't let gay people get married or serve in the military. Yet because America supposedly "tolerates" gays (as opposed to what? never mind, I don't want to know) gay people are still responsible for sending all Americans to hell.

Seems like kind of a damned if you do, damned if you ...

Oh. Right.

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2008, 08:27:58 pm »
But wait, if you go to the website in the article, look what happens. It's great, for real:  http://godhatesaustralia.com

That is friggin' AWESOME!  :D

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2008, 08:55:27 pm »
So in other words, I guess everybody in the world is going to hell.
Guess you got it in one! See you all there!

(Of course, countries such as Iran and Saudi Arabia should in theory be very much loved by the Phelps's God. But I suppose their God hates those countries for not adhering to the Bible, even if the horribly inhuman treatment of gays there meets with Phelps approval...) Nope. Just can't win with these people. **shudder**

Oh, and the GodhatesAustralia site is a HOOT!!!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2008, 09:10:40 pm »
Hee, I love that God Hates Australia site!  8)

Mika, wanna be my roomie in Hell?  We should reserve a giant Brokie wing in the Hades Hilton.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2008, 09:17:11 pm »
Sure!  8)  Better make reservations early, because that place is gonna be crowded!!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2008, 09:23:07 pm »
I want to be where you guys are!  ;)

;D

injest

« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2008, 10:12:35 pm »
three friends died and went to Heaven...it was wonderful, golden streets and fluffy clouds to lay on..but all they got to eat day after day was tunafish sandwiches.

They could look down into Hell, and the people there were dining on lobster, steaks, huge racks of ribs, with all the trimmings and desserts you could imagine...

after a while they approached God and asked why the people in Hell got all that great food and all they got was tunafish....

God sighed and said "Well, ok. but it just seems like SO much trouble just for the three of you..."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2008, 10:15:18 pm »
three friends died and went to Heaven...it was wonderful, golden streets and fluffy clouds to lay on..but all they got to eat day after day was tunafish sandwiches.

They could look down into Hell, and the people there were dining on lobster, steaks, huge racks of ribs, with all the trimmings and desserts you could imagine...

after a while they approached God and asked why the people in Hell got all that great food and all they got was tunafish....

God sighed and said "Well, ok. but it just seems like SO much trouble just for the three of you..."

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Hey, I just thought of the bright spot in the Phelps' predictions:  We'll be with Heath!  I'm inviting him over for lobster first thing.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2008, 02:16:02 am »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We'll be with Heath!  I'm inviting him over for lobster first thing.  ;D

He'll be in much demand ...  ::)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2008, 02:36:56 am »
Anke and Mika, I'm sorry, you aren't American or Australian.  As far as I've heard, you don't get to go with us.  :(

Anke, I love the rosehips.  Beautiful.

Y'all, be sure to look at the godhatesaustralia website.  It'll cheer you up, honest.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2008, 02:43:07 am »
I love the dancing bear in the street. Cute!

Thank God someone salvaged that website name before Fred Phelps had a chance to pollute it.

mvansand76

« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2008, 05:32:08 am »
Well if those Phelps people are going to heaven, I sure AS HELL don't want to be there, I would prefer Hell. See you all there.

Love the dancing bear! Yeeeeeh!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2008, 05:46:29 am »
I'll be there with bells on....in Hell, that is. I'm sure you'll find me. I'll be flaming, as usual. :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2008, 11:27:56 am »
"Anyone interesting up there in heaven?"

"Nope."

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2008, 11:33:22 am »
Anke and Mika, I'm sorry, you aren't American or Australian.  As far as I've heard, you don't get to go with us.  :(

Anke, I love the rosehips.  Beautiful.

Y'all, be sure to look at the godhatesaustralia website.  It'll cheer you up, honest.
Um, pay attention, Ellemeno... GOD HATES BROKIES!  :P We're all laughing in God's face just like Heath was, because we think being a [nasty F word for homosexual] is OK! We're [nasty F word]-enablers!!

And I quote verbatim from Phelps himself:

God Hates [Fs]! & [F]-Enablers! Ergo, God hates the sordid, tacky bucket of slime seasoned with vomit known as Brokeback Mountain - and He hates all persons having anything whatsoever to do with it.

Pull up a log, Anke and Mika--the lobster's on the barby, and so are you! Yeeeeeeeehaw!  :laugh:

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2008, 11:44:38 am »
Pull up a log, Anke and Mika--the lobster's on the barby, and so are you! Yeeeeeeeehaw!  :laugh:

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Ich bin ein Brokie...

mvansand76

« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2008, 11:45:01 am »
"Anyone interesting up there in heaven?"

"Nope."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2008, 11:48:13 am »
>:( Well I never thought I'd be sorry for being denied entry to hell, but there's a first for everything! However, being in Heaven with Phelps would be my personal idea of hell, so no way am I accepting that punishment without putting up a fight!  Just gotta find a way to convince everyone I belong with the hottie lobster-nibbling sinners' barbeque group....

Pull up a log, Anke and Mika--the lobster's on the barby, and so are you! Yeeeeeeeehaw!
Yay! ...right way has been found! Thanks, Verona! ;)

**Curls toasty-warm toes with glee and toasts y'all with good hot glühwein**

Seriously, when Phelps hasn't mentioned that GodHatesNorway yet, I'm sure it is because he thinks Norway is the capital of Azerbaijan or something, and it's difficult for God to hate a place the Phelps clan don't rightly know where is. Even if that place is about to pass a gender-neutral marriage act.  ;)

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2008, 12:25:49 pm »
Mikaela, God hates everyone and everything except for Phelps and the 40 or so members of his "congregation." So yeah, the underworld sounds like it's the place to be.

OT, but your avatar/message made me cry. "Goodnight, sweet prince..."  :'(

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2008, 04:16:25 pm »

Seriously, when Phelps hasn't mentioned that GodHatesNorway yet, I'm sure it is because he thinks Norway is the capital of Azerbaijan or something

:laugh:

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2008, 04:51:41 pm »

:laugh:

What are you laughing at, smartypants? GODHATESBETTERMOST!!!!  :P

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2008, 05:04:26 pm »
OT, but your avatar/message made me cry. "Goodnight, sweet prince..."  :'(

Thank you. I didn't want to make anyone cry, but I've always loved that image of Heath, it's so calm, pensive, tranquil, just filled with reflection.... and Hamlet's last words seem so very fitting for it.  :-\ In more ways than one.  :'(

At any rate, since Shakespeare wore an earring and wrote love sonnets to his Earl patron, it is abundantly obvious that GodHatesShakespeare !

If his name wasn't so darn difficult to write, the Phelps clan would picket performances of "Romeo and Juliet" with huge garish posters of Shakespeare in HELL!!!

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2008, 05:18:35 pm »
Thank you. I didn't want to make anyone cry, but I've always loved that image of Heath, it's so calm, pensive, tranquil, just filled with reflection.... and Hamlet's last words seem so very fitting for it.  :-\ In more ways than one.  :'(

At any rate, since Shakespeare wore an earring and wrote love sonnets to his Earl patron, it is abundantly obvious that GodHatesShakespeare !

If his name wasn't so darn difficult to write, the Phelps clan would picket performances of "Romeo and Juliet" with huge garish posters of Shakespeare in HELL!!!

Not to mention most of his other plays. Whole lotta gayin' goin' on. But I think it's safe to say that those ignorant morons have never read a word of Shakespeare. They are truly the most worthless creatures God ever saw fit to create. Even more worthless than earwigs, mosquitoes and barnacles.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2008, 05:20:47 pm »
What are you laughing at, smartypants? GODHATESBETTERMOST!!!!  :P

Somebody better go reserve the domain quick!  :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2008, 05:36:55 pm »
Somebody better go reserve the domain quick!  :laugh:

Good idea! Who's got a bear suit?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2008, 05:43:26 pm »
sordid, tacky bucket of slime seasoned with vomit

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :o :o :o

Isn't this just the most amazing phrase?  I mean, it's just so vivid and over-the-top.  I wonder how long it took him to come up with this one?

Most definitely "strong stomachs are needed" to deal with Phelps.  No question... and it turns out it's a very literal situation.

:P ::)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 08:13:46 pm by atz75 »

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2008, 06:28:23 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :o :o :o

Isn't this just the most amazing phrase?  I mean, it's just so vivid and over-the-top.  I wonder how long it took him to come up with this one?

Most definitely "strong stomach are needed" to deal with Phelps.  No question... and it turns out it's a very literal situation.

:P ::)
Well, they're "Christians." When you think of the teachings of Jesus Christ, don't you think of phrases like that? Don't you think of pure, unadulterated, hideous HATE?

To borrow from Jack Twist... "me neither."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2008, 07:21:31 pm »
I found these youtube audio clips of Shirley Phelps making a complete ASS out of herself on the Australian airwaves as she desperately tries to convince people Heath Ledger (and everybody else) is in Hell...

Warning: Contains anti-gay slurs and offensive comments about Heath.

This is in two parts.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEvFmBkfDKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6kGUvzPikw

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2008, 07:37:29 pm »

Hey Jess i love the heaven story....To tell the truth if there is a heaven and hell.  If that
Phelps guy and all his freaky minions are gonna be there.  I will take hell.  Those people will
be much more fun anyway................

Hey Meryl, sign me up there too.. i hate tuna sandwiches....

Beautiful mind

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2008, 08:50:03 pm »
Hey Meryl, sign me up there too.. i hate tuna sandwiches....

Yeah, lobster clubs are the only way to go.  ;D

David, thanks for the links, but forgive me if I take a pass.  Just reading the stuff is hard enough for me to deal with.  :P  :(

It's been great to be able to have some fun with those twerps.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2008, 09:05:11 pm »
Oh that's okay Meryl! The reason I posted it is because they really put Shirley through the wringer. I love it when bigots get put in their place. She became so frazzled towards the end of the interview she hung up the phone on them.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2008, 03:06:25 am »
I'm glad I just listened to it.  I got hope listening to the other people talking.  She just sounded like a vicious nut.

Gay man, "I thought Christians were people who treat people well."
Phelps woman, "I'm treating you way better than you treat me, because I'm telling you the truth."

Weeping lesbian Christian, "What about 'Do unto others...?"
Phelps woman, "The Bible says, 'Follow my Commandments.'"
Weeping lesbian Christian, "There's nothing in the Ten Commandments about homosexuality."

Radio woman, "It's hard to believe God wants you to be so filled with hate."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2008, 03:28:14 am »
I'm glad I just listened to it.  I got hope listening to the other people talking.  She just sounded like a vicious nut.

Gay man, "I thought Christians were people who treat people well."
Phelps woman, "I'm treating you way better than you treat me, because I'm telling you the truth."

Weeping lesbian Christian, "What about 'Do unto others...?"
Phelps woman, "The Bible says, 'Follow my Commandments.'"
Weeping lesbian Christian, "There's nothing in the Ten Commandments about homosexuality."

Radio woman, "It's hard to believe God wants you to be so filled with hate."

I glad you listened to it Clarissa, and you understand why I posted it. It DOES give us hope!! The world is rallying around Heath, and it makes me happy. They put this crazy woman in her place. I hope she'll stop and think about it! I doubt it, but let's all hope she does.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2008, 07:18:31 am »
You'll close ranks down in hell for me when the time has come? I don't want to be alone up there with the Phelps nuts. And I think I don't have to, since I'm a Brokie - phew, lucky me  ;).

Seriously, what do you think they want? I can't believe that they believe what they're saying. Apart from hateful, it's extreme stupid. Is it really possible that a whole group of people (all of them, every single member) truly believes this extreme BS?
And if not, why on earth do they support it? What are their intentions?

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2008, 09:53:36 am »
You'll close ranks down in hell for me when the time has come? I don't want to be alone up there with the Phelps nuts. And I think I don't have to, since I'm a Brokie - phew, lucky me  ;).

Seriously, what do you think they want? I can't believe that they believe what they're saying. Apart from hateful, it's extreme stupid. Is it really possible that a whole group of people (all of them, every single member) truly believes this extreme BS?
And if not, why on earth do they support it? What are their intentions?

There's not many of them (40 or so), and a lot of them are his family members. They just make themselves high-profile by doing repulsive things like showing up at Matthew Shepard's funeral with signs reading "God Hates [F]s" and other lovely sentiments... laughing, dancing, singing stupid little ditties about how happy they are that God killed another one, etc.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2008, 12:59:59 pm »
There's not many of them (40 or so), and a lot of them are his family members. They just make themselves high-profile by doing repulsive things like showing up at Matthew Shepard's funeral with signs reading "God Hates [F]s" and other lovely sentiments... laughing, dancing, singing stupid little ditties about how happy they are that God killed another one, etc.

I know. But why? Do you really think they believe all the cr*p they're saying?

moremojo

« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2008, 01:20:09 pm »
I do suspect they truly believe all they say. I think they're sincere Christians, they're just subscribing to an interpretation of the religion that has fallen out of fashion in our modern, more permissive society.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2008, 01:35:04 pm »
Whatever happened to "Love thy neighbor as thyself"?

Perhaps there's a lot of self-hatred going on with that inbred Phelps clan.

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2008, 01:51:33 pm »
They absolutely, positively believe what they're saying. I also agree that there's definitely some latent homosexuality going on there, because for all their "Christian" posturing, they only seem to be concerned (well, OBSESSED) with one particular "sin." They don't seem to have any problem at all with lying, cheating, stealing, murder, rape, torture, child molesting (except where gay priests are concerned, of course) or anything else that would seem to be against God's will. They just can't get their minds out of the bedrooms of homosexuals, and what might be going on in there. One can't help but wonder why that is, hmm?

Call me cynical... :-X

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2008, 02:28:03 pm »
Verona, that has been my exact take on the matter too.  :-\

I think their behaviour is a compromise between the ignorant and intolerant brand of Christianity they subscribe to that sadly still believes homosexuality to be an "abomination in the eyes of the Lord " etc etc  -  and a deep and very intense fascination with the ins and outs (pardon the pun) of gay sex. It's an obsessive and prurient fascination at that - though they'd never admit it, nor are they probably fully conscious of that particular part.

I wish they would let the whole "abomination" thing go and just admit to the fascination. (yeah, I know - dream on.) Read up on some good slash stories, watch themselves some gay porn, even. Would give them a more tolerant, happy and relaxed life all around. Because when all is said and done I can't imagine any of these Phelps people with all their frustrated anger and their child abuse (IMO) are happy for a second of the day.

Hey - Paul, I see the dancing bear has joined our ranks! That's cool!  :)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2008, 03:13:47 pm »
Sure enough, don't know if it applies to the Phelps clan, but a lot of the most extreme homophobes are intensely self-hating people with gay feelings. 

Glad you like the bear. :)

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2008, 05:02:06 pm »
Sure enough, don't know if it applies to the Phelps clan, but a lot of the most extreme homophobes are intensely self-hating people with gay feelings. 

Hm, now that you mention this, I wonder if the Phelps clan has divulged their first-hand knowledge  ::) of whether or no GodHatesTedHaggard. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2008, 05:14:57 pm »
I would probably argue that they're giving those people too much publicity with the interviews and so on. Except that I think those interviews just about serve as public-service announcements against homophobia.

I do suspect they truly believe all they say. I think they're sincere Christians, they're just subscribing to an interpretation of the religion that has fallen out of fashion in our modern, more permissive society.

Though you'd think anybody who spent 10 minutes considering what Christ was supposedly saying ...

On yesterday's episode of The Colbert Report one of the guests was an evangelical Christian academic and author named Tony Campolo who is a Democrat and is in favor of gay rights, including marriage.

Here's the link to the guy's book, in case anybody's interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Letter-Christians-Citizens-Politics/dp/0830745297/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202245769&sr=8-1

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2008, 06:47:22 pm »
I saw that last night, Crayons... it was awesome.  :D

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2008, 10:55:19 pm »
www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-westboro0204,0,7126171.story
baltimoresun.com
From Tuesday's Sun
Judge halves amount of damages Westboro church must pay
Anti-gay group will pay $5 million for protest at Marine's Westminster funeral

By Matthew Dolan

Sun reporter

7:51 PM EST, February 4, 2008

A federal judge in Baltimore substantially reduced Monday the amount of damages a Kansas-based anti-gay group and three of its leading members must pay for their protest at a Marine's funeral in Westminster.

In a 52-page decision, U.S. District Judge Richard D. Bennett affirmed the jury's verdict in favor of the father of Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder. Albert Snyder successfully sued the church for emotional distress and invasion of his family's privacy after Westboro Baptist Church members waved signs decrying homosexuality at his son's funeral in March 2006.

"There was more than sufficient evidence to support the jury's verdict that [Westboro's] conduct before, during and after the funeral of Matthew Snyder was outrageous [and] highly offensive to a reasonable person," Bennett wrote.

But the judge also more than halved the $10.9 million award announced in October to $5 million, noting constitutional concerns of appropriateness. He held up the jury's compensatory damage award of $2.9 million but reduced the total punitive damages to $2.1 million.

Bennett cited Supreme Court precedent requiring the judge to weigh the nature of the harm suffered by Snyder against the financial resources of Westboro and its members to finance a large damage award.

A pending appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit by Westboro to overturn the verdict remains in limbo. First, Bennett, the trial judge, must decide how much of a bond the church and its members will have to post while the appeal continues. Church members have argued that they should not be required to post a bond during the appeals process.

A hearing on the issue is scheduled for March 6, according to one of the defendants, Shirley Phelps-Roper.

Westboro church members say they believe soldiers are being killed in Iraq and Afghanistan as punishment for what they say is the nation's tolerance of homosexuality. There was no evidence that Westboro members targeted the Marine's funeral because they believed he was gay.

Still, the Phelps family argued during the trial that their often incendiary protests should be allowed under the First Amendment, which guarantees freedom of speech and religion.

Bennett largely rejected that argument, saying, "Quite simply, the Supreme Court has recognized that there is not an absolute First Amendment right for any and all speech directed by private individuals against other private individuals."

Made up almost entirely of relatives of its founder, Fred Phelps Sr., the fire-and-brimstone Christian group, based in Topeka, has protested military funerals across the country with placards bearing shock-value messages such as "Thank God for dead soldiers."

Most recently, they announced they would appear at services for deceased Hollywood actor Heath Ledger, who starred in the film Brokeback Mountain, a gay love story.

Several leading constitutional scholars say they believe that Westboro has a good chance of overturning the verdict on appeal based on broad First Amendment protections.

But in his decision Monday, Bennett stood firm.

"Defendants cannot by their own actions transform a private funeral into a public event and then bootstrap their position by arguing that Matthew Snyder was a public figure," the judge wrote.

Bennett also took time in his decision to quote extensively the courtroom account given by Albert Snyder at the trial.

"He testified that Defendants placed a 'bug' in his head such that he is unable to separate thoughts of his son from the Defendant's actions: "there are nights that I just, you know, I try to think of my son at times and every time I think of my son or pass his picture handing on the wall or see the medals handing on the wall that he received from the [Marine Corps], I see those signs."

Church leaders argued in court papers that the jury did not take into account their net worth when it imposed an award of more than 10 times their financial holdings.

"The First Amendment prohibits this action from going forward," Shirley Phelps-Roper said Monday. "It always has and it always will. You can rebel against that law, but that's why we have appeals courts. So we're off and running."

Lawyers for the Marine's father say they believe the church should be ordered to pay the award immediately or post a bond to secure the judgment during the appeals process. They added that they have evidence produced during discovery for the trial that Westboro members did not tell the truth about their assets.

"Based on the case law, the reduction in the award does not surprise us," Snyder's attorney Sean Summers said Monday. "But we're very pleased with the decision to uphold the jury's verdict."

[email protected]

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2008, 10:56:48 pm »
deceased Hollywood actor Heath Ledger  :'( :'( :'(

God, that hit me like a ton of bricks when I read it.

Offline whatthefuckbenj

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2008, 02:29:02 pm »
Sorry to be posting this.

http://www.godhatesfags.com/written/fliers/20080122_heath-ledger-brokeback-mountain.pdf

I hope Heath is buried in Australia. If they decide to follow, the gay QANTAS flight attendants will give them a memorable trip.

hehe I like your way of thinking! Maybe they could accidentally slip something in their food?? :D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2008, 02:10:32 am »
So, I never heard anything about pickets in Australia.  Seems like that one part of this sad story worked out well.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2008, 01:20:50 am »
Australia law probably wouldn't allow that type of behavior.  They'd probably get brained by a boomerang, or worse.
I don't see how any of them could get brained.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2008, 01:24:51 am »
So, I never heard anything about pickets in Australia.  Seems like that one part of this sad story worked out well.
Indeed. I don't see a post in the update about the family all going for a splash in the sea after the funeral. That sounds like a good thing to do. After the funeral of a friend of mine was a separate gathering for tributes (a very good idea, I think) and at the end of that, we all went out to the beach and threw flowers in the sea.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2008, 04:01:10 am »
Karma is a beeyotch. Sooner or later they will get what's coming to them.

Just wait and see. In fact, I think it may already be happening. :)