Author Topic: Phelps to picket (strong stomach needed)  (Read 54158 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Phelps to picket (strong stomach needed)
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 12:03:44 am »
Last night Lynne was telling me about people who dressed as angels who stood between the mourners and the picketers at Matthew Shepard's funeral, shielding the mourners with their large wings. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 12:10:59 am »
Last night Lynne was telling me about people who dressed as angels who stood between the mourners and the picketers at Matthew Shepard's funeral, shielding the mourners with their large wings. 

Yes, there was a group that dressed up and tried to shield the service for Matthew Shepard and I think the continue to serve in that capacity at funerals when there is a need.  I've also seen similar groups at Pride parades... shielding the parade route and especially near groups of angry protesters.

Also, I know there is a group of bikers that protect military funerals from the likes of Phelps... they try to bar the way to protesters groups such as Phelps.

The people who dress up in angel outfits and the bikers both have special names as groups, but I can't think of them right now.  They definitely seem like good people and very brave to stand right up to the likes of Phelps and similar groups.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 12:19:59 am »

Offline ennisjack

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 12:22:19 am »
GOD DAMN THEIR ASSES TO HELL!!! >:(  >:(

I hope the Qantas flight attendants shove their ignorant asses off the airplane... over the Pacific ocean.... in shark infested waters.... at 35.000 feet!

Sons of bitches! >:(

David, would you really want to pollute the ocean with trash like that and possibly poison some innocent shark?
If ya can't fix it, ya gotta stand it; If ya can't stand it, ya gotta fix it; If ya can't do either one then ya either need some serious help or yer screwed

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 12:49:45 am »
I'm hoping that this is SO over-the-top tasteless and insensitive that it will backfire, turning rational normal caring people against that kind of monstrous attitude once and for all.

Let's turn this into a positive.

As Amanda has experienced, I too have experienced protesters, specifically at The AIDS Walk here in San Francsico.  Folks stood inbetween the protesters and us and encouraged us to ingore them and keep on walkin'...

This death is turning into a big deal it seems.  I was just talkin' to my mother, and she said a woman at her work this morning, who she doesn't even talk to often, asked her point blank: "Did you hear the news?" and my mother answered "Yes", and both of them knew exactly what they were talking about without even mentioning Heath's name!

Heath was not a tabloid celebrity like Brittney or Lindsay.  That's why I think people say he was not a "household name".  However, it's seeming that in his death, people are coming out of the woodwork.  They know who he was and the roles he played, and they know he was an excellent actor.  I think a lot of folks have seen Brokeback Mountain, more than we think, and have been touched by it, or at least acknowledge Heath did an outstanding job acting.  The thing with Brokeback Mountain though, continues to be that no one will talk about it.  The movie's theme itself continues to exist with the very same folks who watch it.  Society continues to tell them it's not ok to talk about it.  But seceretly to themselves, they understand the story and are touched, or at least acknowledge Heath's performance. 

With Heath's passing people are suddenly coming out with it that they feel bad the actor has died.  It's no secret he's known for the "gay cowboy" role, you would have to be hiding under a rock not to know of Brokeback Mountain or the name Heath Ledger.  And many folks have seen the movie.  Even those that haven't seen the movie have heard his performance was spectacular in it.... Folks just never discussed it, and now in his death, they are suddenly acknowledging him and who he was and what roles he played (and played very well), even if they still wont say the words Brokeback Mountain.

Now here comes Phelps with his anti-hate messages.  I think even the upmost Cristian folks in the world cringe at the "god hates fags" campaign.  That's a pretty awful thing to say, and by using HIS name and the word HATE together, I'm sure it doesn't sit well, even with folks who might be homophobic.  They are homophobic, but I don't think they think "that".

We have a world acknowledging Heath as a "good boy" (not a paparatzzi tabloid star) and a great actor.  Then this fool comes along and pickets his funeral.  It's going to backfire, and infuriate folks, just like the protesters infuriated me at the AIDS walk.  Futhermore, it is more publicity for the movie.  Phelps is essentially carring the movie's message in his hate and hate speech.  Those who have seen Brokeback Mountain will not tolerate it.  This may be the first time *they* feel the cold stab of hate and homophobia directed *at them* (for liking and understanding Brokeback Mountain).  Those maybe who haven't seen it might check the movie out (to see what all the fuss is about now), and once their done with watching it, because of Phelps hate speech, they'll understand Brokeback Mountain more than they might have without it, and perhaps have a differnet and more positive outlook on gays and lesbians now.  It's as if they need to see and hear and experience this hate, to understand what Brokeback Mountain is.

As much as I don't like the idea of saying it, I say "bring 'em on".  I dare him to do it.  It's almost a necessary evil.  We need this nut job to expose the true hate of homophobia and have it be in the media spotlight, shown to everyone world wide.  Hate and homophobia exposed, for the world to witness and experience first hand.  Perhaps then, the subject of homophobia and Brokeback Mountain, might not be such a taboo subject to talk about anymore....  perhaps.  Folks will have to make a decision on this subject: which side of this do I want to be on?  I really doubt folks will side with Phelps. 

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 01:28:29 am »
Good points, Eric.

injest

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 01:37:43 am »
it is interesting to compare Anna Nicole's death to Heaths and how it is being covered...he is being compared to the greats...like James Dean...which is pretty cool. Instead of the tripe they talked about with Anna..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 01:43:24 am »
  David, would you really want to pollute the ocean with trash like that and possibly poison some innocent shark?

Cruelty to animals. You're right. I doubt the sharks would show any interest in them anyway. And we'd still be polluting the ocean and that isn't too cool.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 01:48:39 am »

Eric, thank you for your amazing post Friend.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 03:21:37 am »
Great post, eric. I wonder if people will make the link between the homophobia of Phelps and the message of the film. On one of the IMDb threads, someone said something like "I'm proud to be a Christian and I hate BBM and its message of bisexuality [implying she hadn't seen it], but Phelps is not a REAL Christian. God loves gays and he wants them to change..." I find that almost as toxic as Phelps because its still threat-of-Hell crap. [I didn't think of that answer at the time and now i can't find the post.]