Author Topic: Major Developments Update: Last updated 2/8/08  (Read 32725 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Major Developments Update: Last updated 2/8/08
« on: January 23, 2008, 12:44:29 pm »
Check this message for the latest developments you can find on the story in this forum.  News accounts can be read in their entirety in the News Accounts thread, excepting TMZ stories which have their own thread.

• Late afternoon Friday, Jan. 25:  Heath's body removed from Frank E. Campbell Funeral Home and taken to an undisclosed location,
    probably an airport.  No sign of family members at the funeral home.  Publicity agent Mara Buxbaum tells the NY Times that there are no plans for a    public memorial service in Los Angeles
  • Saturday morning, Jan. 26:  Michelle Wiliams and Matilda leave Brooklyn for a flight to Los Angeles
  • Saturday night, Jan. 26:  A private memorial for Heath is held in LA, according to various sources.  It consists of a dinner at the Beverly Hills Hotel with family and friends, including Naomi Watts, and a visit to the Westwood Village Memorial Park and Mortuary.
  • Saturday night, Jan. 26:  A memorial to Heath is part of the G'Day USA gala at NY's Waldorf Astoria Hotel
  • Sunday night, Jan. 27:  A memorial to Heath is part of the Annual SAG Awards telecast.  Best Actor winner Daniel Day-Lewis pays tribute to Heath and dedicates his award to him.
  • Monday night, Jan. 28:  Heath's father, Kim Ledger, arrives in New York
  • Tuesday, Jan. 29:  Kim Ledger visits Heath's 421 Broome Street apartment
  • Friday, Feb. 1: Michelle Williams issues her statement to the press
  • Saturday afternoon, Feb. 2:  A private memorial service is held on the Sony Pictures lot, attended by friends and colleagues, among them Todd Haynes, Sienna Miller, Shannyn Sossamon, Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes and Ellen Degeneres
  • Sunday, Feb. 3:  The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the Ledger family will have a private funeral in Perth and that Heath will be buried in Karrakatta Cemetery.  The Guildford Grammar School may be the site of a later public memorial service.
  • Tuesday, Feb. 5:  Ledger family arrives in Perth.  Private funeral services scheduled for Saturday at Karrakatta.
  • Wednesday, Feb. 6:  Toxicology results released by NYC Medical Examiner.  Cause of death ruled "accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications."  Michelle Williams and Matilda arrive in Perth.
  • Thursday, Feb. 7: Jake Gyllenhaal, among other friends, arrives in Perth.
  • Friday evening, February 8 (Saturday morning in Perth):  Kim Ledger speaks to the press, offering them a position to photograph mourners arriving and leaving a memorial service held at Penhros College in Como, south of Perth.  A private funeral for 10 family members follows at Karrakatta Cemetery.  A dinner is held later at Indiana Tea House on Cottesloe Beach, a favorite place of Heath's.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 01:09:42 am by Meryl »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Major Developments Update! - Thu 9:38am ET/1438 UTC
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:20:29 am »
  • 9:38am No illegal drugs were found in the apartment.

Whew.

• 9:38am Testing on a rolled-up $20 bill revealed no presence of drugs.

Whew.

• 9:38am Jack Nicholson clarified his remarks - saying he warned Ledger about Ambien, -not- illegal drugs.

Whew.

• 9:38am Heath's revised time of death is 1:30pm EST.  He would have been deceased before the arrival of the masseuse, making her actions inconsequential.

Whew.

• 9:38am All prescription medication was found in their respective bottles, not tossed about the room.

Whew.

• 9:38am The masseuse's hesitation and calls to Ledger friend Mary Kate Olsen were "out of concern for a media frenzy."

Whew.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:49:59 am »

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:37:31 pm »
Whew.

It must be human nature or maybe it sells more tabloids to assume the worse.  So far so qood.  I don't want him to join the ranks of a River Phoenix type.  Though of course, Heath was a much more talented actor in my opinion and was heading for a much higher trajectory in his career.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 12:41:46 pm »
As I just wrote on a different thread, personally I don't care if he did take drugs. But I don't want to see his memory besmirched by those who would make an issue of it.

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
Re: Major Developments Update! - Thu 11:43am ET/1643 UTC
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 05:25:08 pm »
Thank you for this Philip...and yes...WHEW is the word. 
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Major Developments Update! - Thu 11:43am ET/1643 UTC
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 06:27:37 pm »
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=294482&GT1=7701

Funeral Arrangements for Ledger Complete
Jan. 24, 2008, 4:42 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- Funeral arrangements for Heath Ledger have been completed and his relatives were expected to arrive in New York on Friday, a funeral home spokesman said.

George Amado, the general manager of the Frank E. Campbell funeral home, refused to disclose further details, saying any additional information would have to come from Ledger's manager.

"The family doesn't want us to give out any information," he said Thursday.

The 28-year-old actor's body was taken to the funeral home on Manhattan's Upper East Side on Wednesday, a day after he was found dead in his SoHo loft with bottles of prescription drugs nearby.

An autopsy Wednesday was inconclusive and further test results weren't expected for several days, medical examiner's office spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said. Police have said the Australian-born actor's death may have been caused by a drug overdose and appeared to be accidental.

News: Investigation continues in determining how actor died

Ledger's housekeeper and a massage therapist found the "Brokeback Mountain" star dead Tuesday, lying naked and face-down on his bed. Police said no illegal drugs were found in the apartment.

There were six different types of prescription drugs in the apartment, including pills to treat insomnia and anxiety, and an antihistamine, according to two law enforcement officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing. The officials said three of the drugs were prescribed in Europe. Ledger had recently been filming in London.

On Thursday, the makeshift memorial outside Ledger's apartment building had grown to more than 100 bouquets including tulips, daisies, carnations and tropical flowers, along with candles, signs, notes and other memorials. A computer printout of an Australian flag bore the message: "We will always be proud of you, Heath. Rest in peace, mate. You will be missed."

Some of Ledger's friends and relatives said they were baffled by the actor's death because he had appeared to be happy and healthy in the last months of his life.

Haydn Ledger, one of his uncles, said his nephew wouldn't have done anything rash. "It just wouldn't come into the equation at all," he said Thursday in an interview on CBS' "The Early Show."

He and Mike Ledger, another of the actor's uncles, deflected a question about whether their nephew had been depressed, saying that should be left to his parents to address.

Ledger told The New York Times in November that working on the films "The Dark Knight" — his last finished performance — and "I'm Not There" had been stressful, and that he had taken the insomnia medication Ambien to help with sleeplessness.

Police said a housekeeper went into his bedroom to change a light bulb Tuesday and saw him sleeping and heard him snoring around 1 p.m.

"I didn't think anything was wrong," the housekeeper, Teresa Solomon, told the New York Post. She said she was "still shaking" and unable to sleep a day after the actor's death.

At 2:45 p.m., the massage therapist showed up for Ledger's appointment, knocked on his door and got no answer. She later noticed Ledger was unconscious and called actress Mary-Kate Olsen, whose number was programmed into Ledger's cell phone, to seek advice, police said.

Olsen said she would send over her private security. In the ensuing moments, the massage therapist realized that Ledger might be dead, called Olsen again, and then called 911. Paramedics — and Olsen's security people — arrived minutes later.

Before moving to Manhattan, Ledger lived with then-girlfriend Michelle Williams — who played his wife in "Brokeback" — in Brooklyn, and the couple had a daughter, the now 2-year-old Matilda. The couple split last year.

Williams and Matilda returned to their Brooklyn home Wednesday evening from Trollhattan, Sweden. The 27-year-old actress had been there shooting scenes for the upcoming film "Mammoth," said Martin Stromberg, a spokesman for film production company Memfis Film.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
Re: Major Developments Update! - Thu 4:42pm ET/2142 UTC
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 06:52:11 pm »
I dont know if this has been mentioned on the american media machine but it has been reported here in Australia, that his funeral may take place in the chapel of his old school in Perth.......Guildford Grammar school, an excusive private school where Heath spent all his schooling years.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 06:55:39 pm »
We did get the news that his family had arrived to finalize the arrangements for bringing him back to Perth.

I am very relieved that they are doing this - it is not only fitting, but will deny those protestors a chance to make a travesty of his funeral.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 10:25:14 pm »
I'm very glad to read Nicholson clarified his remark about drugs - nka Ambien.

The media is always quick to make someone another victim of the fast living movie industry, living hard, partying hard and dying young.  Gah, Heath would have hated all this.  I hope he will be put to rest peacefully in Perth.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 03:42:12 am »

Friday January 25, 04:10 PM
Ledger's family struggles with loss
Heath Ledger was an "old soul" in a young man's body, his grieving family says.

And his legacy would be his two-year-old daughter Matilda, the 28-year-old actor's family said in a newspaper death notice.

"How do we describe our sudden and tragic loss," the family said of the acclaimed Perth-born actor's death in a New York apartment.

"You were the most amazing 'old soul' in a young man's body.

"As a close knit and very private family we have observed you so determined yet quietly travelling in your self-styled path in life, nothing would get in your way ... no mountain too tall, no river too wide.

"You dreamed your dreams and lived them with passion and intelligent commitment.

"We have been privileged to accompany you on a ride through life that has simply been amazing and through it all we have loved each other beyond imagination."

Ledger's family said his true legacy would be his daughter with actor Michelle Williams, from whom he split last year.

"Our hearts are broken..."

In a separate notice, Ledger's father Kim wrote: "Heatho, Beef ... my beautiful boy, so loving, so talented, so independent ... so no more chess games mate ... this is it, couldn't beat you anyway.

"We were one, in soul and commitment, just ... father and son."

The actor's sister Kate said she could "hardly breathe" as she tried to write her tribute.

"We were the ultimate soul mates," she said.

"You were so many things to so many people, but to me you were just my little brother.

"You will never leave my thoughts, 'Roast', ever."

Ledger's mother Sally Ledger-Bell said the family would always be there for his daughter.

Other family members, friends and Ledger's old school, Guildford Grammar School, also paid tribute to the actor.

His immediate family will attend a memorial service for the actor in the United States, a family friend says.

Perth Model Sophie Ward says the family will fly to Los Angeles for the service, to be held before his body is returned to Perth for burial, The West Australian reports
[/b]

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 04:04:58 am »
Beautiful.  I believe this closeness was real.  Thank you for posting, Sue.

But Sophie Ward needs to shut it.

Offline adamblast

• Don't Say Much
  • That's where our hearts both belong
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 03:35:29 pm »
His immediate family will attend a memorial service for the actor in the United States, a family friend says.

Perth Model Sophie Ward says the family will fly to Los Angeles for the service, to be held before his body is returned to Perth for burial, The West Australian reports

I'm thrilled they're coming to LA for the SoCal Memorial service, but... 

That means they *MAY* have to deal with the Westboro Klan afterall...  I was hoping the family would be spared their ugliness, since they announced they'd only picket in the States...

I'm really anxious that they're going to ruin this and cause lots more pain.  That's their specialty, and they've been at it for 10 years...

"...never enough time, never enough..."
Heath Ledger 1979 - 2008

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 07:32:45 pm »
Warning to sensitive news watchers:

TMZ.com has video of Heath's coffin being moved in New York.  You may come across this in news reports this evening, so if you want to avoid it, it might be best to keep tuned to MSNBC since Anderson Cooper has already stated he will not be doing any news items on Heath this evening, since there is no significant news to report.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

injest

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 09:41:27 pm »
Warning to sensitive news watchers:

TMZ.com has video of Heath's coffin being moved in New York.  You may come across this in news reports this evening, so if you want to avoid it, it might be best to keep tuned to MSNBC since Anderson Cooper has already stated he will not be doing any news items on Heath this evening, since there is no significant news to report.

?

I thought Anderson Cooper was on CNN?

Offline Katie77

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 10:00:45 pm »
For anyone who wants Australian news....im not sure if it works for you overseas, but try this.....www.yahoo.com.au........put the "au" at the end and you should get into the aussie version of yahoo news......there is a whole segment on news of Heath.....

yb

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 10:17:28 pm »
But Sophie Ward needs to shut it.

I agree. 

Offline Katie77

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 10:21:55 pm »
in fairness to Sophie...the media probably approached her...not she them.....

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 10:33:10 pm »
Thank you Katie....that link worked for me here in California.  So much to read.  Why is it that we feel the need to read EVERY single word about our dear Heath??  A need to hold on...for as long as possible??  Perhaps to find something that says....'It's all a mistake....?  Whatever it is.....I find myself almost breathless with sadness.    :'(
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 10:37:06 pm »
glad it worked....wasnt sure if it would.....

injest

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 10:56:16 pm »
20/20 is going to do a piece about Heath...they are going to be at the funeral home it looks like though so just a heads up

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 11:05:47 pm »
Late this afternoon, Heath's body was removed from the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Home and taken to an undisclosed location, probably an airport.  There were no signs of family members at the funeral home.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 02:33:10 pm »
Late this afternoon, Heath's body was removed from the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Home and taken to an undisclosed location, probably an airport.  There were no signs of family members at the funeral home.

I saw pictures of that...and all I could think was 'He's alone, there's no one there (except the paparazzi of course)'. I know it isn't possible for the family to be there, but I just wish that the removing of his body from his apartment and now this could have been done away from the press, so his family could have been there. It feels like he was on display, and that is no way to tread a very private man like Heath Ledger.

And why was he put in such a huge ugly casket wooden box? Is that because he has to be transported by plane? I don't know....maybe this is the way it's done in New York.

It's just very painful to watch. He deserves better.

*sigh* :(
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 02:38:22 pm »
I saw pictures of that...and all I could think was 'He's alone, there's no one there (except the paparazzi of course)'. I know it isn't possible for the family to be there, but I just wish that the removing of his body from his apartment and now this could have been done away from the press, so his family could have been there. It feels like he was on display, and that is no way to tread a very private man like Heath Ledger.

And why was he put in such a huge ugly casket wooden box? Is that because he has to be transported by plane? I don't know....maybe this is the way it's done in New York.

I didn't see this, but you're probably correct.  He has to be - secured - for the trip back home.  He would also be more anonymous that way.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 02:40:10 pm »

I also wondered if its so they can give thr family some privacy about what type of caslet etc they have chosen. But the airpolane thing also makes sense.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 02:46:24 pm »

Just reading about it made me feel horrible. I'm glad I didn't see it.

But imagine the media frenzy had the family been there. I would have felt so badly for them. But now I feel kinda bad for Heath, being alone, with nobody there who loved him, but all those paparazzi.  :(

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 02:50:41 pm »
I didn't see this, but you're probably correct.  He has to be - secured - for the trip back home.  He would also be more anonymous that way.

I understand if that's the case, but my point is if they knew he would be put in the hearse in full glare of the media (which, i my opinion should not have been the way this was handled) why didn't they use a more appropriate coffin and transfer him in a secure one at the airport? That could have been to much to ask, could it?

Or maybe this is all not important.  :-\ I'm just glad he's on his way home, where I hope he and this family will have a bit more privacy... I can only hope.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2008, 02:57:38 pm »
My suspicion, although this is only a guess, is that there was a casket inside the wooden crate. I think it was packed in the crate for shipping.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2008, 02:59:05 pm »
I think it was packed in the crate for shipping.

L

It was horrible...

:'(  :'(  :'(

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2008, 03:15:33 pm »
There is video of the "crate" being transferred on tmz.com.

Warning - might be highly disturbing

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008, 04:48:18 pm »
It was just a transportbox for the flight. It's done that way.
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2008, 07:56:09 pm »
I just posted about 'the crate' in the News section - I wished I hadn't seen that image this morning. It really made it all so final in realizing Heath is really gone. I know he is not in that crate, but just the image and thinking about his poor family having to deal with that too was hard.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2008, 11:58:21 pm »
Thanks Sue for the link. I too want to read everything there is to read about our beloved Heath. I am still devastated, and so is his family, us Brokies, and the world. :'(

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2008, 12:22:16 am »

I sure do agree with you that Heath deserves better and I keep thinking how terrible it is how they have displayed him with him being such a private person. You know he would have absolutely hated that.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2008, 12:27:51 am »
I know tmz.com is just a rumor site but it may be that someone leaked the preliminary Medical Examiner's report which TMZ claims that he may have died of 'natural causes.'  www.tmz.com.  There is also a claim that EMT observation of Heath's body upon their arrival showed rigor mortis consistent with a much earlier time of death, and that the housekeeper could not have heard him snoring - he had to have been dead already, possibly as early as 11 a.m.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2008, 12:33:44 am »
Does "rigor mortis" set in *that* fast?

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2008, 12:47:16 am »
Does "rigor mortis" set in *that* fast?

Not to be morbid, but here is a description of the post-mortem process. Accordingly, it can set in *that* fast or take longer depending on other factors:

What Causes Rigor Mortis?
Chemistry of Muscle Fibers
By Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D., About.com

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/biochemistry/a/aa061903a.htm
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Katie77

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2008, 02:48:44 am »
Not to be morbid, but here is a description of the post-mortem process. Accordingly, it can set in *that* fast or take longer depending on other factors:

Im sorry.....but do we really need to know.....

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2008, 05:10:44 am »
Let's remember that we can skip over reading about the aspects of the situation that don't fit for us.  I don't plan to read that article, but I can see that for some people, processing what has happened could include the need to understand that stuff.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2008, 01:20:20 pm »

Thanks for the info.  I'm one of those people who like to know this kind of thing, so there are no unanswered questions left in my head.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2008, 01:38:04 pm »
Mods, if you want to delete my post about the 'article', please do so - it was not my intent to offend anyone, but to provide a link to factual/scientific info. Facts help me to deal with things, but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea. I took pause before posting the link, but I did want to know why the alleged statements in the TMZ article link louise posted might be true. This has all been so difficult to deal with...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Major Developments Update!
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2008, 01:45:30 pm »
No worries, Chris.  It's pertinent, and of value to some posters, as del just said.  Thanks for the info.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2008, 02:02:54 pm »
No worries, Chris.  It's pertinent, and of value to some posters, as del just said.  Thanks for the info.

Meryl,

Thank you for that.

Chris.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2008, 02:26:22 pm »
As many Brokies as there are -- That's how many different ways we deal with our own grief. What helps me may not help another. And what helps another may not help me. I am thankful for knowing that others are feeling lost along with me at not having Heath as a fellow inhabitant of this world.

{{{{{{{Brokies Worldwide}}}}}}}
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2008, 02:37:50 pm »
As many Brokies as there are -- That's how many different ways we deal with our own grief. What helps me may not help another. And what helps another may not help me. I am thankful for knowing that others are feeling lost along with me at not having Heath as a fellow inhabitant of this world.

{{{{{{{Brokies Worldwide}}}}}}}

Absolutely, Shasta - everything you said. 'Lost' is a good way to describe the emptiness. And, I could neve tire of your beautiful signature photo of Ennis/Heath; it truly brightens and makes me want to smile back.

{{Hugs}}

Offline Ellemeno

Re: Major Developments Update: Last updated 1/27/08
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2008, 02:59:07 pm »
As many Brokies as there are -- That's how many different ways we deal with our own grief.

Beautifully put, Shasta, and I'll even add that with the mercurial nature of grief, for each person there is even more than one way.

For this morning, I'm feeling uplifted by the music and poetry and flowers and art people have been sharing.  Two days ago, I was devouring all the details and facts of the situation that I could, reading long paragraphs for hours.  Last night I got solace from sitting dully with Lynne in a warm bar.

I can tell I need to walk outdoors today in beauty.  I want to go to a particular park that overlooks Puget Sound that I haven't been to in probably three years.  Thank God it doesn't (probably) have wifi, because I think Im ready for a small break from this screen.  But see you soon after.  :-* everyone.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2008, 03:01:40 pm »
Absolutely, Shasta - everything you said. 'Lost' is a good way to describe the emptiness. And, I could neve tire of your beautiful signature photo of Ennis/Heath; it truly brightens and makes me want to smile back.

{{Hugs}}

TY.   :)  {{{{{{{Chris}}}}}}}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2008, 03:03:03 pm »
Beautifully put, Shasta, and I'll even add that with the mercurial nature of grief, for each person there is even more than one way.

For this morning, I'm feeling uplifted by the music and poetry and flowers and art people have been sharing.  Two days ago, I was devouring all the details and facts of the situation that I could, reading long paragraphs for hours.  Last night I got solace from sitting dully with Lynne in a warm bar.

I can tell I need to walk outdoors today in beauty.  I want to go to a particular park that overlooks Puget Sound that I haven't been to in probably three years.  Thank God it doesn't (probably) have wifi, because I think Im ready for a small break from this screen.  But see you soon after.  :-* everyone.

{{{{{{{{{{ELLE}}}}}}}}}}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2008, 03:13:52 pm »
Mods, if you want to delete my post about the 'article', please do so - it was not my intent to offend anyone, but to provide a link to factual/scientific info. Facts help me to deal with things, but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea. I took pause before posting the link, but I did want to know why the alleged statements in the TMZ article link louise posted might be true. This has all been so difficult to deal with...

Chris, as others have already stated, I think it's really ok to post the link. I might have objected, had you quoted things directly in your post. But since you put it as a link, everybody has the choice to click on it or not.

I certainly won't click the link, the word alone make me want to throw up. But people are different. And we are different in the way we try to deal with the fact and our grief.

But I think there's one thing we all need these days:

(((Chris)))

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2008, 03:27:37 pm »
But I think there's one thing we all need these days:
(((Chris)))

Thank you Chrissi - {{Chrissi}}

You're so right, we just can't have enough of those...and thank you ALL for this wonderful forum of support...that alone is a source of comfort.

{{more hugs}}

Chris

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2008, 03:42:39 pm »
Thank you, Chrissi.

{{{{{{{{{{CHRISSI}}}}}}}}}}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{TO ALL BETTERMOSIANS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2008, 09:21:59 am »
Would someone tell me please what the latest developments are with his memorial?  I know his body was being sent to LA , but for a funeral service or what?  I thought they did one in New York, a private one.   I'm caught up with moving here, packing and news on CNN isn't covering much anyone, as far as I can see.  What's up?   ???

Lost in South Korea,
Rayn

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2008, 09:50:29 am »
Hello Rayn,

According to People magazine, there was a very private memorial service held in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills on Saturday evening. It sounds like there was a brief memorial service, followed by a dinner at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Things are hush hush on who attended although Michelle and Matilda left New York on Saturday morning with several bags of luggage. Naomi Watts was seen going into the hotel. Jake Gyllenhaal is also back in LA (he'd been in New Mexico filming the movie "Brothers") so it is likely he attended, too, but no source has confirmed that officially.

Reports have said that it will take two days to return Heath's body to Australia. I am assuming that once he gets there, there will be a funeral, but no details on that have been released.

There is a rumor (unconfirmed) that there will be a public memorial service in LA next week.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2008, 09:54:48 am »
Here's a brief news item about the memorial on Saturday:

Private service held for Heath Ledger

Heath Ledger's body is on its way back to Australia following a private memorial service held in Los Angeles on Saturday.

Ledger's ex-fiancé Michelle Williams and ex-girlfriend Naomi Watts both attended the service at the Pierce Brothers Westwood Village Memorial Park and Mortuary, which was restricted to family and close friends.

Watts, who dated Ledger for two years after meeting him on the set of 'Ned Kelly' in 2002, was reported to be "visibly upset" during the service.

28-year-old Ledger was found dead last Tuesday in his New York apartment. Initial results of an autopsy were inconclusive.

His family insist his death was a tragic accident.

He will be buried in his hometown of Perth, Australia.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0128/ledgerh.html

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2008, 10:15:48 am »
Thanks MaineWriter... as you were answering me, I was answering you on another thread... the one about the SAG...   I went to the link you gave me and from there found this wonderful pic of both Ennis and Heath...
It's hard to accept, but good in a way... hard to accept Heath is gone, but good to know Ennis is with us still.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2008, 11:46:06 am »
Thanks for posting the latest article, Leslie.

Rayn, you can check the first post of this thread for a quick update, too.  I'm trying to keep it current as I hear of specific things that have occurred.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2008, 12:13:48 pm »
Although this is an unconfirmed report, it has been listed as being from the investigation into Heath's cause of death and is now being repeated in other media that he could have died of natural causes due to the low level of toxicity in his blood: in other words, a heart attack or something of that nature.

It sounds strange, but sources intimately connected with the Heath Ledger investigation tell TMZ it's possible the actor died of natural causes.

The reason they think that -- it's now appearing that the level of toxicity (from medication) in Ledger's system was low enough that it may not have caused his death. These sources say Heath's heart stopped. It could have been a heart attack but it's not certain, at least not yet. Although it's bizarre that a 28-year-old could die of natural causes, it happens.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/26/heaths-death-could-be-natural-causes/

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2008, 04:57:32 pm »
Thanks MaineWriter... as you were answering me, I was answering you on another thread... the one about the SAG...   I went to the link you gave me and from there found this wonderful pic of both Ennis and Heath...
It's hard to accept, but good in a way... hard to accept Heath is gone, but good to know Ennis is with us still.

oh! OH OH! Rayn - what site was it - we're looking to find the copyright on this photo.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2008, 05:33:20 pm »
Wasn't sure where to post this but I found this very interesting:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/01/27/entertainment/e200512S50.DTL&tsp=1&type=entertainment

Daniel Day Lewis seems like a cool guy. I'm so glad to know that!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2008, 08:04:30 pm »
These sources say Heath's heart stopped. It could have been a heart attack but it's not certain, at least not yet. Although it's bizarre that a 28-year-old could die of natural causes, it happens.[/b]

That would be very strange indeed. A heart problem causing a death is about the easiest thing to find in a autopsy. surely they looked at his heart. In spite of other news stories day in day out about unexpected deaths in which coroners and pathologist affirmatively claim to  be able to pinpiont the time of death, no one is coming forth with any firm info on this for Heath. If he could be determined to have been alive at 3P, I'll be very, very angry.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2008, 10:11:18 pm »
That would be very strange indeed. A heart problem causing a death is about the easiest thing to find in a autopsy. surely they looked at his heart. In spite of other news stories day in day out about unexpected deaths in which coroners and pathologist affirmatively claim to  be able to pinpiont the time of death, no one is coming forth with any firm info on this for Heath. If he could be determined to have been alive at 3P, I'll be very, very angry.

This is not necessarily true. A reference I found (I have bolded the relevant parts, just to make it easier for those on this site who are not used to reading medical abstracts):

Med J Aust. 2004 Feb 2;180(3):110-2.

Causes of sudden cardiac death in young Australians.

Doolan A, Langlois N, Semsarian C.

Agnes Ginges Centre for Molecular Cardiology, Centenary Institute, Newtown, NSW.

OBJECTIVES: To determine the causes of sudden cardiac death in people aged 35 years or younger. DESIGN AND SETTING: A review of all autopsies erformed between 1 January 1994 and 31 December 2002 at a major Sydney forensic medicine department serving an area with over 2 million people. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Incidence of various types of cardiac disease causing sudden death in those aged <or= 35 years; proportion of deaths in which no cause was found at autopsy.
RESULTS: There were 10 199 autopsies performed during the study period. Of these, 2986 (29.2%) deaths occurred in people aged <or= 35 years; 193 were classified as sudden cardiac deaths. The cause of sudden death in this group was not established in 60 (31%), and was presumed to be due to primary arrhythmogenic disorders. Coronary artery disease occurred in 46 (24%), hypertrophic cardiomyopathy/unexplained left ventricular hypertrophy in 29 (15%), and myocarditis in 23 (12%).
CONCLUSIONS: Unexplained deaths, presumed to result from sudden primary arrhythmogenic causes, occur in young Australians with structurally normal hearts. That underlying disease-causing genetic defects may be involved has clinical implications for family members.

I won't overdo you with studies but I found others that seem to have the same ~30% finding. So there is a very real possibility that Heath died of a lethal cardiac arrhythmia not associated with a structural cardiac abnormality, thus not being seen on autopsy.

L

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2008, 12:12:28 am »
oh! OH OH! Rayn - what site was it - we're looking to find the copyright on this photo.

Hi Kelda... it's from a site out of Dublin, Ireland.     http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0125/ledgerh.html

You can check the terms and conditions on it if you like, but here's what I read before I copied it,

Lawful Use

2. You may not broadcast, copy, download, frame, reproduce, republish, post, transmit or otherwise use RTÉ.ie content appearing on the RTÉ.ie site in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Any other use of such content requires the prior written permission of RTÉ.

So, it seemed fine to copy it since it was for my personal use and Bettermost isn't for commercial use.  Right?

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2008, 12:15:13 am »
Rayn, you can check the first post of this thread for a quick update, too.  I'm trying to keep it current as I hear of specific things that have occurred.  :)

Thanks Meryl.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2008, 12:20:49 am »
From Phillip Dampier

This update:  Sunday night, Jan. 27:  A memorial to Heath is part of the Annual SAG Awards telecast.  Best Actor winner Daniel Day-Lewis pays tribute to Heath and dedicates his award to him.

Good man, that Daniel Day Lewis, and a great actor himself!  I must see this video of him now...   :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2008, 03:06:31 am »
While the security and secrecy surrounding the memorial and funeral arrangements for Heath have been unusually high, they may be completely warranted.  I have found on three different news sites the story of a prank caller posing as Heath's father who placed calls to A-list celebrity friends of Heath to ask for help to get in contact with other celebrities, as well as to learn details of the memorial service.  Several, still in shock from the news of Heath's death, were completely taken in.  Here is the news.com.au story:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,23663,23125197-5015787,00.html

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2008, 10:06:25 am »
I won't overdo you with studies but I found others that seem to have the same ~30% finding. So there is a very real possibility that Heath died of a lethal cardiac arrhythmia not associated with a structural cardiac abnormality, thus not being seen on autopsy.

L

Can't drug interactions cause cardiac arrest, too?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2008, 10:54:41 am »
Can't drug interactions cause cardiac arrest, too?

Yes. And not just drug interactions, but certain classes of drugs, including antiarrhythmics, gastrokinetics, antipsychotics, antihistamines and antibacterials.  In the interview with Christopher Plummer, he said he thought Heath had "walking pneumonia." I wonder if he was being treated for that with an antibiotic?

L

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2008, 12:31:38 pm »
Yes. And not just drug interactions, but certain classes of drugs, including antiarrhythmics, gastrokinetics, antipsychotics, antihistamines and antibacterials.  In the interview with Christopher Plummer, he said he thought Heath had "walking pneumonia." I wonder if he was being treated for that with an antibiotic?

L
That's one of the first questions I asked... I've had walking pneumonia twice, and the antibiotics are crazy-strong. My immediate question was if he was taking them along with something like Ambien (which he had been known to take more than one of), because those two things would be a tough combination for a tired body and compromised lungs. I was shocked not to hear antibiotics not listed among the medications found, then I heard a report that yes, there were antibiotics found which had been prescribed in Europe. So he probably did have walking pneumonia, because antibiotics are not likely to have been prescribed for flu. But all we can do is wait for the toxicology report.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2008, 01:08:50 pm »

L

Thanks, Leslie.

Um ... confession, here. I was being slightly disingenuous in asking. I've known people who died from cardiac arrest caused by drug-drug interactions.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2008, 04:19:48 pm »
This is not necessarily true. A reference I found (I have bolded the relevant parts, just to make it easier for those on this site who are not used to reading medical abstracts):

Med J Aust. 2004 Feb 2;180(3):110-2.

Causes of sudden cardiac death in young Australians.

Doolan A, Langlois N, Semsarian C.

Agnes Ginges Centre for Molecular Cardiology, Centenary Institute, Newtown, NSW.

OBJECTIVES: To determine the causes of sudden cardiac death in people aged 35 years or younger. DESIGN AND SETTING: A review of all autopsies erformed between 1 January 1994 and 31 December 2002 at a major Sydney forensic medicine department serving an area with over 2 million people. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Incidence of various types of cardiac disease causing sudden death in those aged <or= 35 years; proportion of deaths in which no cause was found at autopsy.
RESULTS: There were 10 199 autopsies performed during the study period. Of these, 2986 (29.2%) deaths occurred in people aged <or= 35 years; 193 were classified as sudden cardiac deaths. The cause of sudden death in this group was not established in 60 (31%), and was presumed to be due to primary arrhythmogenic disorders. Coronary artery disease occurred in 46 (24%), hypertrophic cardiomyopathy/unexplained left ventricular hypertrophy in 29 (15%), and myocarditis in 23 (12%).
CONCLUSIONS: Unexplained deaths, presumed to result from sudden primary arrhythmogenic causes, occur in young Australians with structurally normal hearts. That underlying disease-causing genetic defects may be involved has clinical implications for family members.

L

Arrhythmogenic disease is not as easily found as a more standard "heart attack" but it is determinable via autopsy if the heart is examined closely. No question.

however, the initial flurry of media-based diagnoses and police reports promoting a drug related death may have caused the patholigist to not look as closely and deeply as he should have. And who knows who does the posts for a DOAs in a morgue like NYC? Perhaps not the best. It was performed much faster than had origianlly been forecast and the inconclusive findings, followed by the immediate release of Heath to the funeral home, may result in unaswered questions forever.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2008, 06:43:07 pm »
A much kinder-worded article about Heath seeking to reconcile with Michelle.  It could all be speculation and "sources" but it is somewhat easier to read than lapdancers snorting coke at hotels.

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272618556.shtml

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2008, 06:54:31 pm »
Yikes, Louise... even that sentence was hard to read!  :P

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2008, 09:03:53 pm »
I just finished watching "The Insider" and "Entertainment Tonight," and they're busily digging up any dirt they can on Heath's partying and drug use.  They described a cocaine party he went to at the Chateau Marmont after the SAG Awards two years ago, of which there is supposedly a video.  They also implied that Michelle wanted him to get tested for drugs before letting him see Matilda.  They promised for tomorrow some sort of theory on what caused his death and were eagerly anticipating the toxicology results.  So distasteful and ugly!  It makes me so sad for his family.  :(  :(  :(

Another thing of interest: they showed a picture of Heath's father supposedly taken today at the airport, saying he was back to talk to officials about the inquest.  I thought he was on his way to Australia yesterday.  They said that the funeral was expected to be Thursday or Friday in Perth.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2008, 09:13:22 pm »

Yeah, Meryl, reports like that really are infuriating and just so disrespectful.

I saw on E!News tonight that Heath's Dad was in NYC today, which is causing some confusion (according to E!) about the timing of Heath's funeral.  I really have no idea what's reliable and what's not at this point. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2008, 09:18:25 pm »
I'm not surprised, though certainly saddened. This follows the anticipated cycle, it's the yin/yang of tabloidism: If news coverage has been respectful and decent and have been mainly including grief, tributes and accolades for a couple of days (which it has been now, with DD_L's comments and various other stories, obituaries and lovley "in memoriam" articles) - then it's time to tear the icon down and dig up some dirt. Though it's especially distasteful that they can't even wait till he's been buried. Bastards.  >:(

The fact that I've been so much expecting the sleaze makes it easier to take, in a way. Though barely so, as I admit I threw a tantrum over some similar stupid story in another thread.  ::)

I suppose it's safe to assume the truth - as always - lies somewhere inbetween the total glorification and the crass vilifying. But we'll  never know where, and I wish the "news" would leave well enough alone. It doesn't matter to the world at large what Heath did in his private life. Nobody's business but his and his immediate family's and friends'.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2008, 02:02:42 am »
Heath's father was at 421 Broome St. today, apparently.  I forget where I just read it.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2008, 02:18:56 am »
Theresa, who is the former admin of Heath Ledger Central, and became a personal friend of Heath's, posted today that funeral arrangements have been made, but that since the family has not announced them, she could not share the details.

If you are interested to see a comprehensive set of selected news reports and tributes that Theresa is assembling, it is frequently updated and excellent.

http://heathledgermemorialblog.blogspot.com/

and yes, multiple news sources in New York reported that Kim Ledger went to Heath's SoHo apartment, and one of them mentioned that he is waiting in New York to meet with the medical examiner.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2008, 08:15:57 am »
Heath's father was at 421 Broome St. today, apparently.  I forget where I just read it.

It was first reported in the New York Daily News.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2008, 08:17:45 am »
Theresa, who is the former admin of Heath Ledger Central, and became a personal friend of Heath's, posted today that funeral arrangements have been made, but that since the family has not announced them, she could not share the details.

If she knows the details, but can't share them, then why is she posting that she knows the details, but can't share them? Just shut up already!

Jeeesh.

(Anger phase of grieving returning...)

L

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2008, 08:26:30 am »
If she knows the details, but can't share them, then why is she posting that she knows the details, but can't share them? Just shut up already!

Jeeesh.

L

That's what I was thinking  :-\  I must still be angry too.  :-X
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2008, 10:02:59 am »
I caught the tail end of a report on the Today show this morning that some lout with a vague accent of some sort was passing himself off as Kim Ledger in New York.

Now, where did I leave my whip?   >:(

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2008, 10:19:00 am »
I just posted something here that I realized belongs in the "News Items" thread, so have moved it. Sorry.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2008, 11:11:25 am »

Jeeesh.

L

Agreed!

You know, as I've said before Heath's death is a non-event in the press over here *shakes head in disbelief*. But come to think of it, it means that we're not constantly bombarded with so called 'sources' and the shameful press coverage. Maybe a blessing in disguise.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Major Developments Update: Last updated 1/30/08
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2008, 01:29:23 pm »
I had posted this over at the flowers/condolences thread because of the names of the funeral homes mentioned

http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.aspx?StoryName=455475

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Major Developments Update: Last updated 2/1/08
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2008, 08:09:47 am »
I caught the tail end of a report on the Today show this morning that some lout with a vague accent of some sort was passing himself off as Kim Ledger in New York.

Now, where did I leave my whip?   >:(

http://www.theage.com.au/news/people/hoax-ledger-caller-traced-to-the-uk/2008/02/03/1201973720766.html

Hoax Ledger caller traced to the UK

February 3, 2008 - 11:47AM

excerpt:

A hoax caller who reportedly tried to swindle cash out of Hollywood stars by posing as Australian actor Heath Ledger's grieving father has been traced to the United Kingdom.

Reports in the UK say New York Police have traced the con-artist to the seaside town of Scarborough in northeastern England.

The conman phoned Tom Cruise asking for emotional support and tried to convince John Travolta to pay for his air fare from Australia to the United States, earlier reports said.

The man began pulling the stunt just hours after 28-year-old Ledger died in his Manhattan apartment and also contacted Mel Gibson, Halle Berry and Christian Bale.

US police sources told the UK's The Sun newspaper that two numbers - a landline and mobile - had been tracked down to a dingy block of bedsit flats in the Yorkshire seaside resort of Scarborough.

The mobile was said to be registered to a 35-year-old local man.

A police source told the newspaper: "How would a nobody in that flat have the numbers of two of the world's biggest film stars?

"Investigators are also asking what was his motive. It's bizarre.

"All roads currently lead to this man. And he may soon get a knock at his door."

New York police are leading the inquiry but North Yorkshire detectives may be drafted in, The Sun said.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40