Author Topic: Major Developments Update: Last updated 2/8/08  (Read 32712 times)

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Major Developments Update: Last updated 1/27/08
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2008, 08:04:30 pm »
These sources say Heath's heart stopped. It could have been a heart attack but it's not certain, at least not yet. Although it's bizarre that a 28-year-old could die of natural causes, it happens.[/b]

That would be very strange indeed. A heart problem causing a death is about the easiest thing to find in a autopsy. surely they looked at his heart. In spite of other news stories day in day out about unexpected deaths in which coroners and pathologist affirmatively claim to  be able to pinpiont the time of death, no one is coming forth with any firm info on this for Heath. If he could be determined to have been alive at 3P, I'll be very, very angry.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2008, 10:11:18 pm »
That would be very strange indeed. A heart problem causing a death is about the easiest thing to find in a autopsy. surely they looked at his heart. In spite of other news stories day in day out about unexpected deaths in which coroners and pathologist affirmatively claim to  be able to pinpiont the time of death, no one is coming forth with any firm info on this for Heath. If he could be determined to have been alive at 3P, I'll be very, very angry.

This is not necessarily true. A reference I found (I have bolded the relevant parts, just to make it easier for those on this site who are not used to reading medical abstracts):

Med J Aust. 2004 Feb 2;180(3):110-2.

Causes of sudden cardiac death in young Australians.

Doolan A, Langlois N, Semsarian C.

Agnes Ginges Centre for Molecular Cardiology, Centenary Institute, Newtown, NSW.

OBJECTIVES: To determine the causes of sudden cardiac death in people aged 35 years or younger. DESIGN AND SETTING: A review of all autopsies erformed between 1 January 1994 and 31 December 2002 at a major Sydney forensic medicine department serving an area with over 2 million people. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Incidence of various types of cardiac disease causing sudden death in those aged <or= 35 years; proportion of deaths in which no cause was found at autopsy.
RESULTS: There were 10 199 autopsies performed during the study period. Of these, 2986 (29.2%) deaths occurred in people aged <or= 35 years; 193 were classified as sudden cardiac deaths. The cause of sudden death in this group was not established in 60 (31%), and was presumed to be due to primary arrhythmogenic disorders. Coronary artery disease occurred in 46 (24%), hypertrophic cardiomyopathy/unexplained left ventricular hypertrophy in 29 (15%), and myocarditis in 23 (12%).
CONCLUSIONS: Unexplained deaths, presumed to result from sudden primary arrhythmogenic causes, occur in young Australians with structurally normal hearts. That underlying disease-causing genetic defects may be involved has clinical implications for family members.

I won't overdo you with studies but I found others that seem to have the same ~30% finding. So there is a very real possibility that Heath died of a lethal cardiac arrhythmia not associated with a structural cardiac abnormality, thus not being seen on autopsy.

L

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2008, 12:12:28 am »
oh! OH OH! Rayn - what site was it - we're looking to find the copyright on this photo.

Hi Kelda... it's from a site out of Dublin, Ireland.     http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0125/ledgerh.html

You can check the terms and conditions on it if you like, but here's what I read before I copied it,

Lawful Use

2. You may not broadcast, copy, download, frame, reproduce, republish, post, transmit or otherwise use RTÉ.ie content appearing on the RTÉ.ie site in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Any other use of such content requires the prior written permission of RTÉ.

So, it seemed fine to copy it since it was for my personal use and Bettermost isn't for commercial use.  Right?

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2008, 12:15:13 am »
Rayn, you can check the first post of this thread for a quick update, too.  I'm trying to keep it current as I hear of specific things that have occurred.  :)

Thanks Meryl.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2008, 12:20:49 am »
From Phillip Dampier

This update:  Sunday night, Jan. 27:  A memorial to Heath is part of the Annual SAG Awards telecast.  Best Actor winner Daniel Day-Lewis pays tribute to Heath and dedicates his award to him.

Good man, that Daniel Day Lewis, and a great actor himself!  I must see this video of him now...   :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2008, 03:06:31 am »
While the security and secrecy surrounding the memorial and funeral arrangements for Heath have been unusually high, they may be completely warranted.  I have found on three different news sites the story of a prank caller posing as Heath's father who placed calls to A-list celebrity friends of Heath to ask for help to get in contact with other celebrities, as well as to learn details of the memorial service.  Several, still in shock from the news of Heath's death, were completely taken in.  Here is the news.com.au story:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,23663,23125197-5015787,00.html

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2008, 10:06:25 am »
I won't overdo you with studies but I found others that seem to have the same ~30% finding. So there is a very real possibility that Heath died of a lethal cardiac arrhythmia not associated with a structural cardiac abnormality, thus not being seen on autopsy.

L

Can't drug interactions cause cardiac arrest, too?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2008, 10:54:41 am »
Can't drug interactions cause cardiac arrest, too?

Yes. And not just drug interactions, but certain classes of drugs, including antiarrhythmics, gastrokinetics, antipsychotics, antihistamines and antibacterials.  In the interview with Christopher Plummer, he said he thought Heath had "walking pneumonia." I wonder if he was being treated for that with an antibiotic?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2008, 12:31:38 pm »
Yes. And not just drug interactions, but certain classes of drugs, including antiarrhythmics, gastrokinetics, antipsychotics, antihistamines and antibacterials.  In the interview with Christopher Plummer, he said he thought Heath had "walking pneumonia." I wonder if he was being treated for that with an antibiotic?

L
That's one of the first questions I asked... I've had walking pneumonia twice, and the antibiotics are crazy-strong. My immediate question was if he was taking them along with something like Ambien (which he had been known to take more than one of), because those two things would be a tough combination for a tired body and compromised lungs. I was shocked not to hear antibiotics not listed among the medications found, then I heard a report that yes, there were antibiotics found which had been prescribed in Europe. So he probably did have walking pneumonia, because antibiotics are not likely to have been prescribed for flu. But all we can do is wait for the toxicology report.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2008, 01:08:50 pm »

L

Thanks, Leslie.

Um ... confession, here. I was being slightly disingenuous in asking. I've known people who died from cardiac arrest caused by drug-drug interactions.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.