Author Topic: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...  (Read 380746 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2008, 08:00:19 pm »
yb thank you so much for posting this really eloquent remembrance by Christopher Nolan.  So, beautifully written.

:-* :'(

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2008, 10:37:57 pm »
Just watched the SAG awards

The In Memoriam list used the music from the Brokeback Trailer (So Was Red from Shawshank Redemption)

Heath's pic as Ennis by the stream seemed to be added later
in silence
I think it was beautiful.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2008, 11:45:53 pm »
apologies if this is a repeat, but from Todd Haynes,

"Director Todd Haynes, who befriended and worked closely with Ledger on I'm Not There, also remembered the actor, adding that the past few days have been difficult.

"[Heath] was so special and so extraordinary and a really deep, amazing guy," Haynes said. "It's hard putting this in the past tense. I know everyone, even those who never knew or met him, is finding this really, really hard."

http://heathledgermemorialblog.blogspot.com/
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2008, 02:03:33 am »

"It's hard putting this in the past tense. I know everyone, even those who never knew or met him, is finding this really, really hard."

That's exactly it--
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2008, 02:18:09 am »

"Back on LaSalle Street, I turn to my assistant director and I tell him to clear the skateboarding kid out of my line of sight when I realize—it's Heath, woolly hat pulled low over his eyes, here on his night off to take me up on my offer. I can't help but smile."

Beautiful.

Thank You.

"Camping Out"

mvansand76

« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2008, 12:16:22 pm »
That was such a beautiful piece of writing by Nolan, I left a message in the comments field.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2008, 01:27:39 pm »
yb, thanks for that Christopher Nolan article.  I also noticed a link on that blog to this article about Allan Shiach, the Scottish screenwriter and producer who was working with Heath on "The Queen's Gambit."

Saturday, January 26, 2008

'My friend Heath would never commit suicide'

By Brian Pendreigh
SOURCE: Scotsman.com News

TRAGIC Hollywood star Heath Ledger was working with a veteran Scottish screenwriter and producer on what was to be his debut as a film director, it emerged last night.

Allan Shiach, who has a string of hit movies to his name, was due to meet Ledger tomorrow to finalise preparations for The Queen's Gambit, a high-tension drama about a delinquent teenage girl who turns out to be a chess prodigy.

Shiach told Scotland on Sunday he was in e-mail contact with Ledger just days before his death, some of the conversations taking place with the insomniac actor at 5am New York time.

But Shiach dismissed suggestions Ledger may have committed suicide following the break-up of his relationship with actress Michelle Williams.

"He was enthusiastic about getting to the next stage. I can't imagine that it was anything other than accidental," said Shiach, who co-wrote the classic thriller Don't Look Now, with Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland, and was executive producer of Shallow Grave, the black comedy that launched Ewan McGregor's film career.

Ledger, the star of Brokeback Mountain, A Knight's Tale, The Patriot and the forthcoming Batman movie The Dark Knight, was found dead in his New York apartment last Tuesday. The likeliest cause seems to be an overdose of sleeping pills or similar prescription-type drugs, though there have been reports of recreational narcotics.

"He had been clean of drugs for years and years," Shiach insisted. "When I heard he was dead I assumed it was an accident. I still must assume it was an accident. I know he slept short nights, because he used to correspond with me till five in the morning, New York time."

Shiach admitted the 28-year-old Australian star had been hit hard emotionally by his split from partner Williams, with whom he starred in Brokeback Mountain, and by being away from their two-year-old daughter Matilda.

"I watched him two or three times with the kid when I went to his house in New York. He was devoted to that child and would travel back and forth just to see the kid."

But Shiach added that Ledger was making practical plans right up to the day he died about The Queen's Gambit and other matters.

"I spoke to him last week about the schedule and the budget and we were to meet this coming week, on Monday and Tuesday in London. We were down to casting details and things."

Ledger was going to act in the film, as well as direct it. They had offered the lead role to Ellen Page, the Oscar-nominated new star of the comedy Juno. They were waiting for her to confirm acceptance and were planning to shoot in North America and Russia this year.

Shiach, who works in the movie business under the name Allan Scott, revealed Ledger had also set himself a personal goal. "One of his reasons for being interested in The Queen's Gambit was the fact that he was a very, very advanced chess player. He was in fact very close to grandmaster and he said to me he thought he would try and go for grandmaster before we started shooting the movie."

The Queen's Gambit is based on a novel by Walter Tevis, whose other works include The Hustler, The Color Of Money and The Man Who Fell To Earth, all of which have been filmed.

Its central character is Beth Harmon, who grows up in a Kentucky orphanage, where the children are given tranquillisers to keep them quiet.

She learns to play chess with the janitor. She proves a teenage phenomenon, but has become addicted to drugs and is also a habitual thief.

Shiach has had the film rights to The Queen's Gambit for 20 years and wrote the screenplay. At various stages actress Molly Ringwald and the late Italian film director Bernardo Bertolucci were involved.

Ledger, who made his Hollywood debut in 10 Things I Hate About You in 1999, persuaded Shiach to let him direct on the strength of music videos and commercials he had directed. "We worked for about a week in New York and then we worked briefly in LA and then we worked quite a lot in London, because he was in London a lot last year, with Batman as well as the Terry Gilliam film."

Ledger had completed filming the new Batman film, in which he presents a dark new vision of The Joker, and was in the middle of shooting The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus with Gilliam. Production on the latter has been shut down and may be abandoned.

"At the minute, frankly, I am still recovering from the shock and sadness of his death," Shiach said. "He was a lovely and modest and decent and nice man, and how sad it is that we have lost the immense potential that he had. I think he was extraordinary, because he was a very, very thoughtful person."

http://heathledgermemorialblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/my-friend-heath-would-never-commit.html
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2008, 02:04:26 pm »
There's a column in the newspaper I read today by Oscar Van Den Boogaard, a writer who lives in Brussels. The whole article was about the media circus that immediately started as news of Heath Ledger's death emerged. He was watching CNN at the time and couldn't believe all the 'theories' that started flying around, before anyone knew anything (suicide because he didn't get an Oscar nomination, because he was depressed, he was out of control..).
He added that, according to Hollywood insiders, The Dark Knight's release would now get even more media attention because of the morbid curiosity of an audience that wants to see Ledger at work for the last time, or in many cases, for the first time.

But to him Heath Ledger would always remain the man who told Hollywood that kissing another man is just kissing another human being.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2008, 05:21:42 pm »
Thanks yb and meryl both lovely articles
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2008, 06:34:58 pm »

"At the minute, frankly, I am still recovering from the shock and sadness of his death," Shiach said. "He was a lovely and modest and decent and nice man, and how sad it is that we have lost the immense potential that he had. I think he was extraordinary, because he was a very, very thoughtful person."

Again, beautiful.

(Also, it's lovely to know that people of such quality loved and respected Heath--)

"Camping Out"