Author Topic: Visit to 421 Broome Street Today  (Read 235469 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: Visit to 421 Broome Street Today
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2008, 07:11:28 am »
John, thank you for these updated photos.  Yes indeed, I'm definitely crying now.  I would be a complete mess if I was there in person, I just know it.  But, I would like to go there someday.   Maybe next time I'm in NYC I'll make a point of going there.  Even if it's long after the flowers and memorials are taken away.
 :'(

I wonder what will happen with all the cards, letters and things that are non-perishable.  I wonder who's collecting them.

I should imagine, that they will all be given to Heaths, family for them to read and reflect on. Any news of poor Jake atall yet?
((((((((((((((((Jake))))))))))))))))   :'( :'( :'(

Offline Sharon

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2008, 08:05:49 am »
Thank you for the Broome Street Update John.
To see the photos means a lot to me!

John, thank you for these updated photos.  Yes indeed, I'm definitely crying now.  I would be a complete mess if I was there in person, I just know it.  But, I would like to go there someday.   Maybe next time I'm in NYC I'll make a point of going there.  Even if it's long after the flowers and memorials are taken away.
 :'(

I wonder what will happen with all the cards, letters and things that are non-perishable.  I wonder who's collecting them.

I asked myself the same!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2008, 09:48:46 am »
Thank you Meryl and John! :-*

:'( :'( :'(

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2008, 04:01:19 pm »
421 Broome Street, Sunday, January 27, 2008, 1:30 PM

All the flowers, plaqards, flags, votives, and (most especially) letters from yesterday have been removed.

A new, very small memorial has started this morning. These are the new offerings below.

421 Broome Street, January 27, 2008

Heart

In Memory of a Fallen Knight

We Will Miss You, Heath (Teleboards)

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008

This Is An Extremely Hard Letter To Write

Flowerspray and Standpipe

With Deepest Sympathy

Pink and Blue

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2008, 04:07:12 pm »
jmmgallagher--thank you from the bottom of my heart for going and taking pictures of the memorials for Heath. Brokies want to see them, but we can't  all be there. Your posts are so comforting to me. I appreciate you for doing this for us. It means so much.

{{{{{{{{{{jmmgallagher}}}}}}}}}}
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2008, 04:14:38 pm »
jmmgallagher--thank you from the bottom of my heart for going and taking pictures of the memorials for Heath. Brokies want to see them, but we can't  all be there. Your posts are so comforting to me. I appreciate you for doing this for us. It means so much.

{{{{{{{{{{jmmgallagher}}}}}}}}}}

I'll second that. Thank you so much John.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2008, 04:19:06 pm »
What belbbmfan said.
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2008, 04:21:15 pm »
Hi {{John}}

Thanks for the continuing reports on this.  I wonder where the card went... the one you and Meryl left.  I'm sure someone saved it (I hope!).  But, I wonder who.

It's hard to imagine that a time will come, probably shortly, when there are no more flowers/ memorial items there. 
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Should BetterMost place something there again?  I feel like something should be there at least until his official funeral.  :(

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2008, 01:30:41 am »
I paid a visit to 451 Broome Street early Sunday morning.  It was still dark, cold, and tiny specks of ice were sporadically falling from the sky.  The area was pretty deserted, which made it kinda of scary.  The brazen rat who raced me along the sidewalk didn't make me feel anymore comfortable. 

There were several blocks between the subway station and the building.  I started off going in the wrong direction and wound up on Broadway.  I recognized that strip, that area.  When I realized I was going the wrong way, I turned around. 

It was interesting to see the neighborhood.  I noticed several nice boutiques, a Bloomingdales, the standard bodegas, a gas station, parking garages, a tobacco shop, and a bingo parlor, the stones used to pave the streets.  I think I saw the Starbucks where Meryl and John met.  It's rather large and seemed to be one of the few signs of activity at that time of the morning.  I remembered staying at a hotel on Broome Street one night several years back when I was having roommate troubles.  Very interesting neighborhood.  Smaller and more villagey than the image of New York City as a place of highrises, bright lights, and 24/7 hustle and bustle.  It struck me as cool that Heath and I were sometimes only a half hour away from each other. 

When I got to the building, the only sign of the previous week's events were police barricades in the street.  All of the memorials and tributes had been removed.  I had to double check my directions to make sure I was in the right place.  The building looks nice.  There's a big door with a big window and a pretty purple, tie-died scarf with fringe hanging over the inside of the window.  I looked up at each floor, and I wondered if the building had an elevator and roof access. 

I didn't stay long.  There didn't seem to be a point, and, as I've mentioned before, I didn't want to be thought of as a morbid gawker.  I headed back, turned around for another look at the building after I'd crossed the street. 

I can't say that I really felt anything.  Maybe I was just tired, physically and emotionally.  I felt more the times I walked past Michelle's place.  Even though Heath hadn't lived there for several months, it seemed more like his home to me.  I read somewhere that his Manhattan apartment didn't have much furniture and that his bed was a mattress on the floor.  Very bohemian.  I slept like that in my previous apartment for a couple of years. 

I walked by Michelle's tonight on my way to do laundry.  The memorials and tributes have been tidied up (I didn't do it this time.).  Some, like the poster from the school next door, are gone.  Don't know what happened to any of them at either place.  A candle was still burning. 

If anyone is interested, there was an interesting article about 421 Broome Street in the Sunday Daily News, http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/01/27/2008-01-27_ledgers_building_no_stranger_to_drama-3.html
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 02:58:17 am by smellykellyjay »
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2008, 02:23:07 am »
I just want to add my thanks and appreciation for the wonderful pictures and descriptions, John, Meryl, and Kelly. It's really nice for those of us who can't be there.  :-*