Author Topic: Visit to 421 Broome Street Today  (Read 235607 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Visit to 421 Broome Street Today
« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2008, 05:58:26 pm »
421 Broome Street, Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 1:00 PM

For the second time, the Heath Ledger Memorial at 421 Broome Street has been removed.

There is a very large moving truck (as we say in New York--the Brits would say 'removing van') out front. The truck is probably here for the use of Aero, an antiques/furniture/lighting/design store in the ground floor of the building.

I will continue to make periodic trips to see if the Memorial will begin a third time at 421 Broome, and I will let you all know.

421 Broome Street, January 30, 2008

Moving Truck

The Door

Please Call

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Sharon

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2008, 06:07:53 pm »
Thank you for the update again - John.
I really appreciate it!

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2008, 06:08:58 pm »
Is it known who has removed the previous tributes? And whether they've kept the cards and tributes to pass on to Heath's family? I was hoping for that.

Thanks so much for once more making the trip there, John, and taking us with you. :)  Looks like the weather is lovely, a perfect day. But perhaps it's cold...?

Offline cornflake2912

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2008, 06:15:23 pm »
I´d really like to know what they do with all the letters and cards.
They have to remove it over night. I left the place on saturday at 1 a.m. and came back at 4.30 a.m. (because of the jetlag!) and the flowers and everything else was already removed!

mvansand76

« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2008, 06:17:42 pm »
I´d really like to know what they do with all the letters and cards.
They have to remove it over night. I left the place on saturday at 1 a.m. and came back at 4.30 a.m. (because of the jetlag!) and the flowers and everything else was already removed!

Hey Cornflake! Welcome on Bettermost! Happy to have you here...  :-*

Please make sure to post your beautiful pics here!

Offline cornflake2912

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2008, 06:24:39 pm »
I love this one...

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2008, 06:35:39 pm »
Mikaela, it is as sunny as you say, and quite warm today, nearly 50 degrees fahrenheit. (Last Friday, though, when Heath was taken away from the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Home, it was brilliantly sunny, but it was so cold that it was nearly impossible to take my hand out of my pocket or glove fast enough to hit the button to take a photograph and then dive in again--it was brutal !!)

I love Cornflake's posted photo--it's a new one to me, the offerings shown are quite extravagant, and they must have been up for only a few hours before they were removed. Sad! I must visit between 1am and 4am to see the real deal, I suppose!

So: I am making my own photographic Memorial here.

Apropos of nothing (or everything--Meryl likes my circles and circles notion--)

Somehow, I had liked one of the offerings added to the Memorial on Sunday, January 27, simple and flimsy as it was, and sadly, it has now been taken away. The title itself seemed to have a lot of resonance for me:

In Memory of a Fallen Knight

In any case. Many of you know about the newspaper article (with the admittedly awful title) 'In SoHo, Heath Ledger was scruffy loner'  and that Heath had often had breakfast in one of the places mentioned, Grotta Azzurra on the corner of Mulberry and Broome Streets.

Well, while looking at the restaurant, I saw this next image diagonally across Broome, and suddenly I thought, my goodness, the Fallen Knight:

Tympanum (The Fallen)

For more context, I share the added images of this church at 378 Broome Street, between Mulberry and Mott Streets, where Heath lived (and died) three blocks away:

The Chapel of San Lorenzo Ruiz

Tympanum and Gilded Figure (San Lorenzo Ruiz)

Gilded Figure and Sign

That's it. I'll send more photos soon.

xxx
John

'In SoHo, Heath Ledger was scruffy loner'
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/01/24/2008-01-24_in_soho_heath_ledger_was_scruffy_loner.html

Grotta Azzurra

(The Chapel of San Lorenzo Ruiz is at the left in this photograph--Heath would have easily seen it from the restaurant.)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 04:09:21 am by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline cornflake2912

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2008, 06:42:30 pm »
Yeah! You should wait there and collect the items in case they are going to trash them :( :( I screamed when I saw that they have removed everything on Sunday!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2008, 07:32:08 pm »
Is it known who has removed the previous tributes? And whether they've kept the cards and tributes to pass on to Heath's family? I was hoping for that.

This is in the news accounts of Heath's father's visit to the building:

The New York Post's PageSix.com said building superintendent Tamba Mossa took [Kim] Ledger to a small memorial in the garden and basement.

When he saw the memorial, made by other residents of the apartment block, he stopped, seemed happy, and said: "It's beautiful."

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1564708

Seems like if someone actually wanted to collect these for posterity, rather than have them thrown away, that would be very legitimate.   We have the building superintendent's name and phone number.

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2008, 01:28:49 am »
Welcome Cornflake and thank you John so much for all your wonderful photos!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{John}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?