Author Topic: Visit to 421 Broome Street Today  (Read 235529 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Visit to 421 Broome Street Today
« Reply #270 on: April 05, 2009, 10:46:46 pm »
Here's another thing people might find very interesting--

One of the (infamous) places that Heath frequented (even in his last week) was the Beatrice Inn, owned by Paul Sevigny, Chloë's brother--

Interesting!  How in the world did you find that video?

I've always thought that the outside of Beatrice Inn looked awfully innocuous and unclubby, and the inside seems the same way.  It's kind of quaint, even, with the fireplace and the wall sconces.  I wonder if every once in awhile a nice middle-aged tourist couple wanders in there for dinner and exits quickly after seeing the clientele.  :laugh:
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #271 on: April 05, 2009, 11:02:53 pm »
I went last weekend to celebrate a variety of birthdays...  it was late, and therefore dark, but still lovely.  I had potato and leek soup (very yummy) and also oysters (also good). 

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but it's a cash only place...

Hey BelAir, if you live in the New York area, we'd love to meet you!  Can you come to the big Brokie dinner in Manhattan on May 9?  8)

Check it out here, if you haven't seen the thread:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,32696.msg488657.html#msg488657
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2009, 11:01:48 am »
Hey BelAir, if you live in the New York area, we'd love to meet you!  Can you come to the big Brokie dinner in Manhattan on May 9?  8)

Check it out here, if you haven't seen the thread:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,32696.msg488657.html#msg488657

Yes!  BelAir it would be great if you could join us! 8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2009, 11:50:04 pm »

Interesting!  How in the world did you find that video?

Re finding the video, well, long story. I'll tell you again later. Not mysterious, just semi-tedious--but I did meet Rory Guinness. Very polite chap!

I've always thought that the outside of Beatrice Inn looked awfully innocuous and unclubby, and the inside seems the same way.  It's kind of quaint, even, with the fireplace and the wall sconces.  I wonder if every once in awhile a nice middle-aged tourist couple wanders in there for dinner and exits quickly after seeing the clientele.  :laugh:

Good Grief! Look at this in today's New York Magazine site!
(Gosh, Meryl--and just as we were going to go to 'Beatrice'!  ::) )

http://nymag.com/daily/food/2009/04/beatrice_inns_shuttering_leave.html

Beatrice Inn’s Shuttering
Leaves Hipsters Temporarily Homeless

By: Daniel Maurer
4/6/09 at 6:50 PM

Nightlifers were in a tizzy today because the Beatrice Inn was shut down over the weekend. The Observer  unearthed a Buildings Department report indicating the closing was due to overcrowding, and others revealing that the owners owe the city $23,000 in fines. Paul Sevigny won’t address rumors of busted celebrity noses and underage drinking, but tells Steve Lewis that a “free Bea” party is in the works. (We also hear Sevigny is D.J.-ing Lewis’s anniversary party at Greenhouse this week.) Of the regulars, Sevigny says, “the place was their living room and it’s basically like locking them out of their apartments.” Sniff. (We mean “sniff” in a sad way, not in the other way.)

http://www.observer.com/2009/daily-transom/popular-beatrice-inn-too-populated

Popular Beatrice Inn Too Populated

By Chris Shott
April 6, 2009 | 12:34 p.m

Downtown's ever popular Beatrice Inn was apparently too popular on Friday, April 3.

The city's Department of Buildings shuttered the subterranean celebrity hangout at 285 West 12th Street in the wee hours of the morning after counting 163 patrons inside the roughly 2,000-square-foot space, according to the agency's Web site.

That's 38 bodies over the legal capacity.

An inspector also noted an inadequate number of exits.

In addition to the overcrowded conditions, proprietors Matt Abramcyk and Paul Sevigny also owe some $23,000 in fines for various construction violations, city records show.

The venue has racked up four stop-work orders since October 2007.

Mr. Sevigny has told BlackBook  columnist Steve Lewis to expect a “Free the Beatrice” party this coming Thursday or Friday at an undisclosed location.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #274 on: April 07, 2009, 05:57:47 am »
I love going on Heath lunches with you, John and Meryl.  Thank you for including us.  Why in the world were yours the only flowers at 421 Broome?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #275 on: April 07, 2009, 02:14:50 pm »
Why in the world were yours the only flowers at 421 Broome?

We'll never know.  Maybe some were there earlier and were removed, or more came later.  Or maybe it's just time for the memorials to start fading away.... :(

So, John, I guess our clubbing careers have been cut short now that Beatrice Inn is shut down.  Maybe it's just as well for my hearing and my lower back.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #276 on: April 10, 2009, 11:57:46 pm »
We'll never know.  Maybe some were there earlier and were removed, or more came later.  Or maybe it's just time for the memorials to start fading away.... :(

So, John, I guess our clubbing careers have been cut short now that Beatrice Inn is shut down.   Maybe it's just as well for my hearing and my lower back.  ;D

hahahahaha!

;D

(Thanks for the May 9th invite... I'll think about whether or not I can make it...  I don't live there - was only visiting...)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #277 on: April 11, 2009, 12:37:31 pm »
(Thanks for the May 9th invite... I'll think about whether or not I can make it...  I don't live there - was only visiting...)

Oh, okay.  For some reason I thought I remembered you posting way back when that you were on Long Island, but I'm probably confusing you with someone else.  Anyway, I hope you can make it to the big bash.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #278 on: January 22, 2010, 08:41:17 am »
Resposting a pic by Meryl, from January 2008

And one by me, from May 2009

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #279 on: September 16, 2010, 12:48:14 pm »

Heya,

So, yesterday and Tuesday I had my own little pilgrimage to the old Broome Street location, of course, in advance of the Brokie gathering at the end of the month.  I was in NYC for a quick business meeting and was staying in Soho with a work colleague.  I had plenty of opportunities to walk passed Heath's old building and snap some new photos.  It really is a haunting experience to encounter that building.

This is the photo I snapped yesterday morning.

And, I was amazed to see the window display in the shop directly across from the 421 building... it was filled with skateboards!  Was that shop there before?  I found this to be quite a remarkable thing given the spirit of Heath associated with that street.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie