Author Topic: Do you think your life will change now?  (Read 24740 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Do you think your life will change now?
« on: January 23, 2008, 11:00:39 pm »
I mean, I know we've all changed some since seeing Brokeback Mountain. That's a big part of why we're here. But does Heath's death take it another step?

I've been thinking mine will, or at least hoping it will. I've been trying to make sure I get things done that need to be done. Trying to remember what matters and not sweating the small stuff. Trying to resist getting sucked into family squabbles in order to keep my sights on the bigger picture.

Of course, maybe this is just the immediate effect of the shock, and it will wear off after a while.

But I guess what I'm saying is, does this tragedy change anything about how you want to live your life??

:-\

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Do you think your life will change now?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:02:27 pm »
Well, I made a decision not to let friendships disappear. That's something.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:11:55 pm »
One of the major components of my grief-and my grief is preeettyy huge-is that life will change. So much of my time and energy and happiness has been Brokeback related and Brokeback without Heath and Jake takes on a whole new weightless dimension. They are my anchors and I just feel like I'm drifting right now-in a sea of disbelief and misery and uncertainty.

Heathen

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:11:59 pm »
I've just had three people die within 24 hours.  Jackie (Painted Shoes over on DCF), Heath, and my boss at work....  I'm still sortin' all this out and what it all means...  

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:12:42 pm »
Well, I made a decision not to let friendships disappear. That's something.

Yee-haw friend!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:15:35 pm »

I am 28 years old and I have lost friends, relatives and acquaintances who were my age or younger.
I lost a cousin last year at 26.  I was in denial about it for weeks.  But he was truly gone.
There is no way that doesn't change you.

For me, death is always a reminder to keep things in perspective.  Always.  Nothing is promised or guaranteed and ideally, nothing should be taken for granted either.
There are so many little things we can get stuck on that keep us from living.  Petty things that we can do without.

Heath's life was short but I think he got on with it, living in the now.  I respect that.
That's the bottom line, I think.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 11:24:44 pm »
My life is changing, but those changes have been going on for some time now, as I approach my 50th birthday this spring. I don't really think Heath's death will impact those changes.

It will impact my interaction with this community, however. As I just posted elsewhere, further discussions or arguments over the film, what this or that means, what motivates Ennis or Jack, suddenly seem irrelevant--even, perhaps oddly, kind of disrespectful. They just don't seem to matter any more.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 11:25:36 pm »
One of the major components of my grief-and my grief is preeettyy huge-is that life will change. So much of my time and energy and happiness has been Brokeback related and Brokeback without Heath and Jake takes on a whole new weightless dimension. They are my anchors and I just feel like I'm drifting right now-in a sea of disbelief and misery and uncertainty.

Jake is still with us, and for me, Heath lives on.  Such a huge talent will never die.  Give it time, RouxB!  Heath will never leave you!  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 11:26:32 pm »

I've been trying to make sure I get things done that need to be done. Trying to remember what matters and not sweating the small stuff. Trying to resist getting sucked into family squabbles in order to keep my sights on the bigger picture.

Of course, maybe this is just the immediate effect of the shock, and it will wear off after a while.

Wow, all while I've been Googling Heath and channel surfing.   :-\

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 11:37:10 pm »
I think I'm still too much in shock to be able to judge how things will change.  But they surely will.

It's especially hard to predict how the Brokie community as a whole will change... forever now. :(

Being here among friends is certainly a comfort.  And, that's really wonderful.  Thank goodness we can be here for each other at the moment.  I can't imagine trying to handle all the news reports, etc. on my own without BetterMost or the Brokie community as a group.
 :-*

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie