Author Topic: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia  (Read 188459 times)

Offline Peachy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2008, 09:11:06 pm »
Hi Brokies!  :-*  Meryl’s friend Peachy here in WA.  Thought I’d better jump in because The West could run an ad tomorrow (Tues) but without a pic, due to the holiday and not having staff.  I’m afraid I don’t know what their copyright rules would be.  They may vary on different papers.   None of the notices to date have run a picture, including those from his family.

The classifieds are at the back of the paper as is traditional, and I’m sure his family will read them all.  What would you like me to do - wait for the Wednesday ad in hopes they’ll accept the picture?  I have about six hours before the Tuesday deadline.

ETA: Meryl just emailed to say go with Wednesday's, so Wednesday it is.  *crosses fingers for picture* 

Offline roryennis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Sending group condolences and flowers to Australia
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2008, 09:22:44 pm »
Just a though here. What if we take the extra monies and set up a scholarship fund in Heath's name at a Performing Arts school? So when his B-day rolls around we can contribute more into the fund.

On this other fan based site for a Canadian actor ,in lieu of cards and gifts,we have been doing this for several years and the actor, school, and student is very appreciative of the gesture.

Hi Roryennis, welcome! This is such a beautiful idea, please tell us more about it!

PM me about this. I don't want to step on anyones toes.
I had to contact the original person who set this up. Its a lengthy explanation.
Jack Twist.
Ennis
Your folks just stopped at Ennis?
Del Mar
Nice to know ya Ennis Del Mar.

And so with that introduction Jack and Ennis are forever bound together like Adam & Eve and Romeo & Juliet.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2008, 09:39:10 pm »
Hi Brokies!  :-*  Meryl’s friend Peachy here in WA.  Thought I’d better jump in because The West could run an ad tomorrow (Tues) but without a pic, due to the holiday and not having staff.  I’m afraid I don’t know what their copyright rules would be.  They may vary on different papers.   None of the notices to date have run a picture, including those from his family.

The classifieds are at the back of the paper as is traditional, and I’m sure his family will read them all.  What would you like me to do - wait for the Wednesday ad in hopes they’ll accept the picture?  I have about six hours before the Tuesday deadline.

Hey, Peachy, I just emailed you.  I think we should wait til Wednesday and use the picture, unless the staff at the paper have reservations about the copyright issue.  Did you see Kerry's suggested layout?  That looks good, if you can manage it. 

Is it really expensive to actually take out a small ad?  Maybe that would be better.  We've collected $668.00 so far, with more coming to me in the mail.

By the way, welcome to BetterMost.  8)

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2008, 09:48:30 pm »
Hey Peachy (welcome!) and Meryl!  Thank you so much for getting this all set to go.  I think this is a wonderful gesture. 

So, on Wednesday, if they won't accept the picture (for copyright reasons or some other reason), I hope we'll still go ahead with just the text format.  Is that the plan?

Great, great job and thanks again!

:-*

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2008, 10:54:40 pm »
I really think that is a very nice text!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2008, 04:42:27 am »
Peachy! I knew it had to be you! Thank you thank you thank you for doing this!

((Hugs you enormously))

I'll be singing Waltzing Matilda in your honour.  :-*

If possible, I would have liked a small ad too. But in any case, the text is wonderful and I'm so grateful to all of you who have made this a possibility. Our High Priestess is the best.  :-*

mvansand76

« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2008, 07:22:44 am »
Though I love the pic of the tulips in the snow (it's exquisite and so poignant), there is no Australian connection with tulips or snow and an explanation would be necessary.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but when I read a newspaper, I don't read it word for word, from cover to cover. I tend to flit through the pages quickly looking for headlines and pics that catch my attention. And they are the articles I read. If we want our tribute to be noticed by Heath's family, friends and loved ones, we must:

1. Use an instantly recognisable image of Heath;

2. Prominently use Heath's name in the header; and

3. Utilise well-spaced, uncluttered formatting that welcomes the eye to read the notice. Something like this:

In Memoriam
Heath Ledger
1979-2008

The men and women of bettermost.net
extend our heartfelt condolences to the family
and friends of Heath Ledger.

We love and respect Heath and thank him
for the spirit of positive change
he has inspired in our lives.

He will always live in our hearts.

This is amazing, Kerry, thank you so much....

Thank you Peachy for doing this for us! Eternal gratitude coming your way!  :-*

God, I'm choking up again, guys...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2008, 07:28:03 am »
This is amazing, Kerry, thank you so much....

Thank you Peachy for doing this for us! Eternal gratitude coming your way!  :-*

God, I'm choking up again, guys...

You are very welcome, Melissa.  :)

Hang in there, sweetheart.  :-*

{{{Melissa}}}
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2008, 03:57:58 pm »
Well I,m having no luck atall trying to send anything via paypal for flowers. I clicked that I,m not a resident of the US, but in the bit where you fill in your address details, it still asks you for a state and a zip code. Well I don,t have a state because I,m not in the US, and  we have postcodes, not zip codes, although they mean the same thing. So I,m stuck. >:(

Offline jstephens9

Re: Sending group condolences and flowers to Australia
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2008, 04:13:06 pm »
I've just sent through my donation, Meryl.

Interflora, here in Australia, do a beautiful big display of Australian native flowers in a lovely wicker basket for about $100 + $20 delivery. We often send this arrangement where I work for staff birthdays, farewells, etc., and it's always well received. I thought Australian native flowers might be appropriate for our Heath.

I think this idea of Australian native flowers is excellent!!! That is truly a good suggestion and does sound so fitting for Heath. I too am wondering what kinds of flowers are native to Australia.