Author Topic: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia  (Read 188813 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia
« Reply #210 on: January 29, 2008, 09:51:09 am »
Peachy,

I found this in an article from the New York Daily News:

Ledger, a rising star in Hollywood known for his brooding personality and complex roles, is expected to be buried in his native Perth, Australia.

Funeral plans remain shrouded in secrecy, but the Bowra & O'Dea funeral home in Midland Australia, is believed to be handling the arrangements.

The century-old funeral home is just a couple of miles away from Guildford, where Ledger attended grammar school in the 1980s.

Mike Ledger, Heath's uncle, told Australian news services that the family was still finalizing plans, but they were considering holding a private wake at Guildford Grammar.

Employees at Bowra & O'Dea were tight-lipped yesterday.

"I don't have any information I can tell you, sorry," a manager said when asked when Ledger's body would be received.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

mvansand76

« Reply #211 on: January 29, 2008, 09:54:10 am »
It seems like they are taking their time in arranging the funeral. God, this must be so hard on them...  :'(

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2008, 09:57:13 am »
I love that thisis happening!!
Can I still contribute?
Peachy, haven't talked to you before but welcome to our community and a million thanks for what you are doing!
You have my un-dying gratitude!
Meryl you too!  :-*  :-*
And Mouk I can't say enough what a beautiful thing it was that you did. I heard what a trek it mush have been to do that and I am grateful you did that.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2008, 10:02:02 am »
OMG guys, Meryl sent me here, I can't believe this is happening. Thank you all, and thank you Peachy for organising it down in Perth and a thousand thanks Ellemeno and Fabienne for your kind words. I feel so honored and overwhelmed, I am shaking and crying. I was thinking of you all when I was at that Campsite, there were so many fond memories from the summer. This photo is from and for all of us.

I am so grateful for meeting you guys, and for your friendship, which I hope will last for ever.

It is true that I don't post much, I am not much of a communicator. Truth is, BBM has dominated my life every single day since my first viewing on 26 Jan 2006, couldn't quit it if I tried to. By making J&E so real, Heath and Jake took me to hell so that I could, finally, feel alive again. I owe them so much more than I can ever say, or comprehend myself.

I did like the photo of Heath / Ennis very much, it was so very relevant and it really is a shame we could not use it. (But I won't complain too loud  ;))

{{{Mouk}}} Thank you so much for the beautiful photo and the effort involved in placing that memorial at the campsite.  It's also so nice to see you here.
:)

And, again, cudos to Meryl and Peachy.
 :-*

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2008, 12:26:51 pm »
How wonderful it is to log on this morning and see all the comments here!  Mouk, I'm so glad it worked out that your picture will be used.  It's personal, beautiful and so moving.  I can't wait to see what the finished notice looks like.  8)

Thanks, everyone, for your thanks.  It's been a great priviilege to be of service to BetterMost and our Heath in this project.  Thank you, Peachy, for stepping up to the plate and getting the job done so well.  This is a much-needed balm after a very sad week.  :-*

To would-be contributors:  Go here for instructions on how to donate.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:05:44 pm by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Re: Is there any way....
« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2008, 01:23:45 pm »
Oh and I don't want to sound mean spirited but when I read the post, I thought the same thing. I think what this forum is doing makes more sense and is really (for those doing all the real work) a much greater and more thoughtful effort.

I absolutely agree.  I wasn't really that enthusiastic about the idea of raising money to hand over to some industry trade publication for an advertisement which one can never tell who it reaches.  I'd rather donate to something that is either a direct emotional statement that reaches the right people, or to an organization that is doing work on the ground and directly reaching the people it needs to reach.  Having been involved in non-profits for many years, there are good ones that do a lot of good work with a little money, and many bad ones that spend all of their contributions on lavish salaries, office stuff, or even worse, to pay for more fundraising.  The more direct, the better, and I am especially impressed with smaller groups that spend as much as possible on services instead of on themselves.

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2008, 01:46:36 pm »
That's not the picture in question, Chris.  It's this:

To would-be contributors:  Go here for instructions on how to donate.

OMG! I love this picture!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

mvansand76

« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2008, 02:05:39 pm »

OMG! I love this picture!

Me too, Lee... He looks so vulnerable doesn't he?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2008, 02:21:38 pm »
Me too, Lee... He looks so vulnerable doesn't he?
Yeah!
Looks like the two sides of Ennis.
The tough Cowboy and the Ennis Jack Knew.
Sweet and vulnerable.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2008, 03:02:13 pm »
Thank you Phillip. I had hoped my comment would not be taken the wrong way. It's not easy for those organizing this over so many miles. At least there is not a language barrier.