Author Topic: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia  (Read 186864 times)

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia
« Reply #260 on: January 29, 2008, 10:50:30 pm »
As it turns out, the cost of placing the notice was very low, only $124.10 US.  I've asked Peachy what she thinks of running it again in the Friday paper.  What do you all think?

I like the idea. I'm surprised it didn't cost more. I like the idea of contributing to a charity also.

Offline Peachy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #261 on: January 29, 2008, 11:09:46 pm »
Being Saturday, the West says the cost goes up to $159.06 Australian.  Still reasonable I think. :)   

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #262 on: January 29, 2008, 11:17:55 pm »
It's lovely to see our effort in context.  The photo is perfect.  Thanks so much, Peachy. 

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #263 on: January 29, 2008, 11:22:57 pm »
This thought struck me just as I was falling asleep, so I had to log on again....

I see our ad has been included as the top item on the Bettermost.Net front page. I would suggest it might also be a nice idea to add the original image of the spring flowers in the snow, and explain where it was taken, why and when.  If anyone reading our tribute to Heath in the paper, perhaps even someone in his family, actually follows the link mentioned, they would then get to know that very touching information. It speaks volumes about how Brokeback fans respect and miss Heath. Also the original image is so lovely and peaceful, it would complement the ad facsimile beautifully.

Just a thought.

Otherwise I fully agree with the suggested repeated ad, flowers, and a charity donation. :)

Concerning the flowers, perhaps it's possible that the family would have the firm handling the funeral accepting the flowers and conveying them on to wherever the funeral is? Or conveying them to the family? From the page in the paper you posted, Meryl,  it seems there are a lot of local friends and aquaintances of the family who would also want to send flowers....the Ledger family would want to make some way for them to be able to do so, I should think? So perhaps some sort of information will be forthcoming, but probably not the time, location etc. for all to read... Well, we'll see. If Peachy's on the case, this is in safe and capable hands.  8)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #264 on: January 29, 2008, 11:40:44 pm »
That's a really good point, Mika.  I've put a suggestion out to Phillip and Elle to adjust the banner so those links are on top; that way curious surfers can see the story of the picture and the ad right away.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #265 on: January 29, 2008, 11:41:34 pm »
Check your email (again), Meryl.  :)

No more beans!

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #266 on: January 29, 2008, 11:44:21 pm »
I'd like to again thank Peachy, Meryl, and Mouk for that wonderful picture and tribute to our beloved Heath. As I am typing, I am trying to hold back the tears. (tears of sadness and tears of joy)  Bettermostians are an awesome group of people of whom I am proud to be a part. :)

I think it's a great idea to run the tribute again, send flowers, and to donate to charity.

You guys are amazing. :-*

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #267 on: January 30, 2008, 12:04:15 am »
I see our ad has been included as the top item on the Bettermost.Net front page. I would suggest it might also be a nice idea to add the original image of the spring flowers in the snow, and explain where it was taken, why and when.  If anyone reading our tribute to Heath in the paper, perhaps even someone in his family, actually follows the link mentioned, they would then get to know that very touching information. It speaks volumes about how Brokeback fans respect and miss Heath. Also the original image is so lovely and peaceful, it would complement the ad facsimile beautifully.

I have put a call to action out to our mods, and frankly anyone who wants to help, by doing one better and creating an article that is written specifically for visiting Aussies as a result of that clipping.  Once that is posted (it will be a message on the forum linked from the news banner and article page), I invite everyone to reply and send their greetings and help tell the BetterMost story.  Hopefully if I get some help, I'll be able to get something up tonight, so watch the news banner.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2008, 12:09:32 am »
Meryl, Peachy and everybody: well done! Our tribute really stands out, hopefully the family will read it and see how much we care.

Good idea about the second edition, flowers and donation to charity. I was also wondering about something that might be lasting, perhaps a plaque for his old school to inspire the new generatios -  with a portrait of him and a few words showing how much an artist with courage and a beautiful soul can do to change lives. Just thinking out loud...

Mikaela, good idea for the flowers. Perhaps we can tell  the funeral directors exactly what we want, send them the money and they can place the order when the time is right. They are the perfect people to orchestate it.  

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2008, 12:18:42 am »
The notice is beautiful. Thank you, Meryl, Peachy, and mouk. :)

About charities: I believe someone mentioned that there was some web site that described charitable interests of various celebrities? I think that it said that Heath's involved children and AIDS.

So here's an idea. Are there any charitable organizations that support opportunities for Australian kids to get involved with acting/theater? Not acting school - I mean, Heath didn't go to acting school - but groups that support theater programs in schools, or summer programs, or anything that lets kids experiment with acting?
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.