Author Topic: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia  (Read 189021 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia
« Reply #530 on: April 01, 2008, 05:39:18 pm »
Thank you meryl!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

mvansand76

« Reply #531 on: April 03, 2008, 04:57:28 pm »
I can't believe it's already his birthday in Australia. The flowers must have arrived there already...

mvansand76

« Reply #532 on: April 04, 2008, 05:16:40 pm »
Uhoh.... Meryl, did you hear something about te order for flowers not going through?

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20188829,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines
Friends Remember Heath Ledger on his 29th Birthday

By Brenda Rodriguez

Originally posted Friday April 04, 2008 02:55 PM EDT
Heath Ledger

As family and friends continue to try to come to grips with Heath Ledger's death in January, Friday marked what would have been the actor's 29th birthday.

"It was an honor to work with him, and I think that he'll always be in people's thoughts," Ledger's Brokeback Mountain costar Kate Mara, who played his older daughter, told PEOPLE at a Beverly Hills event for the Kenneth Cole Awareness Fund. "I think he affected people that he'd never met before."

In Australia, the Ledger family kept a low profile, and there were no notices in the local papers in memoriam.

"It's just a day-by-day thing," says a family source when asked how the Ledgers would be remembering the actor on his birthday. "That's all a private family matter. It's got nothing to do with anyone else."

A person called Karrakatta Cemetery in Perth, where the Ledgers have a family plot, wanting to lay flowers for Heath, but sources there tell PEOPLE that his ashes have not been interred.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #533 on: April 04, 2008, 08:53:05 pm »
Uhoh.... Meryl, did you hear something about te order for flowers not going through?

A person called Karrakatta Cemetery in Perth, where the Ledgers have a family plot, wanting to lay flowers for Heath, but sources there tell PEOPLE that his ashes have not been interred.

Yes, Melissa, sad to say, I did get this message yesterday from Interflora:

Please be advised that our florist has been in contact with the Karrakatta
Cemetery staff. They advised that - "there's no gravesite yet allocated" for
Heath Ledger. Our florist is aware that Mr Heath Ledger was to be buried
beside his grandparents but cemetery staff are not able to give out these
details, unless we can provide more information ie. the grandparents first
names. We sincerely apologise that our florist cannot locate this gravesite
at this stage.

She suggested sending the order to the family so they can place the flowers
on the gravesite for you but again, we will require their address details to
enable us to do this.

Worst case scenario, we can of course cancel and refund your order if
required. Please confirm how you'd like us to proceed.

Kind regards,
Fabiana, Customer Care

My reply was this:

Dear Fabiana,

Thank you for your reply.  I'm extremely disappointed that protocol prevents
your delivering the flowers to the gravesite.  It's hardly possible that the
cemetery staff are unaware of where the gravesite is located, but without
their cooperation, it's impossible to proceed.

Since I do not have the address of Heath Ledger's parents or know the names
of the grandparents in question, it seems I'll have to cancel the order and
take the refund you offered.

Thanks again for your efforts to deliver the flowers, and for your message.

So it seems that the Universe is not exactly helping us to give tokens of our love to Heath.  Twice we've tried to send flowers and not been successful.  Also, it seems we've had no word from the Wirrpanda Foundation about making a donation in his memory (at least Phillip hasn't said they've responded).  But that doesn't mean we wont keep trying!

Anyway, the good news is that John Gallagher invited me to breakfast today at the restaurant near Heath's old apartment that he was known to frequent:  the Grotta Azzura on Broome Street.  We wore striped scarves and bought roses and took pictures.  Afterwards, we left the roses at 421 Broome Street, which was overrun with guys moving out furniture and all sorts of lighting equipment.  (We wondered if it could possibly be Heath's stuff; but even if it wasn't, it was kind of interestingly symbolic, eh?).

So consider the roses delivered despite all obstacles!  ;D

Pictures are posted here:  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,16573.msg357482.html#msg357482
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #534 on: April 04, 2008, 08:59:03 pm »

Awww, the breakfast sounds lovely High Priestess.  And, it's so nice that you left flowers at 421 Broome Street.  I'm sorry to hear about all the troubles with the flower delivery to the cemetery.

Should we just go ahead and use all the money for charity instead of trying with another flower attempt in Australia?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #535 on: April 05, 2008, 07:01:12 am »
According to this article Heath's ashes aren't interred so maybe they're spreading them somewhere pretty and meaningful to Heath.

Anyway, your attempts to have flowers delivered made the news. If this is posted somewhere else, please let me know. Thanks.

Friends Remember Heath Ledger on his 29th Birthday
By Brenda Rodriguez

As family and friends continue to try to come to grips with Heath Ledger's death in January, Friday marked what would have been the actor's 29th birthday.

"It was an honor to work with him, and I think that he'll always be in people's thoughts," Ledger's Brokeback Mountain costar Kate Mara, who played his older daughter, told PEOPLE at a Beverly Hills event for the Kenneth Cole Awareness Fund. "I think he affected people that he'd never met before."

In Australia, the Ledger family kept a low profile, and there were no notices in the local papers in memoriam.

"It's just a day-by-day thing," says a family source when asked how the Ledgers would be remembering the actor on his birthday. "That's all a private family matter. It's got nothing to do with anyone else."

Difficult to Grasp

A close friend of Ledger's from his hometown says the actor's death of an accidental overdose is still difficult to grasp. "I haven't come to terms with it," says the friend. "I'm just trying to get through it. It has really affected his friends."

And how is his father, Kim, holding up? "He doesn't want to talk about it," the friend tells PEOPLE. "He's a tough guy but he's a private man as well."

Also keeping a low profile was Michelle Williams and 2-year-old daughter Matilda. Williams has kept busy in Boston, working on the film Shutter Island, based on the book.

Meanwhile, the DEA investigation into how Ledger obtained the powerful and addictive painkillers 0xycontin and Vicodin will likely take several more weeks, a DEA source tells PEOPLE.

"Agents are still conducting interviews and are trying to get the proper documents to interview more of Ledger's doctors," the source says.

• Reporting by MELENIE AMBROSE, MARIANNE BILKEY, SHRUTI DHALWALA and NICOLE WEISENSEE EGAN

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20188829,00.html

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #536 on: April 05, 2008, 08:14:24 am »

So it seems that the Universe is not exactly helping us to give tokens of our love to Heath.  Twice we've tried to send flowers and not been successful.  Also, it seems we've had no word from the Wirrpanda Foundation about making a donation in his memory (at least Phillip hasn't said they've responded).  But that doesn't mean we wont keep trying!

Well, at least we managed to get the notice in the paper with Mouk's beautiful picture!

Thank you for all your hard work on this, Meryl. I sincerely appreciate all you have done.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #537 on: April 05, 2008, 10:06:51 am »
I'm sorry about the flowers too.  Thank you for your efforts in all this, Meryl.

However, I think any remembrance that we have made is significant.  Whether it's wearing stripes, changing user names, posting pictures, lighting a candle, just thinking of Heath, it's all good.

Heath's remains aren't important; rather it's how Heath remains with us that is important.

I take particular comfort in the image of Mouk's flowers in Alberta at Campsite #2, and John and Meryl's flowers at 421 Broome. 

yb

« Reply #538 on: April 05, 2008, 11:07:19 am »
Meryl, please don't take this too hard.  Even though it is disappointing that we were not able to send the flowers to the gravesite, it's the heart that counts so I guess Heath would understand.

With regard to the donation, whatever will be chosen will be fine by me. 

Once again, thanks for all the efforts you have put in this cause.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #539 on: April 05, 2008, 11:40:10 am »
Well, at least we managed to get the notice in the paper with Mouk's beautiful picture!

Amen!  8)

Heath's remains aren't important; rather it's how Heath remains with us that is important.

Sure enough.  You can say that twice and mean it.  :-*

Meryl, please don't take this too hard.  Even though it is disappointing that we were not able to send the flowers to the gravesite, it's the heart that counts so I guess Heath would understand.

Thanks, Betty.  In the larger scheme of things, I feel sure Heath knows all about our flowers and received them in spirit.  :)

Funny thing, after I left John in Soho, I had to dash to make it to a hair appointment, then dash to make it to work on time.  By the skin of my teeth, I grabbed two subways and a taxi just when I needed them.  I think Heath was sitting on my shoulder to help out.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...