Author Topic: Jake  (Read 46901 times)

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
Jake
« on: January 24, 2008, 03:28:58 pm »
Has anyone heard any comments or reactions from Jake (Jack)? i am stuck in the office 10 hrs a day and haven't heard much in the media that is new and if there has been a reaction  from Jake, I haven't heard about it. I knew that you guys would know if one had been released...
want to say thanks for sharing all the lovely poems and thoughts. I has reminded me that Brokies are the strongest family around...
been missiin you all
maggie
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

mvansand76

Re: Jake
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 03:50:59 pm »
Has anyone heard any comments or reactions from Jake (Jack)? i am stuck in the office 10 hrs a day and haven't heard much in the media that is new and if there has been a reaction  from Jake, I haven't heard about it. I knew that you guys would know if one had been released...
want to say thanks for sharing all the lovely poems and thoughts. I has reminded me that Brokies are the strongest family around...
been missiin you all
maggie

Been wondering the same thing...  :-\

I was also wondering that if Jake is still Matilda's godfather, what that means for him. I was thinking not much because it usually comes into play when both parents die, right? What are the other reasons for having a godmother and father?

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 03:56:45 pm »
its so hard for us to talk about it, can you imagine the depth of feelings going on for Jake? their relationship had to be so multifaceted. they shared things no one else could understand in thier roles in BBM. it must havemade their friendship much deeper, somehow.
i found this post from awhile back that i posted...thought it might help now
Death is nothing at all

I have only slipped away into the next room
I am I
you are you
Whatever we were to each other that we still are

Call me by my old familiar name
speak to me in the easy way you always used to

Put no difference in your tone
wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together

Let my name be ever the household word it always was
let it be spoken without effort
without the trace of a shadow on it
Life means all that it ever meant

Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight
I am waiting for you
for an interval
somewhere very near
just round the corner
All is well

It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 03:58:10 pm »
the only mention of Jake I saw was on TMZ.com that said security had been increased on the set of "Brothers" where he is shooting to keep the media away from him because he does not want to make a statement.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 04:11:41 pm »
I was also wondering that if Jake is still Matilda's godfather, what that means for him. I was thinking not much because it usually comes into play when both parents die, right? What are the other reasons for having a godmother and father?

As far as I know, in the U.S. these days, being a godparent isn't much more than an honorary thing. It's not something that comes to an end, so Jake is still Matilda's godfather, but in practical terms I expect it really doesn't mean much, unless he chooses to involve himself in her life and Michelle and the rest of the family allow him to be a part of her life. A godparent has no legal standing.

But the question reminds me that I have been wondering whether Heath had made a will.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 04:22:36 pm »
its so hard for us to talk about it, can you imagine the depth of feelings going on for Jake? their relationship had to be so multifaceted. they shared things no one else could understand in thier roles in BBM. it must havemade their friendship much deeper, somehow.
i found this post from awhile back that i posted...thought it might help now
Death is nothing at all

I have only slipped away into the next room
I am I
you are you
Whatever we were to each other that we still are

Call me by my old familiar name
speak to me in the easy way you always used to

Put no difference in your tone
wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together

Let my name be ever the household word it always was
let it be spoken without effort
without the trace of a shadow on it
Life means all that it ever meant

Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight
I am waiting for you
for an interval
somewhere very near
just round the corner
All is well

That's beautiful.... :'(

Yes, I bet it must be hard on Jake. I do agree that their bond was probably a very special one just because of what they shared on BBM and knowing the way Heath acts, pouring everything in the role. I can understand he doesn't want to make a statement right now, but I hope he will talk about it soon. People are waiting for him to say something I think. But he doesn't owe us a statement, so he can do whatever he wants, right?

As far as I know, in the U.S. these days, being a godparent isn't much more than an honorary thing. It's not something that comes to an end, so Jake is still Matilda's godfather, but in practical terms I expect it really doesn't mean much, unless he chooses to involve himself in her life and Michelle and the rest of the family allow him to be a part of her life. A godparent has no legal standing.

But the question reminds me that I have been wondering whether Heath had made a will.  ???

Thanks for that, it's the same here in Holland I think, unless you are religious and have sealed it in church I think...

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 04:30:35 pm »
Well it's sort of like being asked to do the Eulogy for someone you loved who has died.  My father wanted me to talk about my Mom at her funeral and I just couldn't do it, I was too emotional, instead I threw myself in a fury of house cleaning and cooking for all the out of town family that was coming.  My grief was too intense and my thoughts too personal.  Same thing happened again when a dear friend committed suicide from postpartum depression.  He husband asked me and I just could not do it.

Perhaps Jake needs space to process his grief at the loss of his friend before he can make a composed statement, one that won't be misinterpreted or made to seem some how  scandalous, sensational and salacious by the the tabloids.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 04:34:57 pm »
A godparent has no legal standing.

If both parents die, their will usually designates who will raise the child.

I would guess anyone with that much money, plus layers of managers, assistants, accountants, etc., undoubtedly does. Financial advisers always urge you to get one, if only to avoid the hassles of probate court. Without one, everything probably would go to Matilda, which perhaps is what he arranged anyway.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 04:38:38 pm »
Been wondering the same thing...  :-\

I believe it has a religious connotation - the concept of a godparent is literally a 'spiritual parent' if you will; someone the biological parents of a child believe would provide additional spiritual guidance for the child as they are growing up. But, right it has no legal standing unless the godparents are designated in the parents' will (should both die), that the godparents should have custody of their child/children.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 04:53:59 pm »
I'm kind of finding these various media stories focusing on Jake being Matilda's godfather and hence "rushing to aid Michelle with Matilda" rather annoying. They seem to be based on hearsay, old interviews and pure speculation. Also , they (as well as this media pressure for Jake to make a statement - my God, what could he say? We know what he must be feeling! Do they need to hear him, or see him, put his grief on display?  :-\ ) seem to put unnecessary and unfair pressure on Jake concerning how he's expected to behave "in public". And they seem to indicate that  Michelle Williams, who looks to me to be a very capable woman, is not able to raise her own child with the help and support, as and when required, of her own family and near friends - and of a new life partner when/if that time comes for her.

I don't know how much contact Jake kept with Heath and Michelle after the Brokeback intensity died down once the Academy Awards were history - I'm sure they kept in touch but they did live on opposite sides of the country and had busy schedules in their respective lives. However that was, I wouldn't expect Jake to be the obvious person to have an everyday hand in Matilda's life and upbringing. Godfather or no.

~~

I posted over in the Heath Heath Heath thread about what Heath's death means for Jake in terms of Jake having to "represent" both Jack and Ennis going forward, so I won't repeat that here.