Author Topic: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus  (Read 264316 times)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Re: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2009, 02:27:43 am »
Well, it could have been that Heath's death affected them so deeply that it subconsciously affected their choices of trailer dialog?  I think even that's taking it too far.  The film is about immortality (aka cheating death) after all.

I think Brokie fever is affecting us here.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2009, 03:42:32 am »
I don't know what Brokie Fever is, exactly - but what I do know is that the movie industry is cynical, and that it's all about making the bucks, - and also that Gilliam has shown he's able to do decidedly un-classy things. (Ref. his diatribe against Michelle Williams). So I think the choice of that punchline does indeed deliberately reference Heath's death (and the way his role was "resurrected" by Depp and others).

Gilliam/the distributers/whoever is responsible for the trailer may even tell themselves that in riffing on the main star's mid-shoot death and in using the interest and attention the film gets specifically because of that, they are actually honouring Heath and his art. After all, it's a way to get more people come watch his final film.

But when all is said and done, I personally think it's about the money. They use what they have. Cynically. Or maybe just realistically.

The film itself still looks cool, though, all marketing ploys aside. That's the main thing.

Offline optom3

« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2009, 06:41:30 pm »
It's crazy:  right at 1:52 when Heath says "Voila" — he looks so much like Johnny Depp there.  He tightens the muscles around his cheekbones exactly as Depp does sometimes.  Serendipitous since Depp would later help take up the role... they're hard to tell apart in this trailer!

Heath did look a bit like Depp in his brunette moments.

I agree 100% with the Heath/Depp similarities. It is all the more poignant as Depp was my all time favourite and most talented actor until seeing BBM and Heath. I find it pulls so much on the heart strings, as I realise that after a brief fling with the "in posse" Depp finally took root in France with his wife and children. There he seems to live a rural idyll away from all the trappings of celebrity and the constant siege laid down by the paparazzi.
I thought Heath would ultimately choose that lifestyle, leaving it only for very special projects.
Both actors had a taste of the celebrity lifestyle and neither seemed at ease with it. A wonderful and vastly underrated actor, Dirk Bogarde also made Southern France his home. His part in the caretaker was a masterpiece, yet he too for different reasons took refuge away from all the major trappings of the hedonistic life style of so many artists.

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2009, 05:23:46 pm »
thanks for posting the trailer but it is with a better sweet feeling I am watching it. its mixed emotions between joy and sadness. first seeing heath makes you go crazy  :D and then suddenly your awareness a wakes you with johnny depp and it gives you confusion. :-\

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2009, 07:34:01 pm »
It just makes me sad!  :'(

I want to see it but it'll be hard.
It wasn't like that in the dark knight because you realy had to look hard to see Heath but in this you can see him so clearly.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2009, 08:52:05 pm »
I watched the trailer today. It gave me chill bumps. I could barely tell Heath and J. Depp apart---the movie looks amazing.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2009, 02:01:48 am »
Here's a link for a terrific hi-def version of the trailer.  Click the middle icon on the bottom right and it will go to full screen mode.  8)

http://www.imaginariumofdrparnassus.com/
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2009, 01:23:22 am »
Well I am really looking forward to this.  And my mother is a Johnny Depp obsessed fanatic, so maybe I'll take her to see this.  :)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2009, 07:30:34 pm »

It was like seeing into the past, to see Heath in that trailer.  I am so so glad they finished it.  They all loved him,
and his personal way.  He was honored and his daughter will receive the money that she never would have gotten,
if it had just all been ashcanned.  I for one cannot wait to see it.  I would go and see it, if he was only in it for a
short time of say two minutes.  It is like truly watching magic, to see him in his acting glory. 
     Thus far I have been very  unsatisfied with Gilliams movies.  They start well and then just kind of die on the vine.
I hope and pray that this one has better fate.  I would love to see a truly outstanding finish to this career that we
all know had so much more to contribute.

Beautiful mind

Offline Kay-Nasty

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Just Sending Up A Prayer Of Thanks"
« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2009, 05:36:58 am »
'Parnassus' finds Stateside buyer
Sony in advanced talks to pick up Ledger film
By SHARON SWART

'The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus'

Heath Ledger’s final film has finally found a Stateside buyer.
Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Group is in advanced talks to pick up "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus," with plans for it to go out theatrically, likely this year, via Sony Pictures Classics.

Pic is expected to be a lucrative homevideo title due to the Ledger angle and the other star power. Terry Gilliam’s adventure also features Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell, who replaced Ledger in various fantasy scenes after the thesp died during the film’s production in January 2008.

"Parnassus" was officially unveiled at Cannes this year in an out-of-competition slot toward the end of the festival. Several buyers screened the film just before Cannes, but a deal didn’t immediately emerge.

Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Group has been a key player in a number of pic deals lately, including for "The Young Victoria." That film will go out theatrically via Bob Berney and Bill Pohlad’s new Apparition label, and SPWAG will handle all ancillaries as part of a three-way deal on the pic.

SPWAG has a homevid deal with Apparition.

The "Parnassus" deal with Sony has long been in the works and could be made official this week.

Reps on the deal, including sales agent John Sloss, remained mum.

The film goes out in the fourth quarter through various distributors in European territories including the U.K., France, Germany and Italy, plus Australia and New Zealand.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007231.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

I had been worried for awhile that I wouldn't be able to see this in the theaters. A straight to DVD in the US would have been horrible. >:( >:( >:(
Now I just hope it comes out sooner than later. Preferably Christmas time, when I'm out of school and have time to scout out the theaters showing it, as it's likely to have a limited release. Plus, I plan on seeing it multiple times. ;)

"I never had money, and I was very happy without it. When I die, my money's not gonna come with me. My movies will live on - for people to judge what I was as a person."  ~Heath, I swear