Author Topic: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus  (Read 264455 times)

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2009, 05:14:38 am »
Thanks Meryl. I appreciated your impressions.
BbM, I swear

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #191 on: December 22, 2009, 05:30:50 am »
Thank you Meryl. I read it all, of course.

Good to know that it's not overly obscure (as if I'd really care, I'll be the same as you, absobing every second of Heath). But it's good to know his last movie will not be some obscure and over the top excentric experiment, but a real movie that people can enjoy.

I remember when those pics of Heath hanging off the bridge showed up. I found them hard to watch, even back then, not knowing what tragedy will happen.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #192 on: December 22, 2009, 11:30:02 am »
Thanks Meryl, just reading what you so eloquently wrote, brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. I really appreciate you taking the time to post your impressions.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #193 on: December 29, 2009, 04:21:40 pm »
Anthony Lane's comment about Heath in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, in the Dec. 21 and 28 issue of The New Yorker (it's not particularly flattering, but it's part of the public record, so here it is):

"It should not be mistaken for [Heath's] finest hour; we see his larking, but not the undertow of frailty that tugged at 'Brokeback Mountain,' and his principal duty here, like everyone else's, is to go with the flow of phantasmagoria."

(In case you haven't guessed, Lane doesn't like the movie. At least, that's how I read his review.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #194 on: December 29, 2009, 07:49:53 pm »
After atleast 7 months waiting, its finally gonna happen. I am gonna see it. On the first day of the new year me and buffymon will do the big drive to the city and watch it. But it will be with mixed emotions, but hopefully when I see heath it will just be with a lot of joy!  :)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #195 on: December 29, 2009, 08:24:35 pm »
Thanks Meryl, just reading what you so eloquently wrote, brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. I really appreciate you taking the time to post your impressions.

I just saw the film and I would just echo Meryl's comments which I agree with completely.  Here are some thoughts:

[spoiler]I was astonished by how much Johnny Depp resembled Heath.  He played the first Imaginarium Tony. Jude Law, the second & Colin Farrel played the last and darkest.  They were all good, in fact there are no weak performances in what is essentially an ensemble piece.  Lily Cole and Andrew Garlfield also exceeded my expectations.

It was definitely a bittersweet experience though.  I was really doing well emotionally until I saw that "A Film from Heath Ledger and Friends" card and then his photo. (All at the end, btw) then I kinda lost it and started to majorly tear up.
I'm happy to say that my mood, when I finally left the theatre, was very good, it was nice to see Heath again and that cheered me up.
[/spoiler]

PS:  Strangely, the website for the movie is still not available:

From a Bing search:

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - Official Site - Coming Soon
For updates regarding the film:

www.doctorparnassus.com

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:26:01 pm by oilgun »

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #196 on: December 29, 2009, 08:47:28 pm »
thank you so much meryl for that lovely and beutiful report.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #197 on: December 31, 2009, 02:36:24 pm »
Thanks to everyone who read and commented on my comments, and thanks, Gil, for yours.  :-*

John Gallagher and I rang in New Year's Eve last night (we might make this a tradition!) with a viewing of "Imaginarium" at the Landmark Cinema downtown on East Houston Street.  Beforehand, we met for a wonderful, comfy supper at Supper, a place I know I'll return to, hopefully with Brokies.  Yummy food, simply served up, and as John says, the perfect place to escape from a wintry Manhattan night.

The 7:00 movie was about 3/4 full, but there was a long line for the next showing.  I was glad to see it again and fill in some of the plot details I'd missed the first time around.  John liked it (he said something like "it was really lovely and really a mess"), and I hope he'll write his impressions here.  I heard a man say on the way out "I really liked that."

Afterwards we crossed over Houston to have Australian coffee at the Tuck Shop (Gil will remember this place).  The laid-back guys in charge of the kitchen apologized for having no desserts, and no decaf either, so John went for the real coffee and I had an Aussie beer while we watched them make meat pies (they smelled great).  Still hankering for a nosh and wanting to stretch out such a nice evening, we stopped on the way to the subway at Cafe Mogador, an old hangout of John's, which is really charming.  John had a cheese plate and a glass of port (his first indulgence in the grape in four fuckin years), and I had crispy baklava and green tea infused with mint, served in a beautiful silver Moroccan teapot.

Just as we reached the parting of our ways at the L train, it struck midnight, so we celebrated the arrival of December 31, 2009.  Til next year, John! ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #198 on: December 31, 2009, 02:45:29 pm »
Thanks to everyone who read and commented on my comments, and thanks, Gil, for yours.  :-*

John Gallagher and I rang in New Year's Eve last night (we might make this a tradition!) with a viewing of "Imaginarium" at the Landmark Cinema downtown on East Houston Street.  Beforehand, we met for a wonderful, comfy supper at Supper, a place I know I'll return to, hopefully with Brokies.  Yummy food, simply served up, and as John says, the perfect place to escape from a wintry Manhattan night.

The 7:00 movie was about 3/4 full, but there was a long line for the next showing.  I was glad to see it again and fill in some of the plot details I'd missed the first time around.  John liked it (he said something like "it was really lovely and really a mess"), and I hope he'll write his impressions here.  I heard a man say on the way out "I really liked that."

Afterwards we crossed over Houston to have Australian coffee at the Tuck Shop (Gil will remember this place).  The laid-back guys in charge of the kitchen apologized for having no desserts, and no decaf either, so John went for the real coffee and I had an Aussie beer while we watched them make meat pies (they smelled great).  Still hankering for a nosh and wanting to stretch out such a nice evening, we stopped on the way to the subway at Cafe Mogador, an old hangout of John's, which is really charming.  John had a cheese plate and a glass of port (his first indulgence in the grape in four fuckin years), and I had crispy baklava and green tea infused with mint, served in a beautiful silver Moroccan teapot.

Just as we reached the parting of our ways at the L train, it struck midnight, so we celebrated the arrival of December 31, 2009.  Til next year, John! ;D

Sounds like a really lovely evening.  Thanks for the report High Priestess.  :-*  And, yeehaw to John on the port!  I love port... and one of my best friends here in Pittsburgh has become something of a port aficionado so we indulge together from time to time.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #199 on: December 31, 2009, 03:00:24 pm »
What a lovely celebration! Thanks for sharing!
"chewing gum and duct tape"