Author Topic: What do you think was Heath's mission?  (Read 7283 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What do you think was Heath's mission?
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 02:34:13 am »
Jeff, I think that playing Ennis was an important element of Heath's mission, and, Oscar aside, he more than fulfilled that duty.  Hollywood will never be the same, those who made the film were touched by it and transformed, as have hundreds of thousands - millions? of others, since its release in 2005.  We are still talking about it every day.

I think there are other parts to his mission as well, ones we may see begin to take form in reaction to his death.  First of all, a renewed interest in his career,  several of which were of deep social relevance.  Another may be the increased daring of filmmakers to tread on formerly forbidden ground, and a greater willingness of the film industry to accept and to produce scripts that portray the struggle for LGBT civil rights.  I think that his portrayal of Ennis also allowed an untold number of others to begin to pen their own tales, encouraged by the heightened awareness caused by the film.  It is difficult to estimate the breakthrough this film has made - and the arts, particularly in the US, will never be the same.

The struggles of the LGBT population cannot remain marginalized in the "queer media."  They must be made mainstream.  "Will and Grace" and other popular shows in the media depicting gays, are effeminate caricatures, like African Americans in blackface or Jewish comedians in vaudeville.  There had to be a first breakthrough to the mainstream, and Heath was part of the charge out of the celluloid closet.

Wonderful post Louise!  :)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 02:36:04 am »
i agree that He was put here to play Ennis....but more than that....in an interview, Heath said that when he played a role, he thought of the character as a "cloak", that he wrapped himsef in, and totally became the character he played. if this is true, then he did not "play "the ROLE of Ennis, He WAS Ennis. that puts a whole new light on Heath's mission. He felt everyhting Ennis felt as if it were happening to him in real life. He was  a confused guy finding his way in a new and frightening and equally exciting world...he KNEW the fear of rejection and maybe even death from just living your life...He KNEW, and because if him so MANY, MANY others now know...and understand and agree and swell with pride and revel in their own understanding where before there was none....His purpose here was not just to "play" a role: it was to become Ennis. It was to draw us to Ennis. It was for us who had been drawn in, to change in ways we never dreamed possible, and reach out and tell others and maybe make a small difference in this world of intollerence and fear and hatred.  It was his lot to bring a light to the darkness, help remove the scales from eyes blinded by learned prejudices. it was his god given mission, and he accomplished it comlpletely with honor and honesty and he, through Ennis has changed many lives, for the good, forever.  Mine is one.

Beautiful post GayLee.  :-*

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 02:58:44 am »
There are two kinds of actors: those who wear roles like masks, and those who lay their souls bare for everyone to see.

Heath hid nothing from the camera. 
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 11:06:40 am »
Thanks TOoP/Bruce!!

Like you say: Heath was transparent as a person since he did his roles as an individual and as an actor real!!

Much more can and will be said... about wonderful true Heath!!

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 11:13:43 am »
Thanks Louise van

I agree whole heartedly with you saying:
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 06:51:09 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff, I think that playing Ennis was an important element of Heath's mission, and, Oscar aside, he more than fulfilled that duty.  Hollywood will never be the same, those who made the film were touched by it and transformed, as have hundreds of thousands - millions? of others, since its release in 2005.  We are still talking about it every day.

I think there are other parts to his mission as well, ones we may see begin to take form in reaction to his death.  First of all, a renewed interest in his career,  several of which were of deep social relevance.  Another may be the increased daring of filmmakers to tread on formerly forbidden ground, and a greater willingness of the film industry to accept and to produce scripts that portray the struggle for LGBT civil rights.  I think that his portrayal of Ennis also allowed an untold number of others to begin to pen their own tales, encouraged by the heightened awareness caused by the film.  It is difficult to estimate the breakthrough this film has made - and the arts, particularly in the US, will never be the same.

The struggles of the LGBT population cannot remain marginalized in the "queer media."  They must be made mainstream.  "Will and Grace" and other popular shows in the media depicting gays, are effeminate caricatures, like African Americans in blackface or Jewish comedians in vaudeville.  There had to be a first breakthrough to the mainstream, and Heath was part of the charge out of the celluloid closet.

Louise, to that, may I add that the celluloid closet, to use your wonderful expression, is now less and less a closet because the subject like the one chosen by Heath to play Ennis, is now not only powerful since it gives hope too all actors and actresses!!

Thanks Louise and may I say that much more can be said, like you say about Heath mission and can add,

hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 11:17:52 am »
Thanks GayLee!

Great is your example:
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:26:11 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i agree that He was put here to play Ennis....but more than that....in an interview, Heath said that when he played a role, he thought of the character as a "cloak", that he wrapped himsef in, and totally became the character he played. if this is true, then he did not "play "the ROLE of Ennis, He WAS Ennis. that puts a whole new light on Heath's mission. He felt everyhting Ennis felt as if it were happening to him in real life. He was  a confused guy finding his way in a new and frightening and equally exciting world...he KNEW the fear of rejection and maybe even death from just living your life...He KNEW, and because if him so MANY, MANY others now know...and understand and agree and swell with pride and revel in their own understanding where before there was none....His purpose here was not just to "play" a role: it was to become Ennis. It was to draw us to Ennis. It was for us who had been drawn in, to change in ways we never dreamed possible, and reach out and tell others and maybe make a small difference in this world of intollerence and fear and hatred.  It was his lot to bring a light to the darkness, help remove the scales from eyes blinded by learned prejudices. it was his god given mission, and he accomplished it comlpletely with honor and honesty and he, through Ennis has changed many lives, for the good, forever.  Mine is one. 

GayLee, it is wonderful to read your comment, to see that Heath as Ennis... changes us by his mission in life and acting, and more can be said by you and others,

hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 07:17:47 pm »
Raised was the thought by some who said that Heath made his role as Ennis: real!!

For such maybe Heath learned possibly by trial and error, yes nothing wrong doing so on his own, if one hears him say in a way when he talked about it... to accent sounds, certain words... more and more inner did he say about Ennis on that??

Could it be that Heath was the first actor to do that, or among the firsts in certain ways of acting?? What a tour-de-force he did, evidently!! With such skill... and such realness!!

Hugs!! P.S. There was an actress who had done a role of a blind and ... person; she became more tha heartbroken because of it! So, I suppose that Heath must have put himself in a difficult role and maybe was dire because of it, surely emotional was that charactorized role!! Such a grand and amiable actor was Heath on his mission to help us all in the World!!