Author Topic: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death  (Read 56143 times)

mvansand76

Re: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2008, 01:52:32 pm »
However, I do also believe that that tabloid media have deepened the grief by gossip and speculation.

Very well-said. Adding to the stress of being confronted with the tabloid media (to a lesser extent fortunately because I live in Europe), this discussion has caused me a lot of grief and I will therefore not be participating in it further.

All I want to say before I leave is that shortly after Heath's death I thought of the fandom and there was no doubt in my mind that the people who had been writing and/or reading RPS would discontinue reading and writing. I am so extremely disappointed in some people's faulty reasoning as to why it's OK to continue writing slash about a person who is dead and not even buried yet. And what baffles me even more is how the people who are pro-RPS are victimizing themselves. Please take a step back from what YOU want (which is continuing reading/writing these stories because you like it so much) and think of what the people you write about would want.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2008, 02:08:14 pm »
I think it's an important subject you have brought to our attention. I don't write RPS and I have read one. It ain't my cup of tea.....but I don't want to put guilt on those who do....there is also good and bad RPS, there must be, everything else is.....

It is never wrong to discuss how we treat our celebs....dead or alive...and our "ordinary" fellow human being. Ethics is a subject we should discuss more, regardless of the background. It is also a subject where there can be many "right" and "wrong"....

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2008, 02:30:11 pm »
Heath was an important symbol for one central reason -- his portrayal of Ennis.  And I think the depth of that portrayal colors the reaction we have all had to his death, mainly because of its unexpectedness.  It is in many ways (for those of us who were his fans) analogous to the death of John Lennon in the life of a Beatles fan, just as sudden and just as disturbing.  However, I do also believe that that tabloid media have deepened the grief by gossip and speculation.

However one got the news, it's a little bit like unexpectedly getting a postcard stamped "Deceased," isn't it?  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2008, 06:46:33 pm »
Everyone deals with grief in their own way, some want to cry, some want to talk, some want to listen to music, some want to tell jokes ... and some want to write.  So if it helps ease someones pain by writing a story about Heath, then so be it.

Fine, free speech and all. But that's a two-way street. Like it or not, RPS is not viewed now the way it was before January 22nd, and none of us is obligated to be so open-minded our brains fall out.

Every creative endeavor has its obstacles. People writing RPS from here on out will have to deal with negative reactions, and no amount of lecturing will change that. RPS writers will have to either live with it or do something else.

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2008, 11:09:27 am »
Heaths death doesn,t change a thing?? Did I read that right? Errr yes it does actually. The man his dead. How can you possibly even sit there and THINK about writing RPS about him now? Can you not understand that it is totally disrepectful to his memory and his family and friends? I used to read RPS, but I will never read any RPS now involving Jake and Heath. It,s WRONG. Show some respect.

This is a discussion not a lecture hour.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 12:47:23 pm by MaineWriter »
Proud Supporter, Writer, and Reader of RPS

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2008, 11:12:07 am »
Excuse me? That's beyond disturbing, IMHO. You mean you would find Heath - who is dead - looking over your shoulder and reading RPS about himself and his good friend Jake having sex, hot?

Yes and I felt that way when he was alive.

I just don't feel guilty for the things I read and write. I'm starting to think a little bit of this conversation is more about homophobia and less about the two people involved since sex is mentioned over and over and over again.

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2008, 11:13:55 am »
some sex is perverse...like necrophilia for example.

So why write DEAD!Jack fic?? Or a fic talking about having sex near something that was special to Jack?

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2008, 11:18:30 am »
Fine, free speech and all. But that's a two-way street. Like it or not, RPS is not viewed now the way it was before January 22nd, and none of us is obligated to be so open-minded our brains fall out.

Every creative endeavor has its obstacles. People writing RPS from here on out will have to deal with negative reactions, and no amount of lecturing will change that. RPS writers will have to either live with it or do something else.

No problem there, close minded people are abundant and I respect their right to be conservative.

That's fine.

But why waste your time reading if you're so against it?

Plus I guess you will have to keep that here since the mod of BBSlash has banned any harassment of RPS writers and yes the authors are aware of that and will report anyone who does such a thing. So save yourselves the trouble and keep 'discussing' things here is my advice.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2008, 11:21:01 am »
Really, I don't think this has ANYTHING to do with homophobia ! I think that dis diskussion is about how we see RPS in the light of Heath's death...
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2008, 11:29:32 am »
Heath's changed us. It changed how you feel about this, which is passionate. I don't have a problem with your belief or your choice to not read or write rps. What I do I have problem with is judgment of others for their choices. You think it's wrong and you believe it's a way to show respect. Please don't imply those who read and write rps don't.

I couldn't agree more. Perfectly said. Thank you.