Author Topic: The battle goes on in other forums...Poor Jack and Ennis, always held to a highe  (Read 3542 times)

vkm91941

We've all heard it but we all know this film  isn't about adultery. That's like saying the Story of Jesus is about prostitution.  Poor Jack and Ennis, always held to a higher standard. People resort to this adultery issue when they can't find anything else to complain about.    Maybe its time to repost this list of OTHER films and novels that won praise and acclaim, even though "adultery" either played a role or was the central theme. I can't believe hypocritical people are still obsessing about it in BBM. (Maybe they should be more upset about issues like Ennis's despicable and abusive father.) Here's the list....

Same Time Next Year
The Prince Of Tides
Unfaithful
Tomorrow Never Dies
The Firm
True Lies
Waiting To Exhale
Fatal Attraction
Enemy Of The State
Happily Ever After
The Graduate
Carnal Knowledge
Closer
Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?
Heartburn
Regarding Henry
Primary Colors
From Here To Eternity
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Double Indemnity
Black Widow
We Don't Live Here Anymore
Broadway Melody (her fiance left her for her sister - that kinda counts, right?)
The Great Ziegfeld
How Green Was My Valley
Casablanca
The Best Years of Our Lives
Hamlet
All About Eve
From Here to Eternity
The Apartment
Terms of Endearment
Out of Africa
The Last Emperor
Schindler's List
Braveheart
The English Patient
Titanic (as noted)
Shakespeare in Love
American Beauty
Chicago
The Age of Innocence
Anna Karenina
Death of a Salesman
Elmer Gantry
Babbitt
Bridges of Madison County
Crime and Punishment
The Crucible
Doctor Zhivago
David and Bathsheba
The English Patient
French Lieutenant's Woman
Madame Bovary
Rabbit Run
Terms of Endearment
The Scarlet Letter
Two Gentlemen of Verona
Wuthering Heights
Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice (1969)
Nightmare Alley (1947)
Bullets Over Broadway (1994)
Golddiggers of 1933 (1933)
Libeled Lady (1936)
Tenebrae/Unsand (1982)
Madame Satan (1930)
Posession (1981)
The Grass is Greener (1960)
Trading Places (1982)
The Happy Ending (1969)
Night of the Iguana (1964)
7 Days in May (1964)
Advise and Consent (1962)
Dangerous Liasions (1987)
Mulholland Dr. (2004)
Basic Instinct (1991)
Cabin in the Sky (1942)
Girl 6 (1996)
Love Letters (1984)
Two Faced Woman (1942)
Match Point (2005)

slayers_creek_oth

Hell even Walk the Line could 'promote adultery' as they say....granted its a biopic but one of the main themes of the film is how Johnny Cash cheated on his wife with June Carter.....so...

Many could still argue that it promoted adultery..but its funny you never heard anything about the adultery in that did you...

Thanks Vic...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Don't forget GWTWind. Of course, Scarlett committs adultery in her heart. But it was made in the late 1930's.  But if she had quit Ashley, where the feeling weren't returned, she would been a happy with her true soulmate, Rhett.  She doesn't get it until the end, when it's all too late.

Yes, some ppl like to morally pontificate on forums.  Score some points.  I wonder how many of them live in glass houses.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Yes, some ppl like to morally pontificate on forums.  Score some points.  I wonder how many of them live in glass houses.

Let's throw some stones at them and find out. 
No more beans!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
We've all heard it but we all know this film  isn't about adultery. That's like saying the Story of Jesus is about prostitution.  Poor Jack and Ennis, always held to a higher standard. People resort to this adultery issue when they can't find anything else to complain about.    Maybe its time to repost this list of OTHER films and novels that won praise and acclaim, even though "adultery" either played a role or was the central theme. I can't believe hypocritical people are still obsessing about it in BBM. (Maybe they should be more upset about issues like Ennis's despicable and abusive father.) Here's the list....

Yes, but none of the characters involved in the cheating were gay. That's the difference. It's pure homophobia.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 06:12:29 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

rtprod

Well, let's not forget my very favorite where the audience actually roots for the adulterers at the expense of a good man.  And that is:

THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this film, and it makes a good case for following your heart.  Sadly, she doesn't in that wrenching cab of the truck scene.

"What's he waiting for?"

rt
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 05:34:51 pm by rtprod »

vkm91941

Yes, but none of the characters involved in the cheating were gay. That's the difference. It's pure homophobia.

Well it's not only homophobia it's hyposcrisy.  If your against adultry for any reason than it should not matter what the gender or orientation of the adulterers.  That's my point.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Well, let's not forget my very favorite where the audience actually roots for the adulterers at the expense of a good man.  And that is:

THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY

rt

Another one along the same lines is Dr. Zhivago, although that is at the expense of a good woman (Zhivago's wife).

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!