Author Topic: SAG Awards on TNT and TBS  (Read 37919 times)

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: SAG Awards on TNT and TBS right now
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2008, 01:21:44 am »

Day-Lewis Dedicates Award to Ledger

By BETH HARRIS
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hl4dxbkJUsm0OAYCuQOiJhl_F3dQD8UELA4G0

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Daniel Day-Lewis dedicated his Screen Actors Guild Award to Heath Ledger.

Day-Lewis, who was honored Sunday as leading actor for his performance in "There Will Be Blood," gave an acceptance speech that echoed comments he made last week about Ledger, the 28-year-old Australian actor whose death stunned Hollywood, on "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

"In 'Brokeback Mountain' he was unique, he was perfect," Day-Lewis said. "That scene in the trailer at the end of the film is as moving as anything I think I've ever seen."

Backstage, the 50-year-old Day-Lewis said he never met Ledger but the actor's death was all he had been thinking about recently.

"I thought he was beautiful. I just had a very strong feeling I would have liked him very much as a man," he said. "I admired him very much. I'm absolutely certain he would have done many wonderful things in his life."

Several prescription drugs were found in the apartment where Ledger's body was found Tuesday by his masseuse. The cause of death is awaiting toxicology tests.

During the awards show religious protesters gathered across the street from the Shrine Auditorium, toting signs that read, "Heath's in Hell," a reference to his "Brokeback Mountain" role in which he portrayed a gay cowboy.

"We should leave him alone and we should leave his family alone to suffer their unimaginable grief in private, and it's not going to happen," Day-Lewis said backstage. "We should just stop encouraging people to have greater and greater interest in raking over every detail, which is none of our business anyhow."

Ledger's photo from his Oscar-nominated role in 2005's "Brokeback Mountain" closed the SAG award show's in-memoriam segment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sure hated to read the part about the protestors....

Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2008, 01:22:54 am »
Faramir. That's it. Thanks, Meryl.

(Shit. Now I'm wishing that I could see Heath play Faramir. Dear brain: stop it, ok? Just stop.)

I'm guessing that we now know at least one person who voted for Heath for the Oscar two years ago...

Heath as Faramir?  Oh my.....the mind boggles.  :P

thank you thank you thank you thank you...

my whole existence is somehow validated...  (at least my whole zombie existence of this past week)

What BelAir said.  What an unlooked for gift, balm for the wound that's yet to heal.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2008, 01:30:19 am »
During the awards show religious protesters gathered across the street from the Shrine Auditorium, toting signs that read, "Heath's in Hell," a reference to his "Brokeback Mountain" role in which he portrayed a gay cowboy.

Ah, so those sad little f**ks got their moment in the spotlight.  From the sublime (DDL) to the ridiculous.  At least Heath and his family were far away from their self-serving crap.  >:(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2008, 01:30:44 am »
TNT is showing the SAG awards again. According to my calculations, DDL will be on in a little over 20 minutes (if you want to see it on a TV).

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2008, 01:31:14 am »
Lewis coming out with this unprecedented tribute and dedication, following his comments on Oprah, as well as some rather man-crushy comments by John Travolta earlier this week - are we seeing the revelation of Hollywood Brokies?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2008, 02:19:34 am »
Daniel Day Lewis is a very fine actor in his own right, very much in the same mold as Heath.  He shuns Hollywood and publicity, he lives in Ireland and works as a carpenter between acting jobs and is very picky about his roles.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being
My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown
The Crucible
In the Name of the Father
The Age of Innocence
The Last of the Mohicans
Gangs of New York
A Room with a View
My Beautiful Laundrette

I believe they would have been friends as well.  Those heart felt comments coming from him are a treasure. 
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2008, 02:28:59 am »
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2008, 03:12:22 am »
Daniel Day Lewis is a very fine actor in his own right, very much in the same mold as Heath.  He shuns Hollywood and publicity, he lives in Ireland and works as a carpenter between acting jobs and is very picky about his roles.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being
My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown
The Crucible
In the Name of the Father
The Age of Innocence
The Last of the Mohicans
Gangs of New York
A Room with a View
My Beautiful Laundrette

I believe they would have been friends as well.  Those heart felt comments coming from him are a treasure. 

It was so moving to hear him talk about Heath. I'm crying again. :'(
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2008, 03:16:07 am »
DDL acceptance speach!  Thank you BayCityJohn for posting this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WIZ1cIxrrw

A very heartfelt thank you to Eric for posting and to John for putting it on youtube. Being European, I have no other choice than to hope someone will put it online.
(I would also like to see the memorial sequence, so if anyone comes across it, please post the link here.)

DDL is my hero today. I'm so thankful to him for this. It really means a lot, I think to all of us.

This reminds me so much of the awards season two years ago... When BBM and Heath and Jake were honored so often ... when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong (thanks Laura) ....
God, how I wish I could see their faces somewhere in the crowd this year ....

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2008, 05:08:09 am »
A very heartfelt thank you to Eric for posting and to John for putting it on youtube. Being European, I have no other choice than to hope someone will put it online.
(I would also like to see the memorial sequence, so if anyone comes across it, please post the link here.)

DDL is my hero today. I'm so thankful to him for this. It really means a lot, I think to all of us.

I second this. Do I ever!

I'm so happy it's out on YouTube, otherwise we'd never get to see that. I was sleeping more easily tonight than any night since I heard the news. I think it must have been DDL vibes doing it. That was a wonderful, moving tribute, - sincerely recounting memories of how Heath's best roles impacted him since he's got no memories of him in RL, and it was so sincere and so perfect. And so honest - he had no reason at all, - especially not DDL who is as far removed from the ordinary celebrity hoopla as it's possible to get - to speak about Heath, exept out of honest admiration.

Thank you Daniel Day Lewis.

Combined with Chris Nolan's in memorian article in Newsweek, equally sincere and low-key though filled with actual  memories of Heath.... skateboarding into set in his woolen cap...  I feel that Heath is finally getting the respect and tributes he deserves after the indignified, horrid media coverage of the first few days.

Thak you again for putting DDL's acceptance speech up on YouTube. I'm off to watch it again. With tears in my eyes.