Author Topic: SAG Awards on TNT and TBS  (Read 37912 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: SAG Awards on TNT and TBS
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2008, 01:56:17 am »
Both My Beautiful Laundrette and A Room with a View opened weeks (if not days) apart in early 1986 in New York (View was in the Paris Theater across from the Plaza). Twenty-two years later, I cannot remember which one of the two films I saw first, but I do remember the 'O' I made with my mouth when, half-way through the second film, I suddenly figured out that the same actor playing 'Johnny' in Laundrette was also playing 'Cecil Vyse' in View.

O. M. Gawd, I thought, what an actor--

What's weirder (and sadder) is--those films were made in 1985, when Daniel Day-Lewis was--yes--28 years old.

Heath was 28.

(Both DDL and Heath were both born in April, too.)

I'm maundering. But you know what I mean, I think.

Like you said on the Broome Street thread, John, there are circles and circles. 

I can't help but feel that Daniel Day-Lewis was seeing his younger self in Heath, glad to recognize another serious artist in the making.  In a way, his grief over the loss of Heath at such a young age has echoes of a father losing his son---in this case his spiritual son.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2008, 02:07:46 am »
I would like get everyone of these people together in one room and.. love the hate right out of them...

I'd rather take my chances in a room full of rattlesnakes.

However, while I think I understand your desire to help them, Br. Patrick, I agree with Meryl.  People need a reason to hate.  Their reason, more than likely a good measure of homophobia blessed with more than a good amount of misguided ignorance mixed religious conviction, is one of the strongest kinds of venom (hate).

We can't change them with love any more than they can change us with hate. 

But we can wisely accept them as they are, like accepting rattlesnakes.  Most earthly creatures, except those that eat them, stay out of striking range and move quickly away without hesitation.   

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2008, 02:08:57 am »
Meryl. Yes. Exactly.

Gosh, I am so old.

I will be 54 years old--guess--in April.

Gah.

Nevermind.

(Can you imagine if the Phelps crew ever figures out that DD-L played a gay punk with leather jacket, chains and yellow dyed hair, who schtupped a Pakistani yuppy kid in Laundrette !?? And they become Lovers and Live Happily Ever After!?? Oh my--)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:10:32 am by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2008, 09:29:10 am »
Yes, I've been thinking the same thing. (Any sleuths have their addresses for sending them fan mail?)

I love it when I am given a job!

Cate Blanchett
Wolf-Kasteler Public Relations
335 North Maple Drive
Suite 351
Beverly Hills, CA 90210-3857
USA

or:

Cate Blanchett
RGM Associates
PO Box 128
Surry Hills, NSW 2010
Australia

Ryan Gosling
1118 15th St #1
Santa Monica CA 90403
USA

or:

Ryan Gosling
c/o IFA Talent Agency
8730 Sunset Blvd.
Suite 490
Los Angeles, CA 90069
USA

Daniel Day-Lewis
c/o Gene Parseghian
Parseghian Planco LLC
23 East 22nd Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10010
USA

or:

Daniel Day-Lewis
William Morris Agency NY
1325 Avenue of the Americas
New York, New York 10019
USA

Leslie
News Sleuth on the job!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2008, 01:55:06 pm »
We should send our thanks to Daniel Day Lewis, Ryan Gosling, Cate Blanchett and whoever else helped in keeping Heath's memory alive.

I've been searching in vain trying to find what, specifically, Cate Blanchett and Ryan Gosling did/said.  I don't doubt it - I just like to read the tasteful and heartfelt tributes wherever I can find them.  Thanks in advance.
No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2008, 02:12:14 pm »
I've been searching in vain trying to find what, specifically, Cate Blanchett and Ryan Gosling did/said.  I don't doubt it - I just like to read the tasteful and heartfelt tributes wherever I can find them.  Thanks in advance.

I don't know that Ryan Gosling said much, but he wore a black ribbon on his lapel in honor of Heath.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2008, 03:41:39 pm »
From E! Online:

Backstage Report: The Battle Over Heath
3:45 p.m. PT:  The SAGs honor Heath Ledger tonight. I trust and hope it'll be as heartfelt as Jason Sedillo's tribute.

I met Jason outside the Shrine, where I was interviewing a protester who was holding the cruelest sign I had ever seen. It read "Heath in Hell."

Sedillo stood beside the young woman, Jael Phelps, of the notoriously antigay Westboro Baptist Church, of Topeka, Kansas, with his own sign. It read "I'm sorry for them/R.I.P. Heath."

Sedillo was sorry. I was inspired.

On Friday night, Sedillo told me, he read that Westboro Baptist was planning to picket the SAGs, Heath and his work in Brokeback Mountain.

Right then and there in Fort Worth, Texas, where Sedillo serves as a church youth minister, the 30-year-old decided to plunk down $800, fly to Los Angeles and show up at the SAGs himself. With his own sign. To say he's sorry for something he wouldn't dream of saying himself.

To be honest, Sedillo's sign wasn't much of a sign—it was a little dry-erase board, and his message was scribbled in green ink. The passengers in the passing limos probably couldn't even see it.

"Here's a guy," Sedillo said of Ledger, "who didn't do anything but perform in movies."

But that was enough. As was Sedillo's sign.

Give that guy a pat on the back.  ;D
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2008, 05:53:27 pm »
  I'd rather take my chances in a room full of rattlesnakes.

However, while I think I understand your desire to help them, Br. Patrick, I agree with Meryl.  People need a reason to hate.  Their reason, more than likely a good measure of homophobia blessed with more than a good amount of misguided ignorance mixed religious conviction, is one of the strongest kinds of venom (hate).

We can't change them with love any more than they can change us with hate. 

But we can wisely accept them as they are, like accepting rattlesnakes.  Most earthly creatures, except those that eat them, stay out of striking range and move quickly away without hesitation.   

Agree completely.  Nothing we do is going to change them.  THEY have to want to change.  Heck and sometimes even when homophobes do change, they don't always change completely.  Friend of mine is a homophobe.  One year, he had a serious operation and was down and out for six weeks, laid up at home recuperating.  I had lent him a bunch of books to read during his convalescence, but I never bothered to go see him (we were not that close at the time).  The only people who went to visit him was a gay co-worker and his lover.

He was very touched.  After that, he liked this guy a lot, hung out with him, thinks the world of him...but he still thinks being gay is a perversion, that gays should not be married or have equal rights and that they should be kept away from children.  Having a good experience with a gay person changed nothing about his homophobia.  He believes what he believes and to change this particular facet of it would cause him to doubt his other beliefs and he doesn't want to do that.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2008, 11:25:30 pm »
I love it when I am given a job!

Cate Blanchett
Wolf-Kasteler Public Relations
335 North Maple Drive
Suite 351
Beverly Hills, CA 90210-3857
USA

or:

Cate Blanchett
RGM Associates
PO Box 128
Surry Hills, NSW 2010
Australia

Ryan Gosling
1118 15th St #1
Santa Monica CA 90403
USA

or:

Ryan Gosling
c/o IFA Talent Agency
8730 Sunset Blvd.
Suite 490
Los Angeles, CA 90069
USA

Daniel Day-Lewis
c/o Gene Parseghian
Parseghian Planco LLC
23 East 22nd Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10010
USA

or:

Daniel Day-Lewis
William Morris Agency NY
1325 Avenue of the Americas
New York, New York 10019
USA

Leslie
News Sleuth on the job!

Good job, Leslie!! And you're fast too!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2008, 09:57:01 am »
Good job, Leslie!! And you're fast too!!

Fast...gold standard of a true news sleuth!

Thanks for compliment, Shasta!

L