Author Topic: BBM DVD WATCHING Habits and Reactions: THINKIN' OUT LOUD... POWERFUL FILM SCENES  (Read 15175 times)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..

On the Silence of the Lambs theme...

One unforgettable moment for me was the part toward the end where Lecter reaches the file through the bars and she grabs it and he just slides his index finger over hers.  That one gesture had more genuine chemistry than 90% of sex scenes in movies today.
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
On the Silence of the Lambs theme...

One unforgettable moment for me was the part toward the end where Lecter reaches the file through the bars and she grabs it and he just slides his index finger over hers.  That one gesture had more genuine chemistry than 90% of sex scenes in movies today.

Absolutely.  I couldn't agree more.  And I'm a student of genuine chemistry from way back.  It's so rare in movies, and nothing irritates me more in film (besides being patronized) than leads who are supposed to have chemistry... not having it.

That said, I keep coming back to this:  The reunion scene is *by far* the most erotic love scene I have ever seen put to film.  I know this because of what it, uh, causes in me every time I see it.  I've felt variations of it upon seeing a few others in my tenure, but nothing even remotely like that.  As belbbmfan mentioned in the publicity shots thread - Ennis knocking off Jack's hat so he can get closer to him, their hands, the grappling at each others' shirts and faces, the intensity of expression, the throwing of each other against the wall - GAH.  Nobody, and I mean *nobody* does it better.

Shite.  Time for another imaginary smoke break.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
And I'm a student of genuine chemistry from way back.  It's so rare in movies, and nothing irritates me more in film (besides being patronized) than leads who are supposed to have chemistry... not having it.

That said, I keep coming back to this:  The reunion scene is *by far* the most erotic love scene I have ever seen put to film.

Hey Barb, I agree with you that the reunion scene is by far the most erotic on film ... that is, unless Tent Scene 2 is the most erotic ever on film. One or the other. Really, I have tried over these past few months to think of any scenes in other movies that even come close to these and can't.

If I can't think of any other movie as sad, and also can't think of any movie as sexy, I guess that explains why I'm here.

Back to chemistry for a sec. I don't want to go too OT, but Barb, you should start a thread about who in your studies you've found most lacks it. My vote would be Nick Nolte and Julia Roberts in that movie whose name I can't recall but it's something in first person. I love Nick Nolte and I'm fine with Julia, but together they made me cringe so much I could hardly look at the screen.

rtprod

And here's another powerful movie scene:

Miranda Richardson's breakdown at the end of Damage, confronting adulterous husband Jeremy Irons on his fling with Juliette Binoche, the fiance of their son Rupert Graves, who has just been accidentally killed after discovering the secret.

This scene vaults Louis Malle's film into something nearly Shakespearean in its tragedy. 

rt
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 12:33:10 pm by rtprod »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Back to chemistry for a sec. I don't want to go too OT, but Barb, you should start a thread about who in your studies you've found most lacks it. My vote would be Nick Nolte and Julia Roberts in that movie whose name I can't recall but it's something in first person. I love Nick Nolte and I'm fine with Julia, but together they made me cringe so much I could hardly look at the screen.

Could you be talking about  *shudders that she even KNOWS it*  "I Love Trouble". Wasn't it just awful? Oh god, I needed to shower after sitting through it.
Chut up!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Could you be talking about  *shudders that she even KNOWS it*  "I Love Trouble". Wasn't it just awful? Oh god, I needed to shower after sitting through it.

YES! I think it's the all-time worst onscreen chemistry. BTW, Barb DID start a thread, I think in "Anything Goes."

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
I love the chemistry discussion. I've been trying to think of other films where the protagonists radiate something close to the level of what Jack and Ennis do in their scenes together, but there really aren't that many that spring to mind. Some of the Hollywood classics, perhaps. Neither is it to be seen in the various Heath Ledger/Jake Gyllenhaal movies I've watched by now.

I think that by chance and grace and actor/director dedication, BBM ended up a one shot thing in the chemistry department.

Chemistry cannot be fully defined or explained, but perhaps the fact that it's so obviously there betweeen Jack and Ennis  is one small part of the reason why interviewers could *never* stop with their inane questions about the kissing that the acors had to endure in each and every interview.

Now, about powerful film scenes..... I know this is not the kind of scene the thread is asking for, but take the closing scene of A Knight's Tale. The hero has overcome every obstacle and has gotten his girl, and they're kissing in the middle of the arena with all the spectators cheering them and while the camera swoops around them. I don't think it's an especially powerful or unusual scene until I do some fantasy alterations to it: Substituting the jousting arena for a rodeo arena, making the cheering spectators put on cowboy hats, and then substituting Shannyn Sossamon's midieval lady character with a young Jack Twist in his black hat. Now that's a fairy-tale happy ending scene that would have made an impression and that I sure *wouldn't* have minded getting to see just *once*, to offset the devastating impact of the real and perfect BBM.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good

We can dare to dream, Mikaela..  *sighs happily at the thought*

If you do happen to think of some good movie chemistry, then head on over to the "Anything Goes" forum - we've got a good discussion going there about good and failed chemistry..

;D
Chut up!