Author Topic: Laughter Through Tears Is My Favorite Emotion  (Read 11898 times)

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
Laughter Through Tears Is My Favorite Emotion
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:35:14 pm »
True story here.  Last year I was studying music theory, really basic stuff like staffs and clefs and Every Good Boy Does Fine (which I confuse with All Boys Taste Good or something like that). 

One day, my teacher (who's a friend) and I were reviewing some stuff. 

She asked me what the additional lines used to extend notes beyond the staff were called.  I correctly answered, “Leger lines,” and she said, “Keith,” and I said, “Huh?”, and she said, “Keith!” and I said, “What?” and she said “KEITH!” and I said, “I’m sorry, but I don't understand,” and she said, “KEITH LEDGER!” and I said, “Oh!  I get it!” 

And I laughed and laughed. . . at her, not with her.  This, from the woman with whom I saw “Brokeback Mountain” AND “Casanova.”  Bless her heart. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Laughter Through Tears Is My Favorite Emotion
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:53:18 am »
 :laugh:

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 02:19:30 am »
As Chanterais said in the Malaysian Subtitles thread, "Ah, the sweet, simple joy of laughing at people."  :)

(All Boys Taste Good :laugh:)

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 02:44:59 am »
Oh, Malaysian Subtitles. That was one of my favorite threads of all time. I was about to go to bed, but now I have to go read that thread right now.  :D

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 02:45:43 am »
This just occurred to me.  The friend I told about is in SAG.  She was complaining to me that one of her fellow SAG members was chosen to be on the award nominating committee and how that friend slept through the movies (when she went at all).  My friend thought she should be on that committee since she took it all so seriously and went to see every screening she possibly could.  

It was probably just as well for Heath.  With her on the committee, he wouldn't have been nominated for anything.  But Keith Ledger might've sweep the awards!  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 05:41:23 am by smellykellyjay »
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 04:35:51 am »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 09:55:48 am »
True story here.  Last year I was studying music theory, really basic stuff like staffs and clefs and Every Good Boy Does Fine (which I confuse with All Boys Taste Good or something like that). 

Boy, you brought back a memory that I haven't thought of for years and years.

My grandmother taught piano. And she tried to teach me piano, for a very long time, until she gave up and realized it was hopeless. She was always amazed that I learned to type.

Anyway, she said it as Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge and I always said, "Why is it only the boys who get the fudge?" LOL

Thanks for helping me remember, Kelly...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 02:37:28 pm »
Kelly  :laugh:

I just added to the number of people Googling for Keith Ledger, just to see what comes up.  ;D

I feel sorry for anyone who might actually be named Keith Ledger, because he will not have the satisfaction of finding himself linked to online!  I looked at the first 21 pages, then skipped to page 30, then to page 39 of the listings, where I finally found a mathematics textbook authored by one Keith Pledger.  All the rest of the links were to Heath, or sometimes to Keith Urban or Toby Keith.  One was to an article in a paper called The Ledger about a couple with a gay son who was attacked.  To all the Keith Ledgers out there, I feel your pain.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 07:57:42 pm »
I learned it as "Every Good Boy Deserves Favor."

Scott6373

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 07:58:39 pm »
I was from the "Does Fine" school of bad piano teachers...LOL

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 08:13:54 pm »
I feel we might have a "are you a squirter or a dipper" discussion coming on here....

LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 09:09:15 pm »

One day, my teacher (who's a friend) and I were reviewing some stuff. ...

And I laughed and laughed. . . at her, not with her.  . 

:laugh: :laugh:  Thanks for sharing that Kelly.  That felt good. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 09:38:50 pm »
I learned Every Good Boy Does Fine also.

And it took me a while to find it, but here's the Malaysian Subtitles thread, for anyone who's interested. http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,478.0.html

Offline Julie

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 11:09:47 pm »
That thread is hilarious!! I couldn't stop laughing for at least ten minutes. Thank you so much for posting it!  :laugh:

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 02:19:49 am »
I feel we might have a "are you a squirter or a dipper" discussion coming on here....

Huh? 

What?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. 

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 02:30:13 am »
Huh? 

What?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. 

I think it's a reference to a thread a while back that had nothing to do with this.  It was about how one prefers having one's french fries meet the ketchup, squirting or dipping.  Some people had a lot to say on the subject.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 09:37:53 am »

I think it's a reference to a thread a while back that had nothing to do with this.  It was about how one prefers having one's french fries meet the ketchup, squirting or dipping.  Some people had a lot to say on the subject.

Yes, that was what I was remembering. Sorry for not being clearer, Kelly. It's the type of thread that I think you could spice up with a little bit of your own special brand of humor. LOL....

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,13599.0.html

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 12:16:50 pm »

One day, my teacher (who's a friend) and I were reviewing some stuff. 

She asked me what the additional lines used to extend notes beyond the staff were called.  I correctly answered, “Leger lines,” and she said, “Keith,” and I said, “Huh?”, and she said, “Keith!” and I said, “What?” and she said “KEITH!” and I said, “I’m sorry, but I don't understand,” and she said, “KEITH LEDGER!” and I said, “Oh!  I get it!” 

And I laughed and laughed. . . at her, not with her.  This, from the woman with whom I saw “Brokeback Mountain” AND “Casanova.”  Bless her heart. 

:laugh:  :laugh:

Did you know that 'Keith Fletcher' was the name he was signed in under when he stayed with the rest of the crew in the Red Coat Inn Motel in Fort Macleod?
I read that on findingbrokeback.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 07:22:35 pm »
Every good boy deserves fun and FACE for me

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Scott6373

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 08:13:09 pm »
Every good boy deserves fun and FACE for me

Oh Kel...the places I could go with that...LOL

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 04:56:27 am »
:laugh:  :laugh:

Did you know that 'Keith Fletcher' was the name he was signed in under when he stayed with the rest of the crew in the Red Coat Inn Motel in Fort Macleod?
I read that on findingbrokeback.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 06:05:33 pm »

:laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 06:26:17 pm »
This may be totally out of line, but please bear with me if so. It's been a strange, long week....

Now Katherine (Ineedcrayons) has as her sig line: "....if the coffee pot is true, so is the other."

While reading the latest discussion here about that disgusting 2006 video trying to make Heath incriminate himself, and about all the speculation in the media concerning possible use of hard drugs, etc....  I happened to read the sig line and my brain was evidently still very coloured by the drugs discussion: I honestly did a double-take, eyes wide, when for one split second I read the sig as 

"....if the pot is true, so is the other."

:o  ::)

I had to re-read to realize the missing word was actually there.  :-X

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 07:45:35 am »
Boy, you brought back a memory that I haven't thought of for years and years.

My grandmother taught piano. And she tried to teach me piano, for a very long time, until she gave up and realized it was hopeless. She was always amazed that I learned to type.

Anyway, she said it as Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge and I always said, "Why is it only the boys who get the fudge?" LOL

Thanks for helping me remember, Kelly...

L

When I went to school (waaaaay back in the 1820s!!!), we were taught Every Good Boy Deserves FRUIT - probably referring to the boys who inhabited the music room with me in those days!!!  ;)  :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 08:59:05 pm »
When I went to school (waaaaay back in the 1820s!!!), we were taught Every Good Boy Deserves FRUIT - probably referring to the boys who inhabited the music room with me in those days!!!  ;)  :laugh:

we used every good boy deserves fun.

B is for boy!  ;)

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 02:18:42 pm »
actually, the more common acronym was:

every good boy does fine

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 08:59:55 pm »
Yes, that was what I was remembering. Sorry for not being clearer, Kelly. It's the type of thread that I think you could spice up with a little bit of your own special brand of humor. LOL....

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,13599.0.html

Thanks for the invitation, but I'm going to have to take a pass.  I can't hardly keep up with the threads I've started or posted in.  It's taken me a week to get back to this one!  I'm a dipper though. 

Why does that make me think of "Hee Haw," where Buck Owens was a pickin' and Roy Clark was a grinnin'?  I'm a dippin'!  And I'm a squirtin'! 

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 09:01:06 pm »

I'm so dumb.  At first I thought you were speaking to me, and I was like, "Well, let me get you a map, darlin'." 

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 09:07:24 pm »
I'm tickled that this thread got such a positive reaction.  You're welcome for my original post, and thank you for continuing the fun, caring and sharing and such.  To quote another Steel Magnolia, "Things were gettin' entirely too serious for a moment.  We needed to laugh." 

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 09:25:32 pm »
You deserve a breakfast burrito and a chocolate cherry
Dr. Pepper!  :P  ;)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 09:51:13 pm »

Thanks for the invitation, but I'm going to have to take a pass.  I can't hardly keep up with the threads I've started or posted in.  It's taken me a week to get back to this one!  I'm a dipper though. 

Why does that make me think of "Hee Haw," where Buck Owens was a pickin' and Roy Clark was a grinnin'?  I'm a dippin'!  And I'm a squirtin'! 

We found, in our ultra-scientific survey, the vast majority of folks around here were dippers....

just so you know.

L