Author Topic: A Special Greeting to Our Australian Friends Joining Us In Mourning...  (Read 8925 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
'Mouk,' one of our residents, placed these flowers at the filming location of 'Brokeback Mountain' - Campsite #2, located in Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada to express her feelings about the loss of Heath.
To Our Friends From Australia

Gidday mate! Welcome to BetterMost.  Come on in, pull up a log, the billy's boiling, and the beans are heatin' up. I am an Aussie too, and I've been waiting for more of us to find their way to BetterMost.

You've probably found your way here because of the tragedy that hit us all, last week. That's ok, you will find plenty of good listeners in here, if you want to let out what you are feeling. You will also get lots of hugs and a lot of comfort from threads that have been set up to help us deal with our grief for our dear Heath.

We proudly call ourselves "Brokies" because we came to BetterMost when we were searching for others who were changed and affected by the movie Brokeback Mountain. By sharing our stories, discussing the movie and talking about our experiences we have not only continued to marvel at the phenomenon of the story and film, but we have also created a community of lifelong friendships and a genuine caring and support for each other.

I'm sure as you read through the posts, you will be amazed at the stories of the pilgrimages to Wyoming and Alberta, the personal blogs of "Brokies" who share their day to day happenings, the heartfelt stories from those who found strength after viewing the movie.  You will also find sites dedicated to Heath and Jake, sites dedicated to all facets of the movie, both tender and humourous, in fact there's not much in here that we don't talk about.

Most of all, you will find that you are welcomed. Don't feel shy about adding your comments to the threads; get in there and "spill your guts." Don't worry about the "language barrier." If they don't know what you mean, they will damn sure tell you, and they usually get a giggle out of our "Australianisms."

So once again, welcome. Enjoy the journey with us. It's one that you will never forget or ever want to leave.

Sue/"Katie77"

Here are some useful links to BetterMost content:
Published in 'The West' newspaper - Western Australia     
   Latest News & Developments Regarding Heath
     (This Forum) Heath Ledger - Our Community Grieves Together     
     Heath Ledger Video/Audio News & Developments (Broadband Users)
     Heath Ledger - The Grieving Thread
     "Brokeback Cult: The New Testament"
     A Visit to Heath's Memorial Outside His NY City Apartment at 421 Broome Street

Heath Ledger Fan Topics
     Heath Heath Heath     
     "I LOVE Everything Heath" Thread
     "I LOVE Everything Ennis" Thread

Information About BetterMost, Our Journeys, & Brokeback Mountain
     A Brief Introduction to BetterMost
     BetterMost Brokeback Mountain Open Forum - Discussions About the Story & Film
     BetterMost Residents Visit Brokeback Mountain filming location "Campsite #2."

Other Items of Interest
     View a large size picture of Mouk's Special Tribute to Heath Ledger at a filming location for Brokeback Mountain.

BetterMost Residents: Please feel free to add your thoughts and special wishes to our newest friends from Down Under at this difficult time.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 03:22:34 am by Phillip Dampier »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: A Special Greeting to Our Australian Friends Joining Us In Mourning...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 07:02:05 am »
Hello to all our new Australian visitors. I am Kerry. I live in Sydney. If you have any questions about BetterMost or anything to do with Brokeback Mountain, do not hesitate to contact me by clicking the "Quote" box at the top right of this message. I will do my very best to answer your queries. If you have a question I cannot answer, I will certainly know someone here at BetterMost who can provide you with a response.

Welcome!  :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 05:28:53 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:13:02 am »
 :) :) :) :) :)

G'day. It's good to see you here. Thanks for visiting from Australia.

Be sure that you will receive a very warm BetterMost welcome.
They're a great bunch.

In here, you will find discussion of Brokeback Mountain and how it has affected people's lives, and just about everything else under the sun.
Humour, sharing experiences, understanding, tips and photographs; you name it. (And they give lots of hugs, too).

BetterMost really does feel like a community. A family that welcomes everyone for whom Brokeback Mountain is a catalyst for reflection, understanding and reaching out.

Enjoy.

Rob (Sydney).  :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 01:10:28 pm »
A big welcome to our new Aussie visitors!  And a big thank-you to Katie77, Kerry and underdown for helping us roll out the welcome mat, as well as to our latest Aussie member, Peachy, who helped organize the printing of a condolence message from all of us to the Ledger family.  :-*

In the two years since Brokeback Mountain entered our lives, we've evolved into a big, varied, expressive community here.  Created by Phillip Dampier to serve as a place where people could process their emotional reactions to that unique film, BetterMost has grown along with its members and now addresses all manner of topics that interest us.  Thanks to his vision and compassion, we can honestly say, along with Ennis del Mar, that "there's no reins on this one."  :)

So pull up a log, mates!  I hope you'll stay for supper.  8)

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 03:06:14 pm »
Welcome to BetterMost, a very special place on the Internet.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 03:33:42 pm »
Welcome to our brothers and sisters from down under.
We sure are glad you have stopped in.
I wish it were happier times but they will come again.
Heath touched us all and we all share the same grief.
Please look around and read our stories and do share your own!
You are among friends!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Peachy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 06:52:35 pm »
Welcome fellow Aussies! :k  (And thank you for the great intro, Katie and Sue).   There are some nice folks here if you want to stay and pull up or a pew, or just read some of the beautiful tributes for Our Heath.  *passes out the Akubras* 

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 02:44:15 am »

I would like to add another welcome to you that i may have missed in the beginning of your
entrance here.  I am most happy to have you join us as we are trying to recover from the sad
tragedy this week.  i am sure you will as others have said find lovely warm and friendly people here.
They too have the same feelings that you share because as we have learned from this experience
over the last two years.  We are all a family, no matter how farflung our residences are.
      We are Brokies, Not born brothers and sisters, but we are joined at the heart.  A love that
never dies.  We are glad that you have found your way to us.  And will find a home on the internet.
A place you can come daily or monthly or however often you feel the call.  And know that you are among
friends that understand how you feel.  And care about it.   Good to see you............janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 03:08:01 pm »
Welcome Ozzies - my nake is Kelda and I love in Scotland - we're not all yanks here as the posters before me have shown!

The visitors here are the silver lining to Heath's untimely dark cloud.

:-*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 10:11:43 pm »

to all our new friends and members...
Welcome to BetterMost
we're so glad you're here

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 01:50:22 am »
Welcome to our Aussie Friends.

Here are a few words to explain the flowers in the snow on the tribute photo which may be somewhat puzzling to them.

After a deeply moving visit of the filming sites in July with the Bettermost ‘Pilgrimage’ I had planned to return to Alberta for my second BBM anniversary, on January 26th, to be ‘closer to Ennis and Jack’ who have done so much for me and many of us. Little did I know that it would be in tears that I would walk down Ennis’s fight hill on my way to the Camp where they were once flying in the euphoric, bitter air, suspended above ordinary affairs.

It was a glorious afternoon, the snow was glittering, so pure, covering the bridge, the spot where they had embraced, the fire area, the mountains all around. The river was full of life, flowing fast between its icy banks.  Close to where Ennis had set up the tent, I found a spot sheltered from the wind and from non Brokie eyes. There I put spring flowers for hope and also live flowers because Heath will live within us as long as we are alive. We owe him so much ! The colours were among those he seemed to like : orange, yellow and red – those of a  sunset. Or a sunrise. The bridge was visible in the distance as Heath would have seen it from the tent, the only sounds were the wind, the river and chirping birds. There was such peace and beauty, and something so special in the air and in the light, I would not be surprised if Heath was hovering, smiling over what he had done for us.

I spent a long time there with him, remembering what he had given us ; remembering also the happy times spent in this Camp with fellow Brokies in the summer. And thanking Heath on behalf of all of us. As I was lost in my thoughts I suddenly had the eerie feeling that something was happening : the live flowers were slowly turning away from the light, towards the cut tulips and bending over them - the living taking care of the one whose life was cut too short.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 08:24:35 am »
Thank you Mouk....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 12:16:14 pm »
Mouk, thank you for doing this and for sharing it with us through your beautiful picture and your touching words.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 12:26:09 pm »
Thank you Mouk for making this very special tribute to Heath and for making us all a part of it.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 09:49:18 pm »
Mouk -

Your description is as beautiful as the picture you posted of it!

Thank you!   :-*

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 10:14:35 pm »

I'll just echo what's been said here already... mouk, that's such a lovely description.  Thank you so much.  :-*

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 03:41:09 pm »
Awww Mouk,
The tears are flowing again!
That was such a beautiful description.
I felt like I was there. I'm quite sure Heath was there.
I love that you planted flowers there!
Tell ya what! When the next pilgrimage is made in '09, I think it owul dbe cool if everyone would bring some sort of seeds,bulbs or cuttings that could be planted and maybe fill the whole area with flowers in memory of heath and what happened there. I think it would be ecspecially cool if someone could get some Irisis from Lightning Flat and take there.
Maybe silly to some but I thnk it would be beautiful. Mouks Daffodils will be the first! ;D

Welcome to our Aussie Friends.

Here are a few words to explain the flowers in the snow on the tribute photo which may be somewhat puzzling to them.

After a deeply moving visit of the filming sites in July with the Bettermost ‘Pilgrimage’ I had planned to return to Alberta for my second BBM anniversary, on January 26th, to be ‘closer to Ennis and Jack’ who have done so much for me and many of us. Little did I know that it would be in tears that I would walk down Ennis’s fight hill on my way to the Camp where they were once flying in the euphoric, bitter air, suspended above ordinary affairs.

It was a glorious afternoon, the snow was glittering, so pure, covering the bridge, the spot where they had embraced, the fire area, the mountains all around. The river was full of life, flowing fast between its icy banks.  Close to where Ennis had set up the tent, I found a spot sheltered from the wind and from non Brokie eyes. There I put spring flowers for hope and also live flowers because Heath will live within us as long as we are alive. We owe him so much ! The colours were among those he seemed to like : orange, yellow and red – those of a  sunset. Or a sunrise. The bridge was visible in the distance as Heath would have seen it from the tent, the only sounds were the wind, the river and chirping birds. There was such peace and beauty, and something so special in the air and in the light, I would not be surprised if Heath was hovering, smiling over what he had done for us.

I spent a long time there with him, remembering what he had given us ; remembering also the happy times spent in this Camp with fellow Brokies in the summer. And thanking Heath on behalf of all of us. As I was lost in my thoughts I suddenly had the eerie feeling that something was happening : the live flowers were slowly turning away from the light, towards the cut tulips and bending over them - the living taking care of the one whose life was cut too short.

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 11:48:39 pm »
Thanks Mouk for sharing the beautiful picture and the beautiful description with us and our beloved Heath's family and friends.

Debbie

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 06:42:17 pm »

Mouk

I just cant say how beautiful your picture, your flowers, and your sentiment is.

Simply Thank You...

Beautiful mind

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 08:26:26 am »
Gasp that this is so melancholy, and yet so loving!  I somehow do not feel so alone.  That others might feel this way, as do I.  Bless you mouk.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 08:02:07 pm »
"the live flowers were slowly turning away from the light, towards the cut tulips and bending over them - the living taking care of the one whose life was cut too short."

That is really beautiful, Mouk.  And fitting, too, considering it was Heath who suggested wrapping Jack's shirt inside Ennis' for the final trailer scene.  He understood what it was to do that, too.

Thank you for that.

No more beans!