Author Topic: Heath Ledger in his own Words  (Read 184679 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Heath Ledger in his own Words
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2008, 02:01:21 pm »
This one is in its entirety.  Ostensibly about The Brothers Grimm, the interviewer gets around to talking about Brokeback Mountain which hadn't been released yet.  Matt Damon takes the lead in the interview (he was the bigger star.)  The interaction between Damon and Ledger is amusing, and we find out the name of someone who turned down a chance to star in Brokeback.  I've added commentary toward the end in red.

Thanks for posting this one Bruce.  Heath seems to have made a friend in Matt Damon who - like Jake - also 'ran block' for him whenever he needed help in interviews.  Heath seems to have brought out the protectiveness in his friends and colleagues.  You go, Matt.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2008, 01:02:39 am »
Bob Dylan "I'm Not There" comments:  Heath and others

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie"value="
&rel=1&border=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2008, 02:02:37 am »
'I enjoyed working with Billy Bob Thornton in Monster's Ball, in the scene where he smacks me around in the bathroom."

''I enjoyed that, because he really hit me, you know? I like when people take it to that point. I remember it being an adrenaline rush.''  EW Sept 29, 2006
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2008, 02:32:36 am »
On the film "Brokeback Mountain":

"I feel like I've never been in a film that people have liked before."

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2008, 02:36:29 am »
Wonderful thread!  thanks for all you work, Bruce.   :)
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2008, 03:15:49 am »
"I'm lucky in a sense because I have a job where I get to scream and cry."  "I get to purge myself in ways that don't really affect me personally."  Chicago Sun-Times,  Nov 18, 2007
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 07:32:39 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2008, 03:22:55 am »
"There’s two sides to Ang’s direction - there’s the pre-production, which is incredibly thorough and private, and then there’s the shooting side, when he just doesn’t say anything at all. Nothing. If you haven’t done your homework - too bad. It was clear that the shooting time was his time to create."

"He’s also very set in his ways. He prepares you so much that he doesn’t cloud you with direction. There are not many instructions; it’s always just crisp and clear. He also doesn’t patronise you by slapping you on the back after every scene and saying ‘that was great, that was great… let’s try one more.’

"In fact, he never compliments you at all. Yet, it makes you try harder - and you do end up doing better."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 07:30:10 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2008, 03:25:23 am »
"I wouldn’t have cast me as [Jack]. I personally, enjoyed the complexity of Ennis, the lack of words he had to express himself, his inability to love. I liked how masculine he was going to be. I liked that he was a homophobic guy that falls in love with another man. I just don’t think I could’ve played Jack."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 07:28:59 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2008, 03:26:34 am »
"Because he was so clenched as a person, I wanted my mouth to be clenched. Whenever words came out - they had to be punching their way out."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 07:24:15 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2008, 03:28:43 am »
"You can’t think that far ahead when you’re making something. You’ve no idea how something is going to be perceived way down the line. If you think like that - your performance will be more manufactured. You have to pretend nobody is ever going to see it in order to really bare you soul."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 07:27:06 am by TOoP/Bruce »