Author Topic: "Brokeback Mountain" Font  (Read 12842 times)

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
"Brokeback Mountain" Font
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:06:31 am »
Hmmm. . .  Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. 

Does anybody know the font that was used for the opening/closing titles and the poster of the movie?  I'm too lazy to sort through all the posts here to see if this has already addressed, and a Google search didn't turn up anything. 

I'd be forever grateful to anyone who can he'p me out here. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: "Brokeback Mountain" Font
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:18:22 am »
We found that Georgia comes very close with one space between each letter (you can also use 'stretch' in Paint to "widen" it a bit); and, two to three spaces between 'Brokeback' and 'Mountain'. Hope this helps.

Georgia, 20pt

Georgia, 20pt, stretch (110%)

Compare to opening BBM scene:
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 01:06:27 pm »
Wow, that's great Chris. I'd say that's it, but just today I had an eyesight test and will get glasses soon. So maybe I'm not the best to judge  :laugh:.
Anyway, for me it would work if I were looking for the font.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 01:31:06 pm »
Thanks Chrissi - it seems very close, and it can be tweaked to appear even closer with 'stretching'. BTW, your eyes might be fine - that was a fuzzy screen cap!  :D
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 01:55:18 pm »
You bring up a grea thread smellykellyjay!

I loved to study fonts! They still fascinate me! Any other like them? Why, may I ask?

Anyone know why that BM font or something similar is there? Why such was chosen?

Keep care,

hugs!

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 09:21:04 pm »
We found that Georgia comes very close with one space between each letter (you can also use 'stretch' in Paint to "widen" it a bit); and, two to three spaces between 'Brokeback' and 'Mountain'. Hope this helps.

Wow.  I think you've got it.  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  It does help immensely. 

Just curious here.  You mentioned that "we" found.  Who's we? 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 09:32:02 pm »
Here's a link to a long-ago thread where we discussed being able to see mountains in the rugged edges of one of the fonts used for Brokeback Mountain.  I remember it took me forever to be able to 'see' it, but after I did once, I always do.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6773.msg126651.html#msg126651
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 09:39:56 pm »
You bring up a grea thread smellykellyjay!

I loved to study fonts! They still fascinate me! Any other like them? Why, may I ask?

Anyone know why that BM font or something similar is there? Why such was chosen?

Thanks, Artiste.  I'm fascinated by fonts too.  I like the way they can serve a practical purpose of showing information and also set a tone, be it fun, serious, classy, silly, naughty, what have you. 

I create the fliers for my music teacher's annual recital, and I love working with different fonts on them, particularly ones that are marquee or music related, like in the shape of notes and such.  I also sometimes make signs for a club I moonlight at, and I enjoy finding naughty fonts, like in the shape of cocktails or karma sutra positions. 

As for why the Georgia font (or reasonable facsimile) was chosen, I guess we'd have to ask the design department that put it together.  To my untrained eye, nothing about it seems to stand out as special.  Maybe that was the point, to keep it serious and simple, kinda like Ennis. 

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 03:50:19 pm »
Georgia is the semi-official font for BetterMost as well, although I never connected it with Brokeback Mountain until now.  The reason I chose it is that it is a classic serif font that has a slight western quality to it, without being cliché or too obvious.  It suggests some class and elegance, and can never be mistaken as a frivolous font.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 05:46:55 pm »
Great! And thanks all of you!!

Maybe we can have a thread on fonts for EACH of  BM movie characters??

Good idea? For fun?

Hugs!!