Author Topic: The Latest on Jake G.  (Read 72587 times)

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Latest on Jake G.
« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2008, 04:03:07 pm »
I don't know if i can agree with that "ifyoucan'tfixit".

I think you can release a statement through your PR. I believe that's how most of Heath's family, friends and co-stars did it. To me a statement would mean paying respect to a dead family member, friend or co-star. But of course Jake doesn't owe us a statement and there probably will be none and that we must accept!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2008, 04:30:24 pm »
It really is interesting to see how much of an impact this uncertainty about Jake is having on Brokie fandom (for better or worse, it just simply is having an impact).  And, it really seems true that as soon as he does emerge into the public eye again (officially) things in Brokie fandom will shift again.

I think you can release a statement through your PR. I believe that's how most of Heath's family, friends and co-stars did it. To me a statement would mean paying respect to a dead family member, friend or co-star. But of course Jake doesn't owe us a statement and there probably will be none and that we must accept!

And, I tend to agree with this point of view MilAn.  A eulogy type of statement is entirely different from paparazzi intrusiveness into personal grief.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

mvansand76

« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2008, 04:41:37 pm »
It's funny how this subject keeps popping up, but I guess that's because the feelings of disappointment are pretty irrational, but strangely persistent as well.

To be perfectly honest, I actually feel disappointed in Jake, and I know it's completely irrational, but I feel like I will never feel the same about him again. That doesn't mean that I will defame him on websites or livejournals or join discussions that spread hatred about him. No way, it's just a private little feeling I have and I am not going to apologize for it. I can try to explain it, but it's probably too subconscious to really understand, let alone explain. I will still go and see his movies, I will still enjoy watching pictures of him, but it's all different now.

Am I still making sense?

It's maybe because I do feel that, as with all the other people who have spoken about Heath (people who did and didn't know him) or have given a statement, he could have at least done something, like post a little message on his official website. Even if it was only for the Brokies that he knows are out there and are hurting so bad and just want to know if he's OK.

I feel that it is perfectly OK to be a private person when you're an actor, and he is totally entitled to that. But throw us a bone every once in a while Jake, let us know you are still alive and a breathing and realizing that you have fans of the movies you have starred in.

To voice Forrest Gump: That's all I have to say about that.

;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #173 on: March 15, 2008, 04:47:53 pm »
Hey Mel,

I understand what you mean, and I think you're completely entitled to feel how you feel without having to apologize or worry about it.

I do sort of wonder, through this whole particularly difficult phase these past several months, how Jake perceives his fan base and how particularly he understands his role amongst Brokeback fans.  I mean, he must have some awareness of the special status he and Heath have amongst Brokie fans and also must be aware of the trauma going through this fan base.

And, I agree and keep saying that he doesn't necessarily owe anyone anything.  But, still it would be nice to hear from him.  And, I think he could change this newfound curiosity, uncertainty and ambivalence (and sometimes anger) in the Brokie fandom right now over this... in the blink of an eye.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2008, 04:48:22 pm »
         I agree ...It seems that those who decry the activities of the paps,, are the ones that
also are the most aggrivated by his lack of response..Its either one way or the other..You want
them to be left alone, with their privacy.  Or you dont..and this falls under the catagory of the
privacy issues to the greatest amount yet.

I guess that's the reason why most people would rather be rich than famous.  Fame can be like an abusive lover or spouse: beating the crap out of you and then bringing you flowers in the hospital.

As far as the Brokie fandom is concerned, IMO this is a sad indication that this story and movie might not have changed as many lives as we'd like to think. 

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2008, 05:10:52 pm »
I guess that's the reason why most people would rather be rich than famous.  Fame can be like an abusive lover or spouse: beating the crap out of you and then bringing you flowers in the hospital.

As far as the Brokie fandom is concerned, IMO this is a sad indication that this story and movie might not have changed as many lives as we'd like to think. 

I wouldn't be too hard on Brokie fans. Everyone is still respectful towards Jake, i didn't see any abusive comments in here and i think his Brokie fans will still support him no matter what. But i think we are allowed to voice our opinions. He was a co-star, not in any movie, but in BBM, he is the godfather of Heath's daughter and that's why many Brokeback fans wonder why doesn't he comment? Heath's family and other close friends and co-stars commented. There was so much sh*t written about Heath in the tabloids and i find it great from his family, friends and co-stars that they also list the positive things about him. They don't want him to be remembered for the mostly, in my opinion, made up nonsense. I feel they want to protect him. And i respect that!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2008, 05:21:02 pm »
I can think of more good reasons for Jake NOT to make a statement of any kind, than for him to make a statement, and his reasons for not making a statement have more to do with his own career and its advancement.  This is just like when actors and actresses are confronted by the media about who they are dating or marrying or whether there is something going on with a costar on the set of a movie:  it isnt about his movie, it isn't about the production, it has nothing to do with the promotion of any films that are in release, and serves as a distraction to whatever PR is occurring on his film.

Neither Jake nor Reese has issued a statement about their relationship with one another, but at some point they ceased concealing it.  There is absolutely no reason why he would release any formal statement about Heath with respect to any of his current professional work, and making any statement at all could provide distractions, as well as draw unwanted attention to him while he is actively making other films.  This strikes me as very typical of Jake.  When it does not have to do with his charity work or his films, he doesn't just "talk to the paps."  They follow him everywhere as it is.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2008, 05:26:44 pm »
I wouldn't be too hard on Brokie fans. Everyone is still respectful towards Jake, i didn't see any abusive comments in here and i think his Brokie fans will still support him no matter what. But i think we are allowed to voice our opinions. He was a co-star, not in any movie, but in BBM, he is the godfather of Heath's daughter and that's why many Brokeback fans wonder why doesn't he comment? Heath's family and other close friends and co-stars commented. There was so much sh*t written about Heath in the tabloids and i find it great from his family, friends and co-stars that they also list the positive things about him. They don't want him to be remembered for the mostly, in my opinion, made up nonsense. I feel they want to protect him. And i respect that!

Well said MilAn. I feel the same as always about Jake. I love him just like I always have him and Heath--as a Brokie and for all the other work they've done. I believe it's his business as to what he says and what he doesn't say. But all that doesn't stop me from wishing to hear from him. I don't think that is an indication that I haven't learned anything from the lessons of Brokeback Mountain.

And he wouldn't have to talk to the paps. That wouldn't be good.  He could release a statement, as someone suggested, through his agent.

Thank-you, MilAn.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2008, 06:02:50 pm »
Glad you agree with me Shasta! :)

yb

« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2008, 09:45:38 pm »
I don't understand why something happened on lj had to be brought here, I think this issue had been put aside on this forum already.  That being said, I don't understand why people felt the need to defend Jake so vehemently for his silence.  All the time, those who wanted to hear from Jake had never demanded him to give a speech or an interview to discuss about his relationship with Heath in depth.  Just as many people have explained many times on this thread, on another forum, and on lj, all they wanted was a simple statement; Jake didn't even need to write it himself. 

I am not one yearning for a statement from Jake, I do know what's going on with this subject on the BBM fandom.  Apart from a few extreme comments, most people have expressed their disappointment or question in a civilized manner; why would some people always need to tell the others they shouldn't feel this or that way.  The usual arguments are 'he doesn't owe us anything' or 'he must have a reason for keeping silent'.  That's all true and I can see their points, but it's also nothing wrong with people wanting to hear from Jake.  If BBM's lesson is about tolerance, why can't it be applied to both sides on this issue?!