Author Topic: Everyone Please Read !!!  (Read 21679 times)

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Everyone Please Read !!!
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 05:00:39 pm »
Im sorry but what does all this have to do with sending Jake G a little support from Bettermost????

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 05:13:47 pm »
Im sorry but what does all this have to do with sending Jake G a little support from Bettermost????

I think it's nice for fans to want to be supportive of Jake. But some of the posts on this thread lead me to be concerned that assumptions are being made that may not have a basis in reality. Better, in my opinion, to wait for him to make a statement--and if he already has and I've just missed it, I apologize.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 05:19:19 pm »
Please ... take a step back, perhaps literally: leave your computer for an hour, do something different, then come back and think again about the issue raised here.

Please cut each other some slack. We're all weary, sad and maybe more sensible than in other times.

Thank you!

I totally agree and thank you for posting this, Chrissi.

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline RossInIllinois

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 05:24:18 pm »
So then If you don't agree with a thread why not just pass it up like I do in here? Why try to hijack it or change its original meaning and further ice it with negitivity?

Offline RossInIllinois

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 06:04:13 pm »
For those interested in sending a note to Jake, here are the addresses. I found them on his website. I don't know if he changed agents but I don't think so.

Agent
Jake Gyllenhaal is represented by:
CAA
9830 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, California
90212-1825

Fan Mail
Please send fan mail to:
Jake Gyllenhaal
c/o CAA
9830 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, California
90212-1825

Thank you so much for posting this information.  ;)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 06:05:28 pm »

I have been wondering how to say anything that is of benefit.. I dont very often like
centering on myself.  I have posted mostly my interests, and likes and dislikes.  But i am not
sure what else that needs to be said.  There are times when i feel like the most important
thing i am, is what i do.  Not who i am.
          I have many strong opinions, some popular and some not.  Just like anyone else.  I have
never been shy about telling those.  I have always tried to be honest and at the same time,
to be kind and considerate.  I think that the world and our communities function better when'
opinions are expressed and decried.  It is how we reach a norm....Be patient i am going to
have a point here eventually.  However I dont think that the laws of discourse are ever meant
to allow attacks and anger when two parties that on ordinary subjects agree..When they finally
find and issue on which they do not agree.  The rules and regulations of propriety require that
we dont snipe and snark at each other in these times.  If we as true believers in a certain
thought and like mindedness cannot treat each other with kindness and respect.  Then how
can we ever expect that of arch enemies. 
       This most difficult of times, has seemingly started to creat such division and anger as
to cause serious harm to this place we all call home.
       It seems to me that there are those that have aneed to show that they are the most grevious.
In the most pain, and have the greatest loss.  There is no way you can measure such a thing.
everyone feels what they feel, and it is all valid.  To discount anothers grief at the showing of
your own is meanspirited.  To discount other peoples ideas about how to express that grief
summarily and offhanded.. is also condescending and rude.  I personally think we should all
be willing to accept that all others in this Brokeback Mountain universe are suffering, and in that
suffering, should be allowed to be fostered and cared for in the same way that we would wish
to be fostered and cared for during this most difficult of times.  Lets try to be understanding and
caring..Instead of sniping and hurtful...              its just my opinion......but its how i feel

Heath/Ennis            Jake/Jack          Brokeback Mountain
                                         " A love that lasts forever"

Beautiful mind

Offline RossInIllinois

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 06:42:40 pm »
          I have been wondering how to say anything that is of benefit.. I dont very often like
centering on myself.  I have posted mostly my interests, and likes and dislikes.  But i am not
sure what else that needs to be said.  There are times when i feel like the most important
thing i am, is what i do.  Not who i am.
          I have many strong opinions, some popular and some not.  Just like anyone else.  I have
never been shy about telling those.  I have always tried to be honest and at the same time,
to be kind and considerate.  I think that the world and our communities function better when'
opinions are expressed and decried.  It is how we reach a norm....Be patient i am going to
have a point here eventually.  However I dont think that the laws of discourse are ever meant
to allow attacks and anger when two parties that on ordinary subjects agree..When they finally
find and issue on which they do not agree.  The rules and regulations of propriety require that
we dont snipe and snark at each other in these times.  If we as true believers in a certain
thought and like mindedness cannot treat each other with kindness and respect.  Then how
can we ever expect that of arch enemies. 
       This most difficult of times, has seemingly started to creat such division and anger as
to cause serious harm to this place we all call home.
       It seems to me that there are those that have aneed to show that they are the most grevious.
In the most pain, and have the greatest loss.  There is no way you can measure such a thing.
everyone feels what they feel, and it is all valid.  To discount anothers grief at the showing of
your own is meanspirited.  To discount other peoples ideas about how to express that grief
summarily and offhanded.. is also condescending and rude.  I personally think we should all
be willing to accept that all others in this Brokeback Mountain universe are suffering, and in that
suffering, should be allowed to be fostered and cared for in the same way that we would wish
to be fostered and cared for during this most difficult of times.  Lets try to be understanding and
caring..Instead of sniping and hurtful...              its just my opinion......but its how i feel

Heath/Ennis            Jake/Jack          Brokeback Mountain
                                         " A love that lasts forever"

Who is sniping? And who is speaking there truth? And who makes any one person judge and jury here?  It's for this reason I just skip over threads I don't agree with.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 06:51:39 pm »
I think it is possible that making any kind of gesture to Jake, even if it is a condolence card to his agency - is a bit presumptuous, and that is why it feels a litle "weird" to me too.  Would we send one to Maggie? to Christian Bale, who was his co-star on "Dark Knight"?  how about Christopher Plummer, his co-star on "Imaginarium" or Abbie Cornish, his co-star on "Candy" or Sienna Miller, his co-star in "Casanova", all more recent than Brokeback? Put into that context- that they were co-stars AND FRIENDS, which Plummer and Bale certainly counted Heath as a friend, it seems mildly silly to send a condolence to them since we are not friends of theirs nor know them.

I think the implication is somehow that assuming a special friendship, or a "special friendship" because of the exaggerated idea we may have of how important Heath was to Jake, is somewhat inappropriate.  They weren't living together as lovers, nor can we assume that he was any closer to Heath than his many other co-stars.  I think that is the weird thing, and I don't think any gesture of condolence to Jake would really be of any greater utility than the one we made that is photographed in our banner.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 07:45:43 pm »
So then If you don't agree with a thread why not just pass it up like I do in here? Why try to hijack it or change its original meaning and further ice it with negitivity?

Nobody has tried to hijack anything. This is a public forum and Scott and I have just expressed our opinions.

Edit: To eliminate a snarky comment, for which I apologize.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:13:48 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 07:47:30 pm »
I think it is possible that making any kind of gesture to Jake, even if it is a condolence card to his agency - is a bit presumptuous, and that is why it feels a litle "weird" to me too.  Would we send one to Maggie? to Christian Bale, who was his co-star on "Dark Knight"?  how about Christopher Plummer, his co-star on "Imaginarium" or Abbie Cornish, his co-star on "Candy" or Sienna Miller, his co-star in "Casanova", all more recent than Brokeback? Put into that context- that they were co-stars AND FRIENDS, which Plummer and Bale certainly counted Heath as a friend, it seems mildly silly to send a condolence to them since we are not friends of theirs nor know them.

I think the implication is somehow that assuming a special friendship, or a "special friendship" because of the exaggerated idea we may have of how important Heath was to Jake, is somewhat inappropriate.  They weren't living together as lovers, nor can we assume that he was any closer to Heath than his many other co-stars.  I think that is the weird thing, and I don't think any gesture of condolence to Jake would really be of any greater utility than the one we made that is photographed in our banner.

Thank you, Louise. Very well expressed.