Author Topic: "On Your Feet Cowboy"  (Read 9013 times)

vkm91941

"On Your Feet Cowboy"
« on: May 19, 2006, 06:51:58 pm »
Got this from TOB...

As the subject alludes to, I wanted to start a post about the dance scenes in BbM and the emotion overtones associated with them.

I was driving home, listening to the soundtrack and "I Don't Want to Say Goodbye" came on. For the first time I realized how fitting that song was. It's played while Jack is dancing with LaShawn after being snipped at by Lureen and cruised by Randall. Taking the song in consideration, it seems Jack is contemplating, maybe for the first time, whether to not to stay with Ennis and weighing the fact that they belong together against the reality that they probably can't be together,

I don't want to say goodbye
All I want to do is live with you.

Together our two hearts are strong
Don't you know know that's where our hearts both belong?

A very heart-wrenching thought process for Jack, I'm sure.

So I just wanted to know: what to you guys feel when you see certain dance scenes? I think all four are great scenes...with their own level of tension.

I could not agree with the OP more
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 07:32:38 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "On Your Feel Cowboy"
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 07:07:07 pm »
Good thread, Victoria. My favorite is when Ennis dances with Cassie to the Allman Brothers' Melissa (on their date with Alma Jr.). This one is particularly meaningful because it is Ennis himself who picks it out on the jukebox. Here are the lyrics that you hear as they hit the dance floor:

Knowing many, loving none,
Bearing sorrow havin' fun,
But back home he'll always run
To sweet Melissa... mmm...

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 07:19:35 pm »
Good thread, Victoria. My favorite is when Ennis dances with Cassie to the Allman Brothers' Melissa (on their date with Alma Jr.). This one is particularly meaningful because it is Ennis himself who picks it out on the jukebox. Here are the lyrics that you hear as they hit the dance floor:

I love Melissa; it tears at my heart in such a bittersweet way everytime I hear it. I was pleasantly surprised to hear it when first seeing the film. You're right that, significantly, Ennis is seen choosing this song (after we hear the conclusion of Tammy Wynette's 'D-I-V-O-R-C-E'), and it might also be significant that Ennis first wishes to sit down with the two ladies after it begins to play. He only goes to the dance floor at this moment because Cassie insists that he do so.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 07:24:19 pm »

I gotta agree here...powerful song if you actually listen to it...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: "On Your Feet Cowboy"
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 11:42:43 am »
I love the scene when Jack dances with Lureen as "No One's Gonna Love You Like Me" is being sung.  It's the most obvious, but it works beautifully.  There's Lureen looking adoringly at Jack smiling at her, and then he looks over her shoulder with the saddest expression, as if he knew that he was looking ahead to a life of settling for something that was only a shadow of what he really wanted.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 12:05:34 pm »
Got this from TOB...
I was driving home, listening to the soundtrack and "I Don't Want to Say Goodbye" came on. For the first time I realized how fitting that song was.

Yes, yes, that's exactly how I feel and hear the song too vkm91941!  I think Jack was interested in Laureen for your beauty and her money as well and she is so taken by him.  I feel sorry for her mostly, sorry because she never really has all of Jack, and wants him so.  I felt so bad for her when he asks LaShawn to dance!  And then there's damned Randall complicating everything for Jack.  Wouldn't it be nice if people could make the right choices of mates and be happy with them?   I guess some people are lucky in love and some aren't.  I also feel sorry for the young waitress who falls for Ennis.  Poor thing, but she wasn't all that aware of where Ennis' heart actually is.. and who can blame her?  How could she have known?  Ennis is not an easy man to understand unless you get to know him and that's hard enough to start with...

Rayn

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 05:54:45 pm »
I don't want to say goodbye is def my fave song on the soundtrack. Its beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time.

I think it would make a great first dance at a wedding..
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 05:42:24 am »
I got a good laugh while reading the screenplay when I got to the first Ennis/Cassie scene.

"Cassie and Ennis are the only people on the dancefloor.  It is immediately clear that Ennis cannot dance."

I just read in the HEATHx3 thread that he's actually a very good dancer.  Even more kudos to him as an actor because it's difficult for people who can dance to act like they can't.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 08:20:37 am »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Poor Ennis.. Can't say why that line tickled my fancy but boy, it did..
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 08:41:11 am »
I love the scene when Jack dances with Lureen as "No One's Gonna Love You Like Me" is being sung.  It's the most obvious, but it works beautifully.  There's Lureen looking adoringly at Jack smiling at her, and then he looks over her shoulder with the saddest expression, as if he knew that he was looking ahead to a life of settling for something that was only a shadow of what he really wanted.  :(

Beautifully put, Meryl.  Do you know, I can't listen to this song on the soundtrack because it makes me so sad for that very reason - it tears me up thinking of Jack settling.
No more beans!