Author Topic: "On Your Feet Cowboy"  (Read 8999 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: "On Your Feet Cowboy"
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 01:36:16 pm »
Um, sorry, but the symbolism of the tattoed girl in the bar is not to show how liberal things have gotten.

Ang Lee is showing us the cultural (and Financial) differences in Jacks and Ennis's lives.

Jack and Lureen are at a charity dance to raise money for a Childrens fund.  Everyone there is well dressed.    In contrast we see Ennis hanging out in a dive bar with biker chicks.   No offence to any tattoed biker chicks on the board!     

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 01:48:26 pm »
Um, sorry, but the symbolism of the tattoed girl in the bar is not to show how liberal things have gotten.

Ang Lee is showing us the cultural (and Financial) differences in Jacks and Ennis's lives.

Jack and Lureen are at a charity dance to raise money for a Childrens fund.  Everyone there is well dressed.    In contrast we see Ennis hanging out in a dive bar with biker chicks.   No offence to any tattoed biker chicks on the board!     

I'm going with David on this one...
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 01:51:11 pm »
I'm not heavily tattooed or a biker, but I do hang out in dive bars from time to time -- sure rather do that than go to a charity dance. No offense to any charity-dance frequenters on this board!

Your explanation makes sense, too, David. On the other hand, I don't think we need someone with head-to-toe tattoos to prove the bar is divy, any more than we need her to show us Cassie is attractive. The extra is still unusually conspicuous.

I'm going for answer C, all of the above.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2006, 02:08:39 pm »
I'm not heavily tattooed or a biker, but I do hang out in dive bars from time to time -- sure rather do that than go to a charity dance. No offense to any charity-dance frequenters on this board!

LOL.  I quite agree. :D

It does seem that we're meant to notice the differences between Jack and Ennis's social worlds.  It not only shows the growing class or financial difference but also a different attitude towards socializing in general.  Jack is usually shown in bars/dance halls that are full of people and lively, while Ennis is the opposite in going to smaller bars.  The dance floors in Ennis's bars are never full.  I guess this is meant to be more of a visual clue that Ennis is a loner (as if we needed more proof).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie