Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain back in theatres  (Read 31235 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Brokeback Mountain back in theatres
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:24:51 am »
 :(

I've been waiting for so long to see BBM again in the theatre. I've always been hoping one of those little art house cinemas will show it again.
Now they do.  :(
Couldn't those *$&#* play it three weeks ago? Or anytime last year? They didn't even play it at the lesbian-gay film festival last year. But now it's not in one of the small art house cinemas, it's in one big multiplex cinema and in one 'normal', traditional theatre.

Yes, I'm angry. And I even don't know if it's right to be angry. It may be an attempt to exploit the situation. But it may as well be an honest tribute. And after all, a cinema is not a non-profit organization.

I just checked the website of the 'normal' theatre. The do have a tribute to Heath on their homepage, twice even. One time in the category "News", and one time on the site with the description of BBM.

From their news page:
"Dear visitor,
due to the unexpected and tragic passing of Heath Ledger we show again the poignant masterpiece of Ang Lee: Brokeback Mountain."

and from their BBM page:
"In remembrance of the unexpected and much too early deceased Heath Ledger we show the moving masterpiece of Taiwanese Ang Lee once again."

The latter pointed out in red letters.

Ok, the tributes on their site placated me.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Brokeback Mountain back in theatres
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:34:53 am »
Well Chrissi, over here, there's nothing in the theatres nearby. Not even on their website... :-\  >:(

It's like the world has put op a sign 'He's dead. Get over it.'  :(
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:48:38 am »
Hm, well, Fabienne, I think you're probably better off than us people up here. Heath's been on the front page of the major paper (a tabloid), and he's been mentioned in news follow-ups both on TV and in most of the major papers, several times, and it's invariably been syndicated versions about "found naked" and "pills" and "battling addiciton" and development in those stories over the week, directly based on US media. To be fair they have also kept referring to one or more of the films he's known for,- usually it's Brokeback. Plus "I'm not there", which is currently in its ordinary run in theatres here.

I'd be of two minds about the theatres showing Brokeback, just like you Chrissi - but when all is said and done, if people who didn't know much about Heath before are curious and so get to know him and his work better through Ennis, that's a very good thing. So I think it's good they are given that possibility, - time so much more well spent than reading the latest on Heath in the papers!  ::) ::)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:32:37 am »
I haven't seen any notices that they are playing it in theaters around here. Interesting thought--could I watch it in a theater again? I don't know. I don't think I've watched it all the way through since our Boston Brokie get together in Sept 2006.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:28:38 am »
Well after I replied to Chrissi's post, I asked myself whether I would go to see it in the cinema if it had been on screen here currently. I think I would...

So, then I thought, what am I waiting for? It's not in the cinema, but I have the dvd. So, I put in the dvd and watched it again, this afternoon. I had the afternoon off, so I was all by myself.

And now, I'm glad I did. To be honest, I was dreading it a bit. But it was ok. I really got into the story as soon as Ennis got off of that truck in Signal. I hadn't seen it since we've been to Alberta last summer, so it was special to see the places we'd visited. I felt peace and warmth at the Dozy Embrace scene, just like I did when I stood there in July.

I cried at scenes I didn't cry about before. Hearing Ennis say 'Well, I guess I'll see you around then, huh' and Jack say 'Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it' was very emotional. It was tough watching the Alma and Ennis scenes...

But it wasn't very different that watching it all the other times. It was certainly intens, but I felt an even greater sense of appreciation for what a true masterpiece this movie really is. Because, this movie and Heath's Ennis, that's 'how come me end up here'. I owe you Heath.

:)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 11:50:03 am »

I am sorry if anyone thinks it may be disrespectful for theaters to play our lovely
masterpiece.  But I am of an opinion, that if it in any way gets more people to the
theaters so that they too may appreciate it.  Then I am in favor.  Unfortunately as in
most things.  Time mellows peoples reactions to a new and different type of event.
I truly believe that the movie has changed so many minds about the gay or lesbian
subject matter, that it is not the shocking tale to many that it once was.  I further
believe that Heath and Jake might well get that deserved Award if it was played now.
I believe it has made that much of a difference.  It could truly be appreciated by more
folks now.  And when all is said and done isnt that the point.  I say let them sit in every town and hamlet.  Let them have it in ever place conceivable. So that others
who were too ignorant or too afraid to see it before, can do so..  I think that would be a
very fitting legacy to our dear Heath.  He would not only have made a worldwide change, but
that change would be ongoing.....

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 11:59:05 am »
But I am of an opinion, that if it in any way gets more people to the
theaters so that they too may appreciate it.

I'm with you, Janice. It's quite possible the profit motive is not totally absent from the theater owners' decision. But that's OK with me, because I think, or at least hope, that people probably ARE interested in seeing it, either for the first time or again, and that can't be anything but good. And the theater owners' are probably also sincerely motivated by people's genuine interest, too. They're giving the people what they think the people want. So it's win-win.

Of course, if the theater owners wanted to be REALLY good, they could donate the proceeds to some appropriate charitable cause ...  ::)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 12:05:29 pm »
I think a lot of the independant theaters barely scrape by, and if this can help them with their bottom line I can understand. Business is sadly business. The story told by the movie however is bigger than all of its parts, and anytime it can be shown, there is a chance it will have a life changing effect on someone. So with that greater good in mind, I am for it.

Rest in Peace, Heath.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 12:30:06 pm »
I think a lot of the independant theaters barely scrape by, and if this can help them with their bottom line I can understand. Business is sadly business.

Good point. I would go, and I would even buy popcorn and a Diet Coke ... if I thought I could bring myself to see it again ...  :-\

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 12:43:58 pm »

I myself own two copies of the film.  I have seen it over 100 times.  But if they had it
here in a theater nearby.  I would gladly go and see it in a theater again.  Its a "love that never
grows old."

Beautiful mind

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 01:25:55 pm »
Janice, I totally agree.  Whilst we will never forget Heath, I want everyone in the world to remember how amazing he was. 

I never had the joy of seeing BBM on the big screen and I have been checking out my local cinemas who aren't showing it.  Hopefully, they will soon. 

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 03:04:23 pm »
Janice, I totally agree.  Whilst we will never forget Heath, I want everyone in the world to remember how amazing he was. 

I never had the joy of seeing BBM on the big screen and I have been checking out my local cinemas who aren't showing it.  Hopefully, they will soon. 

Sandy, funny - i was just thinking - I'd love to see this on the big screen again and then Sandy could come with me! And I also just checked the GFT etc, nothing.. I did email to ask if they were thinking of showing it.

The picturehouse in St Andrews is showing it on Wednesday at 11pm according to S1.com .... its only a three hours drive.....  :-*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 04:33:48 pm »
Well after I replied to Chrissi's post, I asked myself whether I would go to see it in the cinema if it had been on screen here currently. I think I would...

Fabienne, I've just checked the Brussels theatre website (www.cinebel.be) and it is shown in the cinema STYX!! It's on every night at 7pm until Thursday for sure. I am NOT sure I'd want to see it right now, to be honest... but if you feel like it, we could go together. However, I should warn you, the screen in that cinema is tiny(!) and it's shown in English with Dutch and French subtitles - who 'eat' a lot of screen... It may be, that watching the DVD was the better option..

I'd be available Sunday or Tuesday..

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 04:49:14 pm »
Fabienne, I've just checked the Brussels theatre website (www.cinebel.be) and it is shown in the cinema STYX!! It's on every night at 7pm until Thursday for sure. I am NOT sure I'd want to see it right now, to be honest... but if you feel like it, we could go together. However, I should warn you, the screen in that cinema is tiny(!) and it's shown in English with Dutch and French subtitles - who 'eat' a lot of screen... It may be, that watching the DVD was the better option..

I'd be available Sunday or Tuesday..

j.U.d.E.

Hey Jude, I'll send you a pm.  :)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 05:09:57 pm »
I agree that overall it would be good if theaters showed BBM now and more people would get the chance to see it, now that there is interest in it and Heath.

I happended to check the web site of the county library system for San Mateo County, which is just south and next to San Francisco.  I wanted to see if they had a dvd of "New Kelly," since I have never seen it and would like to. (They do, although the San Francisco Libarary Ststem does not.) 

While I was there, I checked and saw that of the 40 copies of the BBM dvd that they have, all but 3 are currently checked out!

Pete   
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 05:28:29 pm »
While I was there, I checked and saw that of the 40 copies of the BBM dvd that they have, all but 3 are currently checked out!

Pete   
Which is good, of course!! But also kind of horrible... It's like - hurry, we have to see that film with the dead actor now..

Sorry, it was just the first thing I felt, when I read your post Pete.

Of course, the more people see BBM, the better!!

j.U.d.E.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 05:29:06 pm »
Hey Jude, I'll send you a pm.  :)
And I have sent you one back!  :)

j.U.d.E.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 05:37:47 pm »
Interest on BBM on IMDB.com is up by 3,977% on their moviemeter.  It's skyrocketed in popularity.  Yep, couldn't find anything on Heath at library or Blockbuster. Even Casanova was checked out and it's always there.
I will have to reconnect with Netflix one of these days. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 05:44:45 pm »
Interest on BBM on IMDB.com is up by 3,977% on their moviemeter.

I'd never seen the moviemeter before, so you inspired me to look it up. I'm still not entirely sure what it is, but BBM is in the top 10. And on their starmeter (again, whatever that is), Heath is #1 and Michelle is #2.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 05:51:30 pm »
I'd never seen the moviemeter before, so you inspired me to look it up. I'm still not entirely sure what it is, but BBM is in the top 10. And on their starmeter (again, whatever that is), Heath is #1 and Michelle is #2.

I'm glad that Heath's movies are getting attention.

But, damn, I wish it could be for some other reason.  :(
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 05:56:11 pm »
Which is good, of course!! But also kind of horrible... It's like - hurry, we have to see that film with the dead actor now..

Sorry, it was just the first thing I felt, when I read your post Pete.

Of course, the more people see BBM, the better!!

j.U.d.E.

I completely agree with Jude. I don't think it's disrespectful of the theatres to show BBM now (how could it be? If they really want to do a tribute, there's no better way than to show BBM). But I think of possibly exploiting the situation (like I said before) and somehow I find it morbid in the way Jude described.

But over all, Mikaela, Katherine and everybody are right: the more people experience BBM, the better. And yes, it's a big legacy of Heath for sure.

My anger was/is a very personal and egoistic one; I've been waiting for soooo long - and now, when I don't want to see it, just now they show it.

I've talked to Kerstin and she absolutely wants to see it. But I can't see no BBM just now  :(.
You know, way back we talked about how some of us tend to start crying earlier and earlier in the movie, the more often we saw it. Then someone cracked a joke along the line of "One day I'll start choking up the moment the Focus Features logo is shown". I have the feeling this would be me now  :-\.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 06:01:57 pm »
I'm glad that Heath's movies are getting attention.

But, damn, I wish it could be for some other reason.  :(

Mel, you put it correctly in a nutshell.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 06:03:03 pm »
Then someone cracked a joke along the line of "One day I'll start choking up the moment the Focus Features logo is shown". I have the feeling this would be me now  :-\.

That sounds like something I would have said.

But I'm thinking of watching BBM on Friday night, as a tribute to Heath and his incredible work.

And I'm tearing up already thinking about it, so I'll probably be a blubbering mess by the time the logo shows up.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 06:03:31 pm »
You know, way back we talked about how some of us tend to start crying earlier and earlier in the movie, the more often we saw it. Then someone cracked a joke along the line of "One day I'll start choking up the moment the Focus Features logo is shown". I have the feeling this would be me now  :-\.

I know Chrissi, I was apprehensive before i watched again today. But now I'm really glad I did.

But I guess it's easier when you watch the dvd. If you get too upset or unsettled, you can always turn it off. In the cinema, you'd have to walk out...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:57:57 am by belbbmfan »

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 06:07:17 pm »
I'm hoping I can see it one of these days on the big screen. Maybe in SF. It seems they play it once a year.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 06:26:26 pm »
I'm hoping I can see it one of these days on the big screen. Maybe in SF. It seems they play it once a year.

And its our very own sfericsf (eric)who organises it! You can ask him about it at his blog.... http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8520.0.html

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 06:34:27 pm »
It reminds me of the cover of the either August or September 1981 issue of Rolling Stone Magazine. It featured a photo of Jim Morrison and the headline: He's Hot, He's Sexy and He's Dead. He had been dead for years, but had become an industry. I think it must be the process of becoming a legend.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 05:02:30 am »

Then someone cracked a joke along the line of "One day I'll start choking up the moment the Focus Features logo is shown". I have the feeling this would be me now  :-\.

Oh, I absolutely have done that.  I remember back in them days when I was going to see it in the theater every chance I could, when the Focus Features and River Road thingies came on, I would feel a kind of "Ahhhhh....finally where I need to be."  But then on subsequent viewings, it did turn into pre-sniffling, as it came on and I knew how it would go for the rest of the movie.  As it did go...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 10:49:13 am »

So, then I thought, what am I waiting for? It's not in the cinema, but I have the dvd. So, I put in the dvd and watched it again, this afternoon. I had the afternoon off, so I was all by myself.

And now, I'm glad I did. To be honest, I was dreading it a bit. But it was ok. I really got into the story as soon as Ennis got off of that truck in Signal. I hadn't seen it since we've been to Alberta last summer, so it was special to see the places we'd visited. I felt peace and warmth at the Dozy Embrace scene, just like I did when I stood there in July.

I cried at scenes I didn't cry about before. Hearing Ennis say 'Well, I guess I'll see you around then, huh' and Jack say 'Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it' was very emotional. It was tough watching the Alma and Ennis scenes...

But it wasn't very different that watching it all the other times. It was certainly intens, but I felt an even greater sense of appreciation for what a true masterpiece this movie really is. Because, this movie and Heath's Ennis, that's 'how come me end up here'. I owe you Heath.

:)

Hey Friend,

Thanks for this post.  This was essentially my reaction to watching BBM the Friday following Heath's death too.  The sameness of it was very comforting and I also got pulled right into the story (essentially as usual)... which was nice.  My reactions and emotions about all the scenes were definitely heightened throughout the viewing, but in a good way really.

About BBM being screened in theatres and increased interest on imdb, etc.  My feeling is that this is positive.  The idea that folks are focusing attention on the substance of Heath's amazing work with these kinds of things, seems to be a good thing from my perspective at least.   It seems to be a fitting and respectful tribute to him.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 11:00:26 am »

Hey Friend,

Thanks for this post.  This was essentially my reaction to watching BBM the Friday following Heath's death too.  The sameness of it was very comforting and I also got pulled right into the story (essentially as usual)... which was nice.  My reactions and emotions about all the scenes were definitely heightened throughout the viewing, but in a good way really.

thanks Friend.

Yeah, through all the sadness, I guess comfort was the main feeling I got from watching the movie again. It made me feel better.  :-*

Offline lori

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 12:33:12 pm »
Hi everyone,
I tried to do searches for BBM playing again in my area (Massachusestts) without any luck.  Has anyone else done searches to find out if it will be played on the big screen again?  If you had any luck, how did you do it?
Thank you,
Lori

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 01:50:36 pm »
Hi Lori,

The best thing to do is check with all of the independent theatres in your area.  Perhaps even give them a call and request the movie be played...

Here in San Francisco, the Castro theatre is showing it on Feb. 24th and Feb. 25th...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 04:38:48 pm »
Hi everyone,
I tried to do searches for BBM playing again in my area (Massachusestts) without any luck.  Has anyone else done searches to find out if it will be played on the big screen again?  If you had any luck, how did you do it?
Thank you,
Lori

Lori - I'd suggest the same as Eric - and welcome btw!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 05:16:54 pm »
Hi everyone,
Thank you,
Lori

Lori,

You might want to contact the Coolidge Corner Theater. We had a special screening there in Sep 2006 when we had our Boston Brokie get together.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline lori

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2008, 06:36:53 pm »
Thank you everyone.  That helps a lot. 
Lori

Offline lori

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 06:42:17 pm »
I'm bummed.  After going to the Coolidge Corner theater website I found out that they showed the movie on February 4th.  Darn.  Missed it.  I asked them to show it again in an email. 
Lori

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 01:44:19 pm »
I also just got word that the Del Mar Theatre in Santa Cruz, CA is showing Brokeback Mountain this Friday (02/15) and Saturday (02/16) night at midnight!

http://www.thenick.com/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 07:46:55 pm »
I love that marquee!

Thanks for posting that, Eric!

L

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 12:20:33 am »
I love that marquee!

Thanks for posting that, Eric!

L

I went down to Santa Cruz after work to scope things out.  Here's our movie on the Del Mar's marquee all ready to go fer Friday and Saturday night!  ;D

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2008, 03:14:05 am »
Gosh, Eric, that's great!

I wish we were this lucky... :-\

Thanks for posting those pictures. The 'Del Mar' theatre hunh? I love that.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2008, 07:34:15 am »
That's such a great marquee, Eric, thanks for posting that.  Reminds me of the olden days when you and Rontrigger would travel around and then post your photos of the theaters.

Are you California Brokies planning an outing to one of these?

Clarissa

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2008, 03:48:44 pm »
That's such a great marquee, Eric, thanks for posting that.  Reminds me of the olden days when you and Rontrigger would travel around and then post your photos of the theaters.

Are you California Brokies planning an outing to one of these?

Clarissa

Yes, several of us are going to the DEL MAR showing Saturday night.  Wanna fly down and go with us?  :D

And of course we'll all be at the Castro showings.

Offline cornflake2912

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2008, 04:34:01 pm »
Hey there!

I went together with some other German Brokies to the theatre last sunday to watch BBM. The theatre was nearly full and after the movie there was a public discussion about Ennis & Jack. Was quite cool :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2008, 06:56:02 pm »
wow! cool!  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2008, 07:50:59 pm »
You want to know what is silly?  I am very excited about going to the cinema for this!  Because I was in Germany when BBM was playing I never got a chance to go to an American cinema for the big screen experience.  I can't think of a nicer tribute to Heath than to reprise his OSCAR performance on big screens everywhere...!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2008, 08:49:53 pm »

How appropriate.  Beautiful Del Mar by the sea.  Sees the return of Ennis Del Mar.AKA  Heath
Ledger lovely.   Have a great night.

Beautiful mind

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2008, 09:33:29 pm »
I am so excited for you guys and your little Brokie get together. Have a wonderful time and think of me...

I'd say call me, but midnight in California is well past my bedtime! LOL

Hugs to all,

Leslie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2008, 05:19:55 am »
You want to know what is silly?  I am very excited about going to the cinema for this!  Because I was in Germany when BBM was playing I never got a chance to go to an American cinema for the big screen experience.  I can't think of a nicer tribute to Heath than to reprise his OSCAR performance on big screens everywhere...!

Not silly at all Louise! You are soooo lucky. Have a great time everyone!  :)

Hey there!

I went together with some other German Brokies to the theatre last sunday to watch BBM. The theatre was nearly full and after the movie there was a public discussion about Ennis & Jack. Was quite cool :)

Lucky you, I wish it was on the big screen here in Belgium somewhere. No such luck.  :-\

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2008, 05:06:47 pm »
Oohhhhhh, it was sooooo  good.  Good picture.  Good sound.  Good audience.

Goin' back fer more tonight!  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2008, 05:27:24 pm »
I expect to be checking in at the Travelodge about 6, I want to take my time - I don't like driving on the 17.  I'll phone when I am there, Eric!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2008, 05:34:54 pm »
Ok.  I'll probably be gettin' back to the Travelodge at 8 or so.  Melinda and John will be there around then too.  Pete may or may not be able to come.

Ooohhh, I can't wait to see it AGAIN tonight.  Soooo good.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2008, 06:48:38 pm »
I got your message earlier about how good the sound and the print are -- this is a good thing.  I never dreamed I'd be going to a theater to see Brokeback again in 2008!!!  fantastic.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2008, 12:34:48 am »
I got your message earlier about how good the sound and the print are -- this is a good thing.  I never dreamed I'd be going to a theater to see Brokeback again in 2008!!!  fantastic.

And to me the Castro is THE theater to see it at too.  Eric, was there organ music?

Video by lovely sfericsf, silhouette of lovely RouxB:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDg9PVbqBxo[/youtube]

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2008, 06:53:00 am »
We just got back from seeing Brokeback at the Del Mar... what a fantastic experience!

Eric has pictures, which I'm sure he'll put up sometime tomorrow.  It's almost 3 a.m and I am wide awake.  Bravo Heath, Bravo Jake... it was great.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2008, 08:26:13 am »
glad y'all had fun!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2008, 08:45:02 am »
We just got back from seeing Brokeback at the Del Mar... what a fantastic experience!

Eric has pictures, which I'm sure he'll put up sometime tomorrow.  It's almost 3 a.m and I am wide awake.  Bravo Heath, Bravo Jake... it was great.

I can't wait to see the pictures. I am so glad everyone had fun!

L

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2008, 06:15:06 pm »
It has been a fantastic two days.  I am truly blessed to be able to see BBM on the big screen two weekends in a row and two nights each weekend! 

The Del Mar theatre put on an EXCELLENT show for us both nights.  The picture quality was bright and vibrant, with the colors glowing and glorious on the big screen.  Excellent projection equipment and an excellent print of the movie.  The sound was fantastic.  They were running it in Dolby Digital, which is different from how the Castro runs it in DTS, and the theatre's sound system was EQ'd perfectly IMO.  They were big on the surrounds, yet the center channel dialogue was clear and crisp.  We heard lot's of the surrounding sounds such as the wind blowing, cigarettes being smoked, etc. etc, and I think this was the loudest I've ever heard Lureen's radio playing "I Love Doing Texas With You" on her desk in the blue parka scene!  I can't compare the Castro vs. the Del Mar, as they are two equally and separate excellent presentations of the movie.  But oh man, the bright picture and vibrant colors will stick with me forever, especially the tussle scene.  Wow!

Thank you Del Mar theatre in Santa Cruz for an excellent presentation.  I wish more folks could have experienced this.  Pictures coming soon!   :D

Next up next weekend:  CASTRO THEATRE - San Francisco  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2008, 06:38:30 pm »
Thanks for the great reports! I would so love to hear cigarettes being smoked (apologies to Leslie).

;D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2008, 06:44:07 pm »
Ticket stubs.  :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2008, 07:05:11 pm »
Video courtesy of BayCityJohn.  :)

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Itfw_HrFpe8[/youtube]

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2008, 07:09:11 pm »
Howdy, back at you! What's that you're wearing? A coat?!?! In Santa Cruz?!? C'mon!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2008, 07:10:51 pm »
Howdy, back at you! What's that you're wearing? A coat?!?! In Santa Cruz?!? C'mon!!

It was friggin' freezin' and the wind was blowin'.  'Tis winter ya know.  ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2008, 12:11:23 am »
Here's our host and weekend film event organizer!  I had taken a few other photos, none of which came out due to a faulty flash.  This is breakfast at the Santa Cruz Diner:

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2008, 02:53:14 am »
*waves to Eric*

Hi Eric, thank you for that wonderful report. You are sooooo lucky!! And reading about the fantastic sound and colour quality. Wow, that must have been great. I've only heard cigarettes being smokes when i listen with headphones watching certain scenes.

And next weekend you're doing it all over again..*sigh* I wanna move to California (temporarily at least  ;D)!!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2008, 03:13:42 pm »
More pictures of the evenings at the DEL MAR THEATRE can be found here:  :D

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,17247.msg337089.html#msg337089

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2008, 02:29:20 am »
:D  :D Castro Theatre - San Francisco - This Sunday and Monday  :D :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2008, 04:11:05 am »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2008, 02:10:36 pm »
Brokeback Mountain is in a theatre again next week for three days (Mon-Wed).

After reading Erics beautiful and heartfelt report about his viewings (it's over in the Social Events forum) I'm actually thinking about going to the theatre and seeing it.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2008, 02:33:42 pm »
Brokeback Mountain is in a theatre again next week for three days (Mon-Wed).

After reading Erics beautiful and heartfelt report about his viewings (it's over in the Social Events forum) I'm actually thinking about going to the theatre and seeing it.

How far away is it for you? A long drive?

L

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2008, 04:04:48 pm »
How far away is it for you? A long drive?

L

Ca. 60 kilometers, a little more than an hour to drive (one way). But the distance is not important, (almost) no distance is too far for a Brokie.
I'm not sure I'm ready to see it again yet  :-\. I still have the feeling I can't  :(.
But Eric's post made me want to go to the theatre and see it, on some level. *sigh* If only they had shown it before Jan 22.

If only Jan 22 had been a normal day... :( :( :(

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2008, 03:06:07 pm »
By all means GO SEE IT Chrissi.  You won't regret it.  You WILL regret it if you don't.  We can watch the DVD anytime, but there's NOTHING like seein' it on the BIG SCREEN.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2008, 03:29:39 pm »
Yeah, what Eric said!  :D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »
I'm going to jump in here too and say you really should go see it.  It seems important not to miss an opportunity to see it on the big screen.  And, it will probably make you feel better.  Watching BBM post-January 22 is a very reassuring experience I think.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2008, 05:19:16 pm »
I can tell you how I felt seeing it on the big screen for the first time in my own language just recently - I felt inspired, particularly as I was paying most attention to Heath's acting during the last half hour of the film.  It was a true inspiration, after seeing a few of his freshman roles in early films, to see him at his finest, and I felt a real joy to get to watch his finest performance.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2008, 05:27:46 pm »
I'm going to jump in here too and say you really should go see it.  It seems important not to miss an opportunity to see it on the big screen.  And, it will probably make you feel better.  Watching BBM post-January 22 is a very reassuring experience I think.

I wholeheartedly agree. I wish I could see it on the big screen again.  :-\

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2008, 12:13:24 am »
Chrissi, I don't feel ready either - yet you have the chance.  Complicated.  I'm glad I don't have the opportunity to make the decision. {{{Chrissi}}}

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2008, 01:38:37 am »
Thanks everybody for your words and ecouragement  :-*
I'll report back tomorrow whether I will have been going and if so, how it went.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2008, 10:04:04 am »
Well, I went and saw it  :)

The theatre was a small arthouse cinema. This month, they play three movies with Heath: BBM, I'm not there (of course, it has just opened in Germany last week) and Monster's Ball. 15 people attended the showing of BBM, including us.

While the sound was remarkably bad (and the movie was of course dubbed in German :P), the picture was good and bright. We could even see the handholding in TS1. I don't know if it was due to the brightness, but never before did I see Heath's wrist tattoo so often and clearly in BBM. Maybe I was just more receptive to it  ???.

It was a very emotional experience. I can't say I was totally absorbed into the movie, as I usually am. I cried for Heath and I cried for Ennis and Jack. Heath' death has added another layer of tragedy to BBM (which I never thought possible) and yesterday I was not able to seperate these two things, everything was mixed in a disquieting way....  :'(

But it was not as bad as it may sound so far, it wasn't bad at all; afterwards I was happy I had seen it. It was so good to see our boys again, somehow it was like coming home after a long time. Despite being mixed and even sadder than before, it was also reassuring (if this makes sense).

Thank you again Eric, for your report in the Social Events forum, and thanks to everybody for their words. Two years gone by, and I am still in awe of Ang Lee and of Heath. And of the fact that so many talented people came together to create this masterpiece. From Proulx over Ossana/McMurtry, Santaolalla, Rodrigo Pietro to the actors and Lee. All fortunes must have meant especially well to bring all those people together.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2008, 10:19:24 am »

But it was not as bad as it may sound so far, it wasn't bad at all; afterwards I was happy I had seen it. It was so good to see our boys again, somehow it was like coming home after a long time. Despite being mixed and even sadder than before, it was also reassuring (if this makes sense).

Hey Chrissi. Glad you decided to go see it! And yes, reassurance! I totally understand.

Two years gone by, and I am still in awe of Ang Lee and of Heath. And of the fact that so many talented people came together to create this masterpiece. From Proulx over Ossana/McMurtry, Santaolalla, Rodrigo Pietro to the actors and Lee. All fortunes must have meant especially well to bring all those people together.

There ain't no reigns on this one!  :-*

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2008, 11:13:50 am »
Hey Chrissi!

Thanks for that great report on your experience seeing BBM.  I'm so glad that the experience was positive for you (if also emotional and somewhat difficult).  I completely agree that the tragedy with Heath adds a big new layer of tragedy over the already profound tragedies illustrated in the film.  Everything about BBM is more intense now for me.

It would be so great to see BBM on the big screen again.  I'm not aware of any screenings that have happened in Pittsburgh recently.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2008, 03:11:17 pm »
Thanks for yer report Chrissi.  I'm glad you went...

Too bad about the sound though, but it seems it was made up in the picture.  :D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2008, 05:52:50 pm »
Thanks for the report, Chrissi. I am glad you were able to see the movie.

L

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2008, 10:31:41 am »
I took some pictures of the theatre and revived the old "BBM Theatre Pictures" thread:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,697.msg344609.html#msg344609

mvansand76

« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2008, 10:59:52 am »
Well, I went and saw it  :)

The theatre was a small arthouse cinema. This month, they play three movies with Heath: BBM, I'm not there (of course, it has just opened in Germany last week) and Monster's Ball. 15 people attended the showing of BBM, including us.

While the sound was remarkably bad (and the movie was of course dubbed in German :P), the picture was good and bright. We could even see the handholding in TS1. I don't know if it was due to the brightness, but never before did I see Heath's wrist tattoo so often and clearly in BBM. Maybe I was just more receptive to it  ???.

It was a very emotional experience. I can't say I was totally absorbed into the movie, as I usually am. I cried for Heath and I cried for Ennis and Jack. Heath' death has added another layer of tragedy to BBM (which I never thought possible) and yesterday I was not able to seperate these two things, everything was mixed in a disquieting way....  :'(

Thank you again Eric, for your report in the Social Events forum, and thanks to everybody for their words. Two years gone by, and I am still in awe of Ang Lee and of Heath. And of the fact that so many talented people came together to create this masterpiece. From Proulx over Ossana/McMurtry, Santaolalla, Rodrigo Pietro to the actors and Lee. All fortunes must have meant especially well to bring all those people together.

Thank you, Chrissi, for this....

I also saw it last Sunday in an art-house cinema and I reacted very strongly to that little Focus Features sound and the headlights before the movie starts. That sound will always be BBM to me. Did you have that same reaction?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2008, 11:30:34 am »
...and I reacted very strongly to that little Focus Features sound and the headlights before the movie starts. That sound will always be BBM to me. Did you have that same reaction?

Absolutely! Kerstin and I even talked about it on our way home. The Focus Feature logo alone gives us goosebumps (also the RiverRoad logo). Exactly like you said: it will always mean BBM to me.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2008, 02:40:35 pm »
When we saw Lust, Caution in the cinema, both logos appeared. That gave me goosebumps too. I hadn't seen that since BBM.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2008, 12:06:30 am »
I took some pictures of the theatre and revived the old "BBM Theatre Pictures" thread:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,697.msg344609.html#msg344609

:D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2008, 12:30:49 am »
A gentleman was conducting interviews of folks buying tickets at the Castro Theatre on the Monday night screening.  Although my interview wasn't used ( :-\ ), you can see me in the background at the 4:05 minute mark. :D 

The guy crying is my good friend Marc from the DCF board.

This is an excellent video:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNBVS6JErw[/youtube]

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2008, 12:36:33 am »
For those lucky enough to be in Montreal, Brokeback and Candy are coming back to the big screen!  One night only! next Wednesday (March 12th)

Cinéma du Parc: There's so much energy emanating from our venerable rep house it may be time for a random drug test. Events include an exclusive screening of the seldom-seen 1964 Latino-communist classic Soy Cuba (I am Cuba), championed by Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola. English-subtitled screenings are at 9 p.m. through Tuesday. Wednesday, there's a tribute to Heath Ledger, with screenings of the late actor's breakthrough Brokeback Mountain (7 p.m. with French subtitles) and, at 9:30, a rare screening of the 2006 Australian drama Candy, with Ledger as an outsider poet. Thursday the Parc welcomes the 12th edition of Festivalissimo, a celebration of Ibero-Latin American culture, until March 27. Busy, busy. 514-281-1900. (JG)

http://www.canada.com/cityguides/montreal/story.html?id=18e82652-74f5-462e-96d9-e7556499d881&k=92134