Author Topic: Are We There, Folks? The Brokeback Mountain Cake!  (Read 6214 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Are We There, Folks? The Brokeback Mountain Cake!
« on: March 12, 2006, 05:11:46 pm »
I did a double-take on Friday afternoon while shopping at an area grocery store. While walking past the bakery case filled with dozens of freshly made cakes, one caught me by the eye because it had this enormous mound of whipped cream frosting formed into the shape of a mountain range. As my eyes followed the side of the mountain down into the valley floor below, there were perhaps a dozen buttercream frosting sheep with small dimples for eyes, and touches of pink for ears.

The sheep were all clustered together around a meandering river crossing the cake. And sitting halfway up on that mountain? A small paper tent and two plastic cowboy figures, one outstretched on the fluffy frosting, the other standing atop it.

Yes, my friends, here before me was the unofficial Brokeback Mountain Cake!

I was stunned to say the least, especially because this particular store was a county away from the city. I was deep in guns and pick-up truck country, yet here it was… one brave cake nestled amongst the traditional festooned roses and buds, balloons, cartoon characters, and whatever else they like to put on cakes these days.

One of the decorators I knew at the store was watching me watching this cake. I started to inquire but she interrupted me straight away.

“Yes, it’s a Brokeback cake,” she said with a smile.

“We actually did a whole series on the Oscar winners and they’ve been selling out, including the Brokeback cake,” she said.

Immediately I began to imagine what in the world would be on the Crash cake… mayhem in frosting? Would there be enough room for 90+ people on the cake? But she pointed to the Japanese themed cake instead. Ah, another winner… Memoirs of a Geisha.

Come to think of it now, what in the world would they have done for Syriana? Or Munich? Perhaps Brokeback Mountain was an easier cake to design after all.

Needless to say, I was also surprised to learn that nobody had a said a word about the two cowboys on a cake. Perhaps few understood the connection—they did not go out of their way to advertise it. Unfortunately, my camera phone was down and out so no picture-taking opportunities for me.

It was an amazing sight though. Certainly living in a “blue state” like New York makes it easier to pull this off, but this was also in a store in a county that votes conservative in most elections, so it has to say something about how far we’ve come in this country to feel safe enough to lay a cake out with Jack & Ennis on it for all the world to see… and buy… and eat!

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
Re: Are We There, Folks? The Brokeback Mountain Cake!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 09:37:00 pm »
Yowzah!!!  My jaw dropped when I read about the cake...Philip.  I can't even imagine your surprise when you saw it!!   :o 

"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 09:47:57 pm »
I love the idea of a BBM cake.  That's just so kooky. :laugh:
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 11:36:55 pm »
Oh Man!  They don't have those here is California but if they did I'd want that cake for my birthday in June! ;D

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 11:55:51 pm »
I love it!

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 02:10:14 pm »
Oh Man!  They don't have those here is California but if they did I'd want that cake for my birthday in June! ;D

Vic. you know it wouldn't be too hard to get that made. I'd even bet the people at Von's or Ralph's would do it.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 04:46:35 pm »
bump. 

this made me chuckle!  too bad Phillip didn't get a photo!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 04:53:44 pm »
LOL!

I love the idea of a Brokeback cake!

Someone ought to make one for the next big gathering!   ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 05:02:01 pm »
How appropriate is it that it was our Mayor that come on that cake?  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 05:08:44 pm »
How appropriate is it that it was our Mayor that come on that cake?  ;D

"What in the hell happened, Mayor?"

"Come on a cake, is what happened."

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 07:11:22 pm »

That is so beautiful.  Too bad that there is no photo.  It would make a wonderful banner   So fitting that it was during the annual period that is Brokeback Birthday time as well.

Beautiful mind