Author Topic: Project! We Need Pictures  (Read 42006 times)

iluvchocolate

Re: Project! We Need Pictures
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2006, 10:11:39 pm »
Front-ranger and toast,  allot of the small,older farm buildings, here in this part of the province anyhow are run down to this kind of shape.  Many buildings are allot like the Twist farm.  When approaching the site on the highway all you can really see is the green tarp that is now covering the roof.  I think of it wasn't for the green tarp we would have missed the house completely

I hope.... no I pray, that the owner of the land is fixing it up, trying to preserve the site. If not for the sake of BBM, for the sake of the history that lies in the house not just with the making of brokeback, but the history that started I would think close to 80 years ago.

horo35

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2006, 10:12:45 pm »
And here is the JT Bar that Ennis walks in front of to make the phone call to Laureen. Notice you can also see the Childress dance hall (bank) across the street. I'm seen in the 3rd pic walking towards the  imaginary phone booth to make that call! :laugh: The second pic shows the surrounding area that Ennis walks by.  All of this is in Rockyford, AB
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 12:53:31 am by horo35 »

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Good Work Folks - Love those Pics
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2006, 10:30:32 pm »

Thank You Horo and Luv.

This is so cool
I love the tour you are giving us.
You almost have me thinking I can be Ang Lee and his cinematographer.
If one had a portable DVD player and a couple of buddies in cowboy hats, you could have so much fun getting the angles right.
You are also making me realize how much of the film is actually Ennis scenes.
The film is really about Ennis.

Toast

ps the deep blue sky in the street scene reminded of one of the sadder paragraphs in the story:

Annie Proulx wrote:

Going up, the day was fine but the trail deep-drifted and slopping wet at the margins. They left it to wind through a slashy cut, leading the horses through brittle branchwood, Jack, the same eagle feather in his old hat, lifting his head in the heated noon to take the air scented with resinous lodgepole, the dry needle duff and hot rock, bitter juniper crushed beneath the horses' hooves. Ennis, weather-eyed, looked west for the heated cumulus that might come up on such a day but the boneless blue was so deep, said Jack, that he might drown looking up.

I can tell that you have seen the movie and enjoyed it.
 But have you read the short story as well?

horo35

Re: Good Work Folks - Love those Pics
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2006, 10:36:55 pm »

I can tell that you have seen the movie and enjoyed it.
 But have you read the short story as well?

Yes I have read the story...I actually have the book.  Although I wish I would've read the story 1st THEN seen the movie because I think I would've appreciated it all the more.  Unfortunately I never heard of the book until I saw media reports on the movie.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2006, 11:22:36 pm »

Gneiss rock, meryl. ;) :D

(Actually, I think the composition of this photo is particularly gorgeous, too. And the one with the fence, and the one with the barn in the foreground, and the one with the mist...)

horo, those are really cool photos of the movie sites. :)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2006, 12:24:46 am »
Thanks, Mel, glad you liked!  Here are some more photos of the Tetons by my brother Skip:

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2006, 12:30:53 am »
Meryl, your brother is an awesome photographer! Thanks for sharing!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2006, 10:02:18 pm »
I've just finished post #76, and anxiously await the next installment.  Horo35, your photos are great, as are the rest of them.  In the post where you show the bar where Jack and Ennis go for a drink, you said you didn't take a photo of the inside "...due to patrons staring at me."  When my nephew was about 15, he became interested in photography to inhance his 24-hrs-a-day consuming interest in trains and wanted me to teach him to use a better camera than a point-and-shoot (I am a photographer).  And the first rule was never let the on-lookers decide what you will or won't photograph; 2nd one was to not be shy about asking  people to move if they were not wanted in the shot.  One day, a few weeks later, we were at the train museum station in Sacramento (CA) and he asked me to take the picture (because he was embarrased by the crowd) but I told him to do it himself and pay no attention to them....lo and behold, he steped around looking for the shot he wanted (I had turned my attention elsewhere) and suddenly heard him ask everyone in the way to please move back.  They did. And his photo won the photo contest at his school.  I wasn't there to see him get his award, but my sister said he thanked me for encouraging him with his photography.  e has since won many "train related" contests.

So, to you I also say:  photograph what you want, wherever it may be and don't be concerned by on-lookers.

If I was as good with the computer as I am with a camera, well, who knows....

horo35

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2006, 08:53:42 pm »
Well this weekebend we plan on going to the mountains and findning scenes.  I especially want to find the  scene where they are in a dozy embrace.  I'll stand in the pic, the wife will take it and I'll have to give a dozy embrace to a tree or bear or something! :laugh: So watch this thread this weekend for more posts.

iluvchocolate

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2006, 09:15:19 pm »
Dozy embrace to a tree or bear huh???? well.... Ahhhhh I'm busy washing my hair this weekend you and the tree and the bear are by your selfs LOL :laugh: ::) ;D