Author Topic: OSCAR TRIBUTE????  (Read 10132 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: OSCAR TRIBUTE????
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 08:35:07 am »
I wouldn't want a pity-Oscar either. Heath deserves better. They blew it to give him the Oscar he deserved, and now it's too late.  :(

Agree with that, Chrissi. Heath was robbed of his one rightful Oscar and nothing can change that.

But if he were to get nominated for the Joker, and if he were to win, I don't think it'd count as a pity-Oscar at all.  It's just been 2 weeks now... but by the time the next round of Oscar nominations roll around it will have been a year. A long time in Hollywood terms, - to the average Academy member I don't think there will be much strong emotion left, not enough "pity" to make them vote for Oscars for that reason. So much will have happened in the meantime to refocus their attention and stir their emotions. This is not even criticism of them, it's just a realization that such is the impact of time and distance on human nature and especially in an environment and industry so competitively focused on the "hot-thing-of-the-moment" as Hollywoodland.

In fact, if they were to give out an Oscar or nomination for the Joker, it would have to be on the strength of an amazingly, incredibly outstanding performance, one that couldn't be overlooked even if they tried - because they would have to be so awed they'd go against their natural inclination, which very obviously is to reward and to scratch the back of someone reasonable deserving who will be able to later on somehow scratch theirs in return.  :-\  :-\  Or to reward someone they owe, and who is around to actually acknowledge the downpayment of the debt.  :-\ :-\

All that said, I am entirely content to wait till I see Heath's actual TDK performance before I speculate more about awards and such. Yes, I've read the interwievs that hyped the performance while Heath was still alive, and yes, I've seen the trailer and that looks good, - but judging the role based on that hype and the trailer and one clip from the film, all of it so obviously parts of a PR strategy designed to stir the fanbase audiences, - that's entirely premature IMO.

The fact that TDK is some way off yet means we have something great and new from Heath still to look forward to. I'm not eager for that to change.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 09:53:14 am »
I don't think there will be an posthumous Oscar for Heath, and honestly, I don't even think it would be a good idea, because now that we know how they work, we would all know it wouldn't be sincere.. And frankly – but I could be wrong – deep down I think Heath didn't care for awards of that sort.. Well, I know I don't. I watch the Oscars though, but only to see a few of the celebrities I know, outside the series/movie characters they are known for. There is YouTube now, but otherwise it's not that often that you get to see celebrities invited for an interview on European television channels.

Anyway, I would want to see a longer-than usual tribute for Heath, when they list all the actors who passed away since the last Oscars. But it would still feel weird, I'm sure. I wonder if people will stand up and give him an ovation. Though, that might be odd too.

I'd like also to add, that we ought not forget Brad Renfro who died just the week before and I've read also that one of Marlon Brando's sons died in January. It's double meaningful, since Heath Ledger was often referred to as the next Brando. .. I don't like comparisons, but I'm sure it was a title that Heath didn't mind.

But who am I to know anything about Heath. I just hope that the Oscar-tribute whatever it is, will be a decent one.

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline whatthefuckbenj

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 02:21:56 pm »
I totally agree with you. I think he should be awarded the Oscar he should have got for BBM posthumously. He deserves it and it,s the right thing to do. Bless him. :'(

I agree! He should have gotten that oscar for BBM anyway; it's long over due!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 04:21:33 am »
Since this is likely to be on many people's mind in the upcoming week (the Dark Knight is premiering today or tomorrow), I thought I'd bump this up to the top (from near the bottom of this forum) with a reprise of my post from way back when:

I still believe that, based on the talk about Heath's performance as the Joker, he is likely to get nominated (and possibly win) on merit.

He's apparently given a Ennis like out of the ordinary, tour-de-force performance and because of that, and in spite of the fact that it's a genre film and character, I believe it is quite possible that he will be nominated. Why has virtually all the promotion of the movie, and the 'wow' comments been centered on the Joker? His outstanding performance.

Course this is all still just speculation, but I chose to believe.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer