Author Topic: Annie Proulx work is a MASTERPIECE:Brokeback Mountain  (Read 10279 times)

pinku

Annie Proulx work is a MASTERPIECE:Brokeback Mountain
« on: May 20, 2006, 05:05:32 am »

I will talk only about Brokeback Mountain. Annie’s style is of clipped sentences, disjointed words that produce a remarkable semblance of intense empathy for her characters. The sexual content of this story is highly sensual and seem terrifyingly real as if the scenes leap out from the pages of the book. She is a highly stylized writer and commands a unique mastery over the usage of language that in a way creates a league of which she is the sole owner. Her finely etched characters seem so absolutely real that you feel a surge of pain when Jack Twist dies.
She exhibits explosive finesse towards the end as the main protagonist Ennis enters a twilight zone, bereft of friends, family and most importantly his soul mate Jack Twist. Ennis is poor and living in abject poverty, pining for his love and pining so hard that you as a reader almost lament the death of Jack Twist. You’re assured that it is the end of the line for Ennis. A hopeless existence, a mere pretence of a life! Now, he dreams about Jack and wakes up crying or having ejaculated in sleep. This is real melodrama; the writer gifts Ennis’s hopelessness to you. You’re forced to introspect your own life and come up with parallels, for instance, I still dream of not doing well in my exams and waking up thinking I have failed.
This is a remarkable gift that this writer possesses for this is not a story but an almost unwanted intrusion into your own life. A chance to revise your own unfulfilled dreams, little tragedies, sorrows and the same feeling of helplessness that is now the fate of Ennis. Such was the brilliance of her dialogues that they were used in tact on the movie version. This shows the caliber of the writer. Absolutely riveting, a dazzling piece of work, exquisite execution and rendition akin to a beautiful song – This is a Major Literary
work.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 05:31:02 pm by Phillip »

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Annie Proulx work is a MASTERPIECE:Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 05:46:20 am »
Beauty, pinku

- lovely post

- and welcome to our family of troubled, rejuvenated and to some extent - born again souls.

Hope you find here what you came looking for.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 06:15:42 am »
Great stuff pinku!  Well said!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

pinku

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 06:28:00 am »
I am an avid reader but this book has had a almost magical effect on me. I just keep on watching the movie, reading the story and listening the haunting track. For no rhyme or reason I am absolutely paralysed mentally. The biggest fool I am I feel this work of fiction is real and Ennis' pain is my pain. I keep on crying, it is like watching Satyajit Ray's Pather Panchali albiet on a different level. I am absolutely emotionally charged! What has she done? What spell has she cast?

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 06:47:45 am »
This too shall pass - but the love will remain, and thus a cult is created. No seriously, I don't understand your references, but rest assured, that some of us, who have first been treated to the movie for many months can admit to the fact that life goes on, but the memory of those good feelings (admit it - there are very good feelings too!) will stay with you for a very long time and certainly the BBM experience will have been well worth it.

I've watched the movie about 10 times in the theatre, read the book about 15 times, heard the book a couple o times, and seen the DVD on an illegal copy (on my computor), and a store bought copy on my TV another 15 -20 times. You are not alone. Oh and I spend about 5 to 7 hours a day on this site!

PS: Ennis IS real - he certainly feels real to me too.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 09:38:10 am »
I know exactly what you mean pinku! The heartbreaking brilliance of this movie lies in it's seeming realism, amongst many other excellent factors...

I love this movie, book, soundtrack... Brokeback is the BEST.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 09:53:23 am »
We all feel your pain, pinku.  Ennis is real to all of us.  I've read the story 5 times, seen the movie 12 times, and seen a beautiful montage of the most poignant moments between Jack and Ennis on my computer countless times.  And my heart is still stopped and pulled into my throat every time I watch Ennis back away from the shirts hanging in his trailer closet.

Thank you for your lovely post.  You captured Annie Proulx's gift beautifully.
No more beans!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 11:21:11 am »
This is a remarkable gift that this writer possesses for this is not a story but an almost unwanted intrusion into your own life. A chance to revise your own unfulfilled dreams, little tragedies, sorrows and the same feeling of helplessness that is now the fate of Ennis.

Pinku -  This is some of the 'message' I tried to express to others who also saw Brokeback.  Either their lives & choices have been perfect, or they are simply unaware, cause so many just did not see what I saw.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 11:40:54 am »

This is real melodrama;

This is a Major Literary work.

Yes to "a major literary work", but there is nothing "melodramatic" about Brokeback Mountain. 

"Melodrama is a drama, such as a play, film, or television program, characterized by exaggerated emotions, stereotypical characters and interpersonal conflicts." www.dictionary.com   

Brokeback is anything but melodrama and that's why it is great.

Rayn
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 01:48:38 pm by Rayn »

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 02:17:27 pm »
OK - Am I missing something? 

I think what we all didn't understand and perhaps what pinku was or is too shy to tell us, is that he's not a native speaker of English.  He hasn't said so, but that appears to be part of the problem: Misunderstanding one another.  

Gosh that happens too often, doesn't it?   And I hope pinku does come back. No one's trying to run him off, you know.  We're just trying to understand one another...    I think?  Aren't we?  Huh? (confused grin)

Rayn