Author Topic: Annie Proulx work is a MASTERPIECE:Brokeback Mountain  (Read 10276 times)

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
Re: Annie Proulx work is a MASTERPIECE:Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 04:10:43 pm »
Annie Proulx's writing is concerned with a particular American idiom, the kind you say British people ridiucule; the kind some of us are using here.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 12:42:30 am by Phillip »

vkm91941

Comment
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 05:11:53 pm »
This thread has been modified at the request of Philip, our Webmaster and administrator.  Personal Attacks of any kind are not allowed on this forum.  Please respect this rule in the future and enjoy your time here.  Thank you for your cooperation.

pinku

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 05:56:02 pm »
Many eminent critics have described the movie as a melodrama! Among them are Ann Hornaday of Washington Post and Phil Hall of Film Threat!

pinku

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 01:02:12 am »
Brokeback Mountain possesses handsome and sympathetic lead players, magnificent scenery, heartbreaking melodrama, righteousness and cultural import.

Sourced from http://www.metacritic.com/video/titles/brokebackmountain

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 03:46:12 am »
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, a personal view, but no one is required to agree with every opinion.  Critics are just people with opinions.  In my opinion, Brokeback Mountain is not a melodrama.  In fact, I feel that calling BBM melodramatic is an insult to the author.  I also think critics who claim it is melodramatic are using incorrect diction when they write about Brokeback Mountain.  That's how I feel based on what I know (an educated opinion) and I stand by it. 

Yours truly,
Rayn

pinku

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 04:18:08 am »

Some convenient pivots for a heart-tugging brochure of romance in Dixie land are certainly in place: handsome lovers croon in front of panoramic Southern American landscapes humming with natural activity and pastoral life, while a melodramatic boon in the background configures them as partners picking the fruits of forbidden love.
sourced from : http://www.infilm.com.au/reviews/brokebackmountain.htm

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006, 06:24:52 am »
--- With reference to personal attacks and moderation ---

I think people should remember that we are a family here, and that everyone here has a responsibility to get along with everyone else.  No one person's opinion is more right than any other.  BetterMost was created by Phillip as a way for us to move forward in our lives, and we are privileged to be here:

BetterMost was created so that we could explore the movie's themes and its impact on each of us, and then how we can apply those themes to our own lives.  What can we take from this film and build on within ourselves.  Maybe you need encouragement to follow through on your own dreams, but have not done so out of fear or need support so you don't feel like you are doing it all alone.  Perhaps there are issues in your own life dealing with love or sexuality that you want to safely discuss with a compassionate group of people.  Perhaps you fear your life is already destined to end up like Ennis and want to find a way to make sure that doesn't happen.

We all come into this with one point of commonality - we've all been touched by Brokeback Mountain and we can all relate to the characters and the messages of the film.  At first, I'm sure we're all going to dwell heavily on the movie itself, and that's fine.  But eventually I want to see us move forward together as online friends to carry on our lives in a way that honors the film even after it's no longer obsessing us to the point of distraction.

I would go so far to say that the petty squabbles we seen in this thread are exactly NOT what we want to see here.  One of the messages I took away from Brokeback Mountain was that I wasn't going to stand by while one person hurts another and calls it "an opinion".  A cultural attack (including the American-ese versus the English-ese debate) is not an opinion, it is racism, and it is not welcome here.

There is only one qualification to join BetterMost and that's to have a love for Brokeback Mountain and want to make positive changes in your life.  The sentiments in the OP of this thread are beautiful as are many of the replies.  I ask that all posts from now on are written with the reader's feelings in mind.  If you do not agree with a post and wish to say so, it is not difficult to word your thoughts positively and constructively.  If you cannot do this, or if you do not think it is important consideration, then please save yourself (and the rest of us) the trouble, buy yourself a diary, and write to the only person that wont disagree with you or get offended (that's you by the way).
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 11:22:10 am »
Victoria -

I am glad these threads are being monitored and rudeness is being deleted.  That was the reason for my
OK - Am I missing something?
post.  I hope you didn't think I was trying to continue the issue - I was trying to get those involved to look at what they were posting.

LJ
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline ProwlAmongUs

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Have a great day. . .
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 09:20:50 pm »
There are so many opinions and variation in definitions, it's difficult to pin down a genre sometimes. The College Handbook of Creative Writing defines melodrama as: "A play or movie with implausibly exaggerated actions and emotions and not much depth or literary value."

No matter what "handbook" we use, the true value of Brokeback Mountain lies with the those who love it and with the enormous reaction from the public.
Nightmares may be products of our subconscious, but dreams are magic windows through which we see our desired reality.

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 12:57:59 pm »
(I would go so far to say that the petty squabbles we seen in this thread are exactly NOT what we want to see here.  One of the messages I took away from Brokeback Mountain was that I wasn't going to stand by while one person hurts another and calls it "an opinion".  A cultural attack (including the American-ese versus the English-ese debate) is not an opinion, it is racism, and it is not welcome here.)

Thank you for that, from a Brokeback addicted Brit. :) :) :) :)
Boy am I glad I found this place. As us Brits would say, cheers!! ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 12:59:50 pm by Jane »
Always and forever. J&E.xx