Author Topic: I was expelled after making a Brokeback tribute film.  (Read 9992 times)

Offline donnaread

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: I was expelled after making a Brokeback tribute film.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 09:32:19 pm »
This article just appeared in The Advocate, saying Brandon has been invited back to his school. 

Brandon, is this true?  If so, is this a victory or just the spin your school made to make the publicity go away?

In any case, you're definitely getting attention!  ;D

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid28048.asp
Go Brandon, yea!   

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 05:05:47 am »
BRANDON!!!  Very KEWL!!   Proud of you Brandon!! 
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 02:50:04 pm »
Congratulations, Brandon -- very good work!
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline BrandonFlyte

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 04:50:42 pm »
As a lot of you have probably read, I've been slammed by today's edition of the Oregonian. (Article available online)

Please visit www.BrandonFlyte.com for my rebuttal.

This fight is far from over.

-Brandon

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 12:50:58 am »
I replied on the site:

Welcome to another day in the world of the media and culture wars.  As I indicated to Brandon from the outset (and unlike so many who would offer their opinion - I actually communicated with him prior to this becoming a major issue), this was going to be a story that would likely draw a lot of media attention because it comes at a time when people are still discussing the film in the media.  Further, as part of the culture war, there would be an obvious media angle here.

What I have seen is pretty predictable.  Culture Wars - The Home Game Edition.  I -was- surprised at the shoddy journalism being practiced at The Oregonian which wouldn't pass muster at a high school paper.  Editorial commentary in both the headline and body of the story appears to pass as straight news reporting.  So much for the print press being the last salvation of hard news in this country. Whether or not Brandon "lied" is an opinion and doesn't belong in a headline.  It appears to be Amateur Hour over at that particular newspaper. 

The response by school officials seems more spin and damage control than fact.  Had this been some great misunderstanding, I would have expected to see denials that Brandon was asked to attend community college to complete his education, but instead there was a waffle about it "not being mandatory."  Then why offer it?  As far as Brandon going online with his complaint, welcome to the new world of online citizenry where students can now actually practice First Amendment rights outside of anonymous messages in the high school bathroom.

The odd insertion of the threats to school officials by the reporter in the fourth paragraph was shoddy journalism as well, because it implies that Brandon had something to do with it, particularly coming just after a quote that Brandon allegedly "disrupted" the school.  If this is the kind of "professional journalism" practiced by Ms. Owen, she needs to find another day job.

At this point, the uninformed blog community has gotten into it in all of the predictable ways.  Line up on the side of the culture war you soak in, distribute the second/third/fourth/fifth-hand talking points, and miss the point entirely.

As I suggested at the outset, the ultimate goal here seems to be to get things back the way they were before this debacle occured - Brandon back in school (and going to class).  There is no evidence of a giant publicity stunt here.  Most of the comments from people arriving from the blogs do little more that regurgitate talking points based entirely on the editorial view of the blog site.  How profound of the hit and run comment crowd.

I'd add to BetterMost users:

My personal motivation in all this, as I've written to Brandon, is to see some sort of compromise arrived at between Brandon's parents and school officials.  It's obviously gotten harder with the media attention at this point with everyone now backed into respective corners, but compromise is the only way this issue goes away.  IMHO, that means Brandon goes back to school, does some repenting for his past attendance issues and agrees to be a more responsible student for the remainder of the term, and the school drops the community college nonsense.

As I wrote in Our Daily Thoughts in my mini-blog, I've been reminded of my own high school years after being subjected to Can't Hardly Wait (which BTW has become as common on HBO as Spiderbabe has been on Cinemax/Skinamax in the past few months.)  The high school years are usually annoying to people during the time you are there, but fondly thought of upon reflection years later.  Spending the rest of them parked in a community college is not the best outcome to aim for here.

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 08:09:45 am »
Just viewed Brandon's video that everyone seems to be up in arms about. 

I'm sure Brandon won't mind if I post it here.  It's on his website too...!! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-VoKWe5QHc&search=Brokeback%20High%20Brandon%20Flyte
Here's the infamous Snuggle Scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XQmvEToA0E&search=Brokeback%20High%20Brandon%20Flyte
I think this looks like a damn good job....if you ask me!! 

Hang in there Brandon!! 
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 08:13:32 am »
)  The high school years are usually annoying to people during the time you are there, but fondly thought of upon reflection years later.  Spending the rest of them parked in a community college is not the best outcome to aim for here.

This is SO true Philip.  Those days are NEVER recaptured!!  I'm so glad you've got a hand in all this Philip.  Gives me a sense of relief....for sure!!!

Nancy

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 06:15:32 am »
]I'm sure Brandon won't mind if I post it here.  It's on his website too...!! 

Thanks for posting this link Nancy.

Hey Brandon, you know you're one of those rare individuals that makes me believe that there is hope for this world.  Some of this situation is of your own making, and some of it has been thrust upon you, but as you grow older you will realise that the part you can take the most pride in is how you deal with this situation, after the wheels were set in motion.  For us gays, the most important and cherished straight people in the world are the ones who are so comfortable with their own sexuality that they can be equally comfortable with every one else's.

Kudos to you, for your film, and for your composure in the face of all this attention.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 05:09:49 pm »
This incident just reinforces to me that gay rights ARE civil rights.  How anyone can NOT make that connection is beyond me.
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline brokebackvt

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 07:27:29 pm »
Dude, I left a message on your site. A copy is below.

John

==========================
    Dude! I wish I knew about this sooner. We would have helped you out. Glad to see that you are back at the school you belong in. Best wishes for a successful life and more than anything, Thank You for making that positive movie! You're the greatest straight dude on the planet!