Author Topic: Heath Ledger Film Festival - Saturday Events  (Read 39758 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Heath Ledger Film Festival - Saturday Events
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2008, 11:06:53 pm »
I just got finished.  What a cute film!  And to think I might not have watched it if Heath wasn't in it!

Did anyone else notice all the 'Ennisisms' in his interactions with Julia?  The narrowing eyes and turning away, and his facial expressions when they were arguing?  Holy mackerel, they made my heart jump!  It just goes to show that Heath was able to carry the intimacy and chemistry that he had with attractive female leads into his interaction with Jake on the screen, making the performance even more remarkable.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2008, 11:25:36 pm »
What do you mean, give up? I watched it at 2:00 as planned. (Someone should change the time on the banner btw). I had even spread the word to people on another forum, I hope they didn't show either because it would be embarrassing.  Last week I couldn't get in on the live chat because I guess there is limit to how many java things can be open.  Oh well, it's just not meant to be.

The idea always was that those who were able to...and wanted to watch in real time (using a baseline time of 2 pm EST) could, but that the designated movie could be watched throughout the weekend. Since I was getting on a plane at 2 pm today, I, unfortunately, had to defer my viewing to this evening.

But, I am still glad I watched this again! I liked it much better than the first time I saw it, which I think was a few months after seeing BBM. Then it seemed fun but sort of silly. This time, I just focused on Heath and saw all his little mannerisms and things I know (now) that would grow and mature.

And his smile...oh how I love his smile! And the way he kisses! Swooning here....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2008, 11:40:43 pm »

Okay folks, up next, Heath's breakout role in 'The Patriot' next Saturday.  If you folks would like to have an online chat session during or after the film, we can do that on our computers!  I wasn't sure people wanted to go for that but I would be glad to join chat for the film time.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2008, 08:27:22 am »

Okay folks, up next, Heath's breakout role in 'The Patriot' next Saturday.  If you folks would like to have an online chat session during or after the film, we can do that on our computers!  I wasn't sure people wanted to go for that but I would be glad to join chat for the film time.

Yeah, so I can find myself alone in the chat room again, no thanks, lol!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2008, 10:31:09 am »
I just got finished.  What a cute film!  And to think I might not have watched it if Heath wasn't in it!

Did anyone else notice all the 'Ennisisms' in his interactions with Julia?  The narrowing eyes and turning away, and his facial expressions when they were arguing?  Holy mackerel, they made my heart jump!  It just goes to show that Heath was able to carry the intimacy and chemistry that he had with attractive female leads into his interaction with Jake on the screen, making the performance even more remarkable.

In the car when he drove her home especially!  The way he said one line in that scene was pure Ennis.  Watching the movie again was very bittersweet.  I do seem to enjoy it more with each viewing though, such a cute and very witty film.  Apart from the mediocre soundtrack, it's aging quite well.  A few other thoughts:

1-  The scene with Kat & Patrick in the hay at the end of the paint-ball scene totally reminded me of Ennis & Alma at the end of the tobogganing scene in BbM.

2-  For such a serious & politically aware feminist, Kat's taste in music was rather shallow and top 40-ish wasn't it?  Cruel to be kind...?!

3-  Cameron's friend Michael looked strangely middle-aged for a highschool student I thought. (The way Jonah Hill did in Superbad.)    The actor actually looks younger (and way better) today, lol!

4-  This is total nitpicking but in the pedal boat scene Kat & Patrick are pedalling at different speeds and that's not possible with a single axle pedal boat. ;-)

5-  I just love Allison Janney!  "Now scoot!"

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2008, 11:18:13 am »
I think that this is a great idea even if not everyone is able to watch at 2pm EST. Hopefully all of us will get to watch at some point during the weekend and this brings light to Heath's many movies. And then we can chat about the movie. Definitely do not give up.

Jack

Offline oilgun

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2008, 11:44:18 am »
I think that this is a great idea even if not everyone is able to watch at 2pm EST. Hopefully all of us will get to watch at some point during the weekend and this brings light to Heath's many movies. And then we can chat about the movie. Definitely do not give up.

Jack

I'm certainly not giving up watching the designated films.  Just the 2:00PM thing.  It's an awkward time anyway, right in the middle of the afternoon, plus the last two Saturdays have been beautifully sunny which made it a shame to stay indoors.  I'll watch The Patriot next week for sure, even though it's my least favourite Heath performance in my second least favourite Heath film, the first being The Order/Sin Eater.  I'm not looking forward to watching that again, lol!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2008, 04:18:09 pm »
I have never seen The Patriot so I am looking forward to watching it for the first time. I have to say honestly, though, when Monster's Ball comes up on the schedule, I may skip watching that again. That one, for me, was definitely a "once is enough" movie and knowing what happens to Heath's character--I can't watch that right now.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »
In the car when he drove her home especially!  The way he said one line in that scene was pure Ennis.  Watching the movie again was very bittersweet.  I do seem to enjoy it more with each viewing though, such a cute and very witty film.  Apart from the mediocre soundtrack, it's aging quite well.  A few other thoughts:

1-  The scene with Kat & Patrick in the hay at the end of the paint-ball scene totally reminded me of Ennis & Alma at the end of the tobogganing scene in BbM.

Yes, absolutely.

2-  For such a serious & politically aware feminist, Kat's taste in music was rather shallow and top 40-ish wasn't it?  Cruel to be kind...?!

Hahahaha, true.!

3-  Cameron's friend Michael looked strangely middle-aged for a highschool student I thought. (The way Jonah Hill did in Superbad.)    The actor actually looks younger (and way better) today, lol!

I thought all the male characters were sort of uneven in the way they looked for their ages. Heath looked (and acted) a bit mature for a high school student...which was fine with me, since I thought he was as sexy as the day is long but if we are critiquing on the basis of realism...The female characters came off better, overall, age-wise, imho.

4-  This is total nitpicking but in the pedal boat scene Kat & Patrick are pedalling at different speeds and that's not possible with a single axle pedal boat. ;-)

True!

5-  I just love Allison Janney!  "Now scoot!"

And she writes slash! LOL. Well, not slash, technically (it wasn't m/m) but she was writing an erotic romance. I laughed at that!

L

Offline BelAir

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2008, 08:20:32 pm »

I should be able to watch this one next weekend!
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."