BetterMost Community Blogs > The Twist Family Bible Study

what do you believe?

(1/19) > >>

forsythia12:
i thought maybe we could start a thread, (not sure if it's been done yet, and sorry if it has)  about our religious beliefs, or lack there of, and relate it to bbm.  is anyone a christian on the board?  or any other religion?  has bbm changed your mind about anything?  do you struggle with what you believe vs. what you loved about the movie.  i thought this would be interesting since even jack and ennis talked about what religious beliefs they grew up with, and how they felt about it as adults.
what about non-religious people.  have you been turned off because of the church's prejudices or peoples attitudes?
i don't wish to get into heated debates........just wondering what you all think, and maybe we could learn about each other in a peacefull way, or express our beliefs without judgement.
in college, i took relgious studies, and we had open discussions everyday.  we had so many different beleifs in that small room, and with 30 of us, it was the most interesting conversation i've ever been part of.
anyone want to add to this, or pose a question up for discussion?

mvansand76:
I don't believe in God. I guess that makes me an atheist. In the light of Heath's death I have a hard time when I hear people say "Rest in peace, Heath, you're in a better place now" because what place could ever be better for Heath to be in than with Matilda? I also find it very hard to stomach when people say "God must have had bigger plans for him", because how selfish would it be for a God to take away the father from a 2 year old child, what other purpose would come higher than the purpose of a father to raise his child and see her grow up into a mature woman? But... I also understand that this is something that is comforting to cling to and I do believe that there is more. I do believe that Heath will be his girl's guardian angel and watch her whenever he can. So I guess I don't believe in the concept of a God (and especially not one that we should fear), but I do believe in spirituality.

Mel

souxi:

--- Quote from: Snavel del Snork Snater Snuit on February 03, 2008, 07:03:18 am ---I don't believe in God. I guess that makes me an atheist. In the light of Heath's death I have a hard time when I hear people say "Rest in peace, Heath, you're in a better place now" because what place could ever be better for Heath to be in than with Matilda? I also find it very hard to stomach when people say "God must have had bigger plans for him", because how selfish would it be for a God to take away the father from a 2 year old child, what other purpose would come higher than the purpose of a father to raise his child and see her grow up into a mature woman? But... I also understand that this is something that is comforting to cling to and I do believe that there is more. I do believe that Heath will be his girl's guardian angel and watch her whenever he can. So I guess I don't believe in the concept of a God (and especially not one that we should fear), but I do believe in spirituality.

Mel

--- End quote ---

Exactly right Mel. Surely the best place for Heath to be is here, with his daughter,family and friends who love him? If God had "better plans" for him then I,m afraid God sucks, and I,m catholic by the way. I said this on another thread but I,ll repeat it here. I want to know, WHY God has to take the good ones? Why can,t he take some of the bastards in this world? There,s plenty of them to choose from. It,s just so unfair and it makes me really angry.  >:(

injest:
I wouldn't call you an athiest in this situations...I would call you an agnostic....that is: you believe in something, just none of the established religions...

I was raised fundementalist Pentecostal. Pretty much turned me OFF religion....I do believe there is more to the world than what we see. I just don't believe that you have to be a member of a certain church or believe a specific dogma.

Scott6373:
I can't believe in the dogma and rigidity of organized religion.  Even the so-called liberal religious traditions are stultifying to me.

Very recently my beliefs in "God" and spirituality have been tested, but not in the way that most people might think.  Yes I am questioning the whether or not a spiritual force, a "God" does exist, but it's from the opposite pole that I had been on.  I was convinced that faith in something you may or may not ever see was foolish.  Now I find myself grasping for that spiritual center...perhaps too late, but nevertheless...it's what's happening to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version