Author Topic: Everyone has an accent....  (Read 22718 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Everyone has an accent....
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 02:19:03 am »
If anything it's a Midwestern accent. But I don't have an accent. You have an accent! Everyone else has an accent! We don't talk funny here.

I've always thought the same, David!  :D

And actually, I think that's somewhat objectively true. Actors, actresses, TV news people ... they always sound more Midwestern to me than anything else.

Canadians I think sound very much like Midwesterners, too, except for that "aboot" thing you all have been mentioning. Sometimes I'll be listening to someone on TV and think, "Hold up -- did he just say 'aboot'?" and I'll go look up the person on imdb and sure enough, he's from Canada.

It wasn't until I moved from Minnesota that I realized Minnesotans have an accent. It's that we say "Minnesooootans." Not exactly like the Canadian "aboot" but we say that O with a completely round mouth, in a kind of Scandinavian way, whereas people on the coasts would say something closer to "Minnesoteewwoootons."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 02:22:48 am »

And actually, I think that's somewhat objectively true. Actors, actresses, TV news people ... they always sound more Midwestern to me than anything else.

Canadians I think sound very much like Midwesterners, too, except for that "aboot" thing you all have been mentioning. Sometimes I'll be listening to someone on TV and think, "Hold up -- did he just say 'aboot'?" and I'll go look up the person on imdb and sure enough, he's from Canada.

It wasn't until I moved from Minnesota that I realized Minnesotans have an accent. It's that we say "Minnesooootans." Not exactly like the Canadian "aboot" but we say that O with a completely round mouth, in a kind of Scandinavian way, whereas people on the coasts would say something closer to "Minnesoteewwoootons."

Minnesota is anther place where they sound like their noses are all stuffed up!! :laugh:

(((Katherine)))

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 02:56:13 am »

Katherine, in all fairness since you joked about the Minnesota accent I will joke about mine (By the way, I dated a guy from Minnesota and I thought his accent was quite cute. His name was Tyler. But I digress...)

In Indiana, we say "poosh" instead of push. And we say "deesh" instead of dish. Fish is "feesh". Door is "dow". You get the idea. A magazine subscription is often a magazine "perscription" around here. Not "prescription", it's "PERscription". (That's just bad English). And yes, everyone from Kokomo southward says "ya'll" and "fixin'" as in "fixin' to go run some errands".

Another strange thing we do here, and I didn't even realize it was strange until I worked in retail 20 years ago, is to give people directions using compass points, rather than "turn left" or "turn right". We'll tell folks to "head west on 71st street for 2 miles and then turn south on Keystone avenue". Nobody around here thinks anything of it, but if we say it to an out of towner... WOW!! They will give us confused and often angry looks!  :laugh:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 05:47:08 am »
well if ennis was from canada he'd say "eh?"  instead of "huh?"
lol
i've never heard the difference in how we canadians say "about", but i guess it's true 'cause americans can pick up that i'm from canada; however, i've been told i also have a minnesota accent, 'cause my dad's from there, so i took on some of his "lingo" however, i don't say "ruff"  for roof, and "crik" for "creek"
lol
but yes,..........yes , i say "eh".

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 10:33:38 am »
Minnesota is anther place where they sound like their noses are all stuffed up!! :laugh:

So you're sayeed dad because I'b a Biddesooddad I talk fuddy?

:laugh:

well if ennis was from canada he'd say "eh?"  instead of "huh?"

Oh yeah! I forgot about "eh?"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 04:15:01 pm »
I picked English... by which I mean British (all varieties of British accents).

Some English accents are nice.....but.......is there anyone else out there that feels like I do about David Beckham........he looks so so sexy, and then he opens his mouth and its awful.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 07:15:41 pm »
Some English accents are nice.....but.......is there anyone else out there that feels like I do about David Beckham........he looks so so sexy, and then he opens his mouth and its awful.

Absolutely correct! David Beckham should never speak in public. It's embarrassing!  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 05:15:50 am »
My NZ opinion is biased but to help the readers should they need to distinguish those of us from down under, the best way to tell an Aussie from a Kiwi (NZ) is either the "fish n chip" test or the number 6 test??? (no offense intended to my cousins across the Tazy)
NZ = Fish n Chips
Aussie Feesh n cheeps
NZ  siiix
Aussie seex
As to accents nothing beats a real strong aussie accent (eh mate) or American or well anything other than your own come to think of it

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 05:25:51 am »
My NZ opinion is biased but to help the readers should they need to distinguish those of us from down under, the best way to tell an Aussie from a Kiwi (NZ) is either the "fish n chip" test or the number 6 test??? (no offense intended to my cousins across the Tazy)
NZ = Fish n Chips
Aussie Feesh n cheeps
NZ  siiix
Aussie seex
As to accents nothing beats a real strong aussie accent (eh mate) or American or well anything other than your own come to think of it

Hey......its you kiwis that say "sex" for six.......true....its you not us.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 01:08:23 pm »
funny to our ears six is definitely siix and 3 hours west of here where there are "green alligators and long necked geese" six is definitely sex eh?
Go Rolf Harris ;D