Author Topic: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)  (Read 84250 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)
« Reply #230 on: February 07, 2008, 06:29:11 pm »
I was glad to finally hear the results of the toxocology tests.  The fact that it was ruled as an accidental overdose should put to rest all the speculation and sensationalist media attentiion, and hopefully, as per Heath's father's wishes, allow the family to deal with their grief in private.  I'm hoping that Heath's parents and Michelle and Matilda, along with Jake, will be able to give Heath the peaceful, private, and dignified burial he so deserves.

It seems that Heath and Michelle and little Matilda Rose had for the most part slipped under the radar of the disgustiing paparazzi (whose activities should be deemed as dangerous and totally illegal, in my humble opinion), only to be front and center during such a tragic and emotionally difficult time.  It seems that the paparazzi and tabloid media were making up for lost time.  This is why I am so disgusted with this kind of journalism.

At any rate, I hope that all of those who knew and loved Heath, will eventually come to terms with their loss, and remember with fondness the supremely talented, loving and kind hearted person that he was.

May you rest in peace Heath!

THE WINGS

Very nicely said, Wings.  Couldn't agree with you more on all points if I tried.

No more beans!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2008, 06:29:27 pm »
Its really quite simple. Heath had a drug abuse problem. It matters not if the drugs are illeagle or perscriptions from many Dr's. An "accidental" over dose is just a nicer kinder way of putting it across to the public. I'm sure many of you have multiple bottles of pills in your home right? Would you knowingly take more than is perscribed on the bottles or do so without consulting your Dr. first?  You see many drug abusers will grab what ever they have at hand to try to get high no matter if its perscriptions or illegal drugs, glue whatever. Was he intending to kill himself most likely not, was he trying to get high? probably so, Was the death "accidental" as Heaths father states most likely yes. did they tell the whole truth most likely no because he knew what he was doing when he took the pills. So the term "accidental" is a big stretch for me in this case. I'm sure this is why Michelle Williams left him, she knew he had a drug/substance problem and didn't want the baby around or getting into all of his crap.

Ross - as many of us have just said we are beginning to realise we've done almost exactly the same thing as Heath - we were just lucky.

Janice & Jack --> your comments. Bravo.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #232 on: February 07, 2008, 06:36:09 pm »

Thank you Kelda.  I hope from here on out we can back away and let be. let be.

Beautiful mind

Offline HeathandMichelle

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #233 on: February 07, 2008, 07:06:51 pm »
What stays with me is that many sources  quote Heath as being somewhat upset that Michelle was seeking sole custody.   I don't see Michelle as being  vindictive,  but I do see her as a protective mom.      My beloved dear nephew died at 18 from Oxycontin,   I'm not judging. 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #234 on: February 07, 2008, 07:36:02 pm »
I don't think any news source quoted Heath on that point - there were people who said he was upset about not being able to see Matilda, and a couple who said he was worried that Michelle was going to prevent him from seeing her.  That is also all hearsay - he never told a reporter these things.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #235 on: February 07, 2008, 07:48:08 pm »
Ross as you can see, we are finding your hurtful coments about Heath offensive. The man isn,t even buried yet for heavens sake, show some respect. That,s an awful thing to say.  >:(

Well I guess my "reality" is quite different than yours. However it still does not mean im wrong.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #236 on: February 07, 2008, 07:51:04 pm »
Its really quite simple. Heath had a drug abuse problem. It matters not if the drugs are illeagle or perscriptions from many Dr's. An "accidental" over dose is just a nicer kinder way of putting it across to the public. I'm sure many of you have multiple bottles of pills in your home right? Would you knowingly take more than is perscribed on the bottles or do so without consulting your Dr. first?  You see many drug abusers will grab what ever they have at hand to try to get high no matter if its perscriptions or illegal drugs, glue whatever. Was he intending to kill himself most likely not, was he trying to get high? probably so, Was the death "accidental" as Heaths father states most likely yes. did they tell the whole truth most likely no because he knew what he was doing when he took the pills. So the term "accidental" is a big stretch for me in this case. I'm sure this is why Michelle Williams left him, she knew he had a drug/substance problem and didn't want the baby around or getting into all of his crap.

If you have any reliable evidence that Heath Ledger had an ongoing "problem" with "drug abuse," then I think this community would appreciate it if you would share it.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:24:41 pm by Phillip Dampier »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #237 on: February 07, 2008, 07:56:47 pm »
I disagree with those who want to stop the posting in this thread. (If I interpret the "let be, let be" comments correctly, that's what's being suggested.)

The reasons I post at message boards, and I would expects that's the same for many other posters, are that I get a chance to express what I feel, work through my (strong) emotions and make up my mind about matters through writing about them and reading the opinionof others. I get to "talk stuff through" with others through posting and through struggling to get coherent thoughts down on "paper", and through considering other people's input and opinions. And I get to share joys - and sorrows... That's the point of message boards, isn't it? But it requires that people actually write posts.

Obviously the topic of this thread stirs deep emotions among posters. As I've said, it leaves me personally confused, bewildered and extremely sad. I think it would be a big pity if those of us feeling that way were not allowed to express ourselves on this topic.

So perhaps it's better if those who do not care for the discussion at all just don't read the thread?  ???

It goes without saying though, that I also strongly disagree with posting and presenting hearsay, speculation and rumours, and with presenting any such as fact. And I think it's necessary to be extremely careful in seeing to it that posts are worded decently and politely, with sufficient consideration for the feeling of others, seeing that many readers will be in a vulnerable, grieving state and so will be doubly affected by inconsiderate or crassly worded entries.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #238 on: February 07, 2008, 08:17:25 pm »
Some helpful info on interpreting the coroner's report:

"This is not rock star wretched excess," said Cindy Kuhn, a pharmacology professor at Duke University. "This is a situation that could happen to plenty of people with prescriptions for these kind of drugs."

Kuhn said some of the drugs are long-lasting and Ledger could have taken them over a period of several days. The medical examiner's office wouldn't say what concentrations of each drug were found in Ledger's blood.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/080122/2/15ltq.html?f=mv
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #239 on: February 07, 2008, 08:17:32 pm »

[/quote]
Ross - as many of us have just said we are beginning to realise we've done almost exactly the same thing as Heath - we were just lucky.

Janice & Jack --> your comments. Bravo.

I don't see, RossInIllinois, your point at trying to define and redefine "accidental" and confuse the point, leaving a cloud over Heath himself. "Nicer and kinder" than what? If a tree falls on your parked car, it's an accident; if you are driving your car and hit a tree because you answer you cell phone, it's still an accident.

I also don't understand the point about how people take medication. You may well be a perfect direction follower and can reach out to your doc in a moments notice if you have a question, but most people are not like this. Why do you think those little plastic boxes with days and numbers on them were invented? because most people forget when and how their meds are to be taken and lose track.

I fortunately have never been on anything other than aspirin for a headache here and there, but I have seen how meds work with people.

Even if Heath wasn't confused about when he last took the dose that should have lasted 8 hours or whatever and took them knowing they were over the prescribed amount, do you think it would have been the first time? you yourself call him an abuser; so he probably felt his body had a toleration it did not. That is not, imo, a reason to defame him, it's an honest and understandable mistake.

We all tend to suffer from a need for instant gratification. Got a headache, take a pill, and it should go away in 2 minutes. Can't sleep, take a pill, and cruise off to never never land in 2 minutes. When the medicinal aids do not give the instantaneous relief or desired effect, lots of people take more. I know many people who double the label instructions for tylenol or advil on a regular basis. Same with vitamins which is now becoming a bigger concern that they don't get flushed out harmlessly as once was believed.

even with dangerous pesticides. I know first hand that if a label instructions say one tablespoon per gallon of water, many, many people will double or triple it or more to 'make sure it works'.

so, I suspect Heath, having been accustomed to possibly over doing recreational booze and drugs thought nothing of taking an extra pill or two and thought nothing of combining the meds. I'll bet if he could speak out today he'd say something like "I would have never thought what I took would do me in". He desperately wanted to get rest and sleep; that's a pity. He was a good man and at worst, unwittingly made a serious mistake. I wouldn't label him with anything less.